“Chic Boutique Hotel with Room for Improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Chic Boutique Hotel with Room for Improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the San Juan Water & Beach Club with another couple for a 4 day get-away. Here is our take on the pro's and con's:

What we liked about the property:

1. Hands down the favortie part of our stay was the time we spent in the lobby bar Zest with Jorge the bartender. He is an incredible mixologist and should be working in NYC. We started and ended every night here.
2. The property is close to the airport, so once you land, it doesn't take long to be on the beach.
3. The food in Zest is very delicious. We ate breakfast here every morning.
4. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
5. You can walk to the Ritz and the El San Juan hotels from the property.

Where we would like to see improvement:
1. The food service for the beach is TERRIBLE. If you want a drink or lunch, go inside and get it yourself. Every time we ordered something, it would take over 40 minutes to be delivered.
2. The roof top pool area is much smaller than the pictures. There is room for only 4 lounge chairs.
3. There is very little space to put things in the room. There is a small armoire for a closet. If you brought dresses be prepared to iron them. I wanted to nail hooks on all of the unused wall space.
4. The lunch food upstairs at Mist is the same menu you can get on the beach. Go some where else.
5. At night, the roof top turns into a club, so if you are on a high floor be prepared to be up until 2:00 or after.

Would we stay here again.... maybe, but not for a long time.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are much smaller than others. Ask the front desk when you book.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we respect all feedback and find it helpful for the hotel to learn and grow in all aspects. That is what this forum is for, to hear about the good points of your stay and the areas where we can refocus on our guest’s experience. We appreciate your comments and will surely use them to make sure we are always improving our hotel and service. We hope you have a chance to come back and see us again; we are sure you will enjoy the enhancements.
Yours in hospitality,
Virna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I never write reviews but this hotel def deserve its credit. Ok the hotel was not to far from the airport .My friend and I caught a cab for only $14 . Arriving to the hotel, to our surprise it was directly on the beach . Less then 10 steps and our feet were in the sand . The staff was outstanding very pleasant every step of the way .always asking if we needed anything or attempting to improve our stay . The decor was beautiful very modern and chic. Very relaxing ambiance with deemed light waterfall in the elevator!! . And yes everything is blue , but not so much that u can't take it . The room was gorgeous nice clean king size bed with great view. Bathroom was stand up with glass doors . The only thing bad I can say was there was no hot water our first night, I believe due to the large group of guest coming in from Canada that weekend. The tv was flat screen fixed on a swivel pole that played a American and local stations.No full length mirror . The morning was spent on the beach the staff brought our chairs and set up our umbrella. The waitress walks the beach and takes ur order to enjoy that classic Corona beach scene .
The lounge on the roof was beautiful very spacious with bar . The music at night was great with flashing lights not to many people though. The roof top pool was clean but indeed small .. I did not jump in I enjoyed the beach better . If your into bars the local spots seem to be at EL San Juan hotel just couple blocks away to enjoy The club Brava, JImmy Brother BBq(must go bull riding there !!), or the lounge next to the casino . All other party locations you would need to take a cab to get to the location, pricing about $20 cab fare. Over all my stay was amazing and definitely recommend this hotel .

• Stayed February 2013
It was a pleasure to have you here and I hope you can make it back to the WBC very soon for another stay. We are so happy to hear that you “Girls had an amazing time of relaxation and fun”.
My best,
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The good - outstanding service and we loved being right on the beach with someone to set up chairs and umbrellas for us. The hotel is fun and funky.

The bad - the hotel is hard to drive to-Puerto Rico seems very averse to putting up street signs. The rooms are borderline shabby, which they've hidden with lots of sheer draping and using blacklights so you can't see the details very well. Breakfast was not good - burnt French toast and the oatmeal is a travesty - I was expecting plain oatmeal and got a bowl of smooth and super sweet goo. Lunch on the beach took almost an hour to be served and the steak sandwich was tough and dry, the fries were cold, and the shrimp cocktail was average. The free business center with printer is nice and the concierge was great. The rooms are a bit noisy - we were awakened by a crying child above us twice in one night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We listen to our guests’ feedback and use them as tools to learn and grow. We certainly hope for our guests to have far better than an average stay. We appreciate your comments and will surely use them to make sure we are always improving our hotel and service.
Yours in hospitality,
Powder Springs, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I took a chance with priceline on finding a hotel in Puerto Rico......they did an amazing job when they chose San Juan Water & Beach Club hotel!
Right on the beach.....rooms are great, food & drinks amazing.
10 min drive from the airport
When I entered the hotel....."welcome .....go upstairs and change clothes...by the time you arrive back down I can have a towel, chair, umbrella and a drink waiting for you...."HEAVEN"
I must rave about CARLA at the front desk....great customer service...
JOSEPH at the rooftop bar....very easy on the eyes, great mojito...great service.
I wish I had everyones names because the staff made it such a pleasurable stay.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Room Tip: We stayed in room 209...a little too close to a service area....request a beachfront room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed a piece of our “HEAVEN”. But it is even more special when our team members make such a great impression by the service they offer to our guests. Thank you for this great review, I will definitely pass on your kind words to Carla and Joseph. Hope to welcome you back real soon.
My best,
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is my second visit to this hotel. My first visit 5 years ago was very nice and I remembered that the property was right on the beach and close to the airport. This visit we were only in town for a couple of days and we wanted a convenient location very close to the beach. I thought that San Juan Water Beach hotel would be perfect for my travel needs and it was to a certain extent. This is a nice boutique hotel with pleasant housekeeping, restaurant and beach staff. The food and drinks are good but a little pricey, which is not a big deal and we knew to expect this. My problem was with how my issue was handled by Carla and Abraham. We complained to Carla our first evening regarding a knocking and rolling noise we could hear in our room. We had both a housekeeper and engineer verify the noise but neither had any idea of what the problem could be. We told Carla about our concerns and she stated she would have someone to check into it. Well if someone checked into it we were not told as the knocking continued into the evening but as we were already unpacked and tired we did not feel like moving to another room. The next morning the knocking and rolling stopped so we assumed that the issue was fixed. Unfortunately, it was not and the knocking and rolling woke us up at 4 am the morning of check out. When checking out I told Abraham about our problems and he mentioned that the rooftop tarps were causing the loud noises. I let him know that this didn't really make sense to me and no one followed up with us to explain that or give us an option of switching rooms. He looked at me and stated he showed that Carla looked into this issue. I let him know that was fine but again Carla nor anyone else called us to explain or asked us of we wanted the option of switching rooms. I again waited to see if there would be any type of apology or additinal attemp to turn the situation around in someway. The only thing he did was request that I please put a review in tripadvisor. So here it is...thanks for nothing.

Room Tip: I guess make sure you don't have a room near the rooftop tarps!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
virna c, Front Office Manager-Lleyda Centeno at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
On behalf of the WBC and myself, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for not being able to service you to your expectations regarding this isolated scenario. We were able to identify that your initial concern was due to extreme weather conditions and strong winds during your travel dates. I assure you we have addressed your experience with all my Front Office staff; specially Carla and Abraham. Our guest service is our main focus. We respect and accept all feedback graciously as we embrace it as an opportunity to learn and continue to improve. Recognizing your loyalty and repeat business, I would truly appreciate the opportunity of welcoming you back and assure you that we will certainly exceed your expectations as we did on your first visit.
I remain at your service,
Lleyda Centeno - FOM
Windsor, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great vacations overall - 8 days. We had a car and traveled all over the island. We also liked the hotel - nice design, great location, and staff was great - very professional and helpful. Special thanks to receptionist Danny, concierge Lola, and bell boy Andy. Every time you ask them, they are ready to help - they really care about guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
And it’s all the about the TLC we offer to our guests! Our family members such as Danny, Lola and Andy are what make us shine from all the rest! Hope to welcome you back again.
Warmest regards,
Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I took my 17 year daughter for 3 nights on March27-March30th. We loved the location of this hotel. We were able to walk right out and be on the beach. The staff is wonderful. Chairs and umbrellas are provided on the beach for free. We were able to walk to many restaurants and felt safe at night. There is a Walgreens just to the right of the hotel. A refrigerator is provided in the rooms. We had room 806 and a wonderful view of the ocean. Juan was very helpful at check-in and did everything to make our stay enjoyable. If you want a big resort with a large pool, then this is not the hotel for you. I just wanted to be on the beach. The lounge area on the roof is nice with sofa style chairs. It rained one day and we just enjoyed ourselves on the sofas and read. The hotel is a short ride from the airport. San Juan is a great place for an easy quick getaway!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy to hear that we were just right for you. Big surprises do come in small packages! We hope to welcome back real soon.

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!