“Amazing !!! Two girls looking for fun and relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Tartak St, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Amazing !!! Two girls looking for fun and relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I never write reviews but this hotel def deserve its credit. Ok the hotel was not to far from the airport .My friend and I caught a cab for only $14 . Arriving to the hotel, to our surprise it was directly on the beach . Less then 10 steps and our feet were in the sand . The staff was outstanding very pleasant every step of the way .always asking if we needed anything or attempting to improve our stay . The decor was beautiful very modern and chic. Very relaxing ambiance with deemed light waterfall in the elevator!! . And yes everything is blue , but not so much that u can't take it . The room was gorgeous nice clean king size bed with great view. Bathroom was stand up with glass doors . The only thing bad I can say was there was no hot water our first night, I believe due to the large group of guest coming in from Canada that weekend. The tv was flat screen fixed on a swivel pole that played a American and local stations.No full length mirror . The morning was spent on the beach the staff brought our chairs and set up our umbrella. The waitress walks the beach and takes ur order to enjoy that classic Corona beach scene .
The lounge on the roof was beautiful very spacious with bar . The music at night was great with flashing lights not to many people though. The roof top pool was clean but indeed small .. I did not jump in I enjoyed the beach better . If your into bars the local spots seem to be at EL San Juan hotel just couple blocks away to enjoy The club Brava, JImmy Brother BBq(must go bull riding there !!), or the lounge next to the casino . All other party locations you would need to take a cab to get to the location, pricing about $20 cab fare. Over all my stay was amazing and definitely recommend this hotel .

• Stayed February 2013
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you here and I hope you can make it back to the WBC very soon for another stay. We are so happy to hear that you “Girls had an amazing time of relaxation and fun”.
My best,
Virna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The good - outstanding service and we loved being right on the beach with someone to set up chairs and umbrellas for us. The hotel is fun and funky.

The bad - the hotel is hard to drive to-Puerto Rico seems very averse to putting up street signs. The rooms are borderline shabby, which they've hidden with lots of sheer draping and using blacklights so you can't see the details very well. Breakfast was not good - burnt French toast and the oatmeal is a travesty - I was expecting plain oatmeal and got a bowl of smooth and super sweet goo. Lunch on the beach took almost an hour to be served and the steak sandwich was tough and dry, the fries were cold, and the shrimp cocktail was average. The free business center with printer is nice and the concierge was great. The rooms are a bit noisy - we were awakened by a crying child above us twice in one night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We listen to our guests’ feedback and use them as tools to learn and grow. We certainly hope for our guests to have far better than an average stay. We appreciate your comments and will surely use them to make sure we are always improving our hotel and service.
Yours in hospitality,
Powder Springs, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I took a chance with priceline on finding a hotel in Puerto Rico......they did an amazing job when they chose San Juan Water & Beach Club hotel!
Right on the beach.....rooms are great, food & drinks amazing.
10 min drive from the airport
When I entered the hotel....."welcome .....go upstairs and change clothes...by the time you arrive back down I can have a towel, chair, umbrella and a drink waiting for you...."HEAVEN"
I must rave about CARLA at the front desk....great customer service...
JOSEPH at the rooftop bar....very easy on the eyes, great mojito...great service.
I wish I had everyones names because the staff made it such a pleasurable stay.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Room Tip: We stayed in room 209...a little too close to a service area....request a beachfront room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed a piece of our “HEAVEN”. But it is even more special when our team members make such a great impression by the service they offer to our guests. Thank you for this great review, I will definitely pass on your kind words to Carla and Joseph. Hope to welcome you back real soon.
My best,
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is my second visit to this hotel. My first visit 5 years ago was very nice and I remembered that the property was right on the beach and close to the airport. This visit we were only in town for a couple of days and we wanted a convenient location very close to the beach. I thought that San Juan Water Beach hotel would be perfect for my travel needs and it was to a certain extent. This is a nice boutique hotel with pleasant housekeeping, restaurant and beach staff. The food and drinks are good but a little pricey, which is not a big deal and we knew to expect this. My problem was with how my issue was handled by Carla and Abraham. We complained to Carla our first evening regarding a knocking and rolling noise we could hear in our room. We had both a housekeeper and engineer verify the noise but neither had any idea of what the problem could be. We told Carla about our concerns and she stated she would have someone to check into it. Well if someone checked into it we were not told as the knocking continued into the evening but as we were already unpacked and tired we did not feel like moving to another room. The next morning the knocking and rolling stopped so we assumed that the issue was fixed. Unfortunately, it was not and the knocking and rolling woke us up at 4 am the morning of check out. When checking out I told Abraham about our problems and he mentioned that the rooftop tarps were causing the loud noises. I let him know that this didn't really make sense to me and no one followed up with us to explain that or give us an option of switching rooms. He looked at me and stated he showed that Carla looked into this issue. I let him know that was fine but again Carla nor anyone else called us to explain or asked us of we wanted the option of switching rooms. I again waited to see if there would be any type of apology or additinal attemp to turn the situation around in someway. The only thing he did was request that I please put a review in tripadvisor. So here it is...thanks for nothing.

Room Tip: I guess make sure you don't have a room near the rooftop tarps!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
virna c, Front Office Manager-Lleyda Centeno at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
On behalf of the WBC and myself, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for not being able to service you to your expectations regarding this isolated scenario. We were able to identify that your initial concern was due to extreme weather conditions and strong winds during your travel dates. I assure you we have addressed your experience with all my Front Office staff; specially Carla and Abraham. Our guest service is our main focus. We respect and accept all feedback graciously as we embrace it as an opportunity to learn and continue to improve. Recognizing your loyalty and repeat business, I would truly appreciate the opportunity of welcoming you back and assure you that we will certainly exceed your expectations as we did on your first visit.
I remain at your service,
Lleyda Centeno - FOM
Windsor, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great vacations overall - 8 days. We had a car and traveled all over the island. We also liked the hotel - nice design, great location, and staff was great - very professional and helpful. Special thanks to receptionist Danny, concierge Lola, and bell boy Andy. Every time you ask them, they are ready to help - they really care about guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
And it’s all the about the TLC we offer to our guests! Our family members such as Danny, Lola and Andy are what make us shine from all the rest! Hope to welcome you back again.
Warmest regards,
Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I took my 17 year daughter for 3 nights on March27-March30th. We loved the location of this hotel. We were able to walk right out and be on the beach. The staff is wonderful. Chairs and umbrellas are provided on the beach for free. We were able to walk to many restaurants and felt safe at night. There is a Walgreens just to the right of the hotel. A refrigerator is provided in the rooms. We had room 806 and a wonderful view of the ocean. Juan was very helpful at check-in and did everything to make our stay enjoyable. If you want a big resort with a large pool, then this is not the hotel for you. I just wanted to be on the beach. The lounge area on the roof is nice with sofa style chairs. It rained one day and we just enjoyed ourselves on the sofas and read. The hotel is a short ride from the airport. San Juan is a great place for an easy quick getaway!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy to hear that we were just right for you. Big surprises do come in small packages! We hope to welcome back real soon.
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I were just here from March 24-30th and were really excited to stay here. The hotel looked really chic and cool. Upon arrival we were pleased--it was later at night and check in was fast and friendly.
We are not picky travelers, have traveled to several places (Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Mexico) and are often the people that look for the good things about places we stay at and travel to, rather than focus on the negatives. Below is some of the good, okay, and bad about our stay at the Water Beach Club.

The Good:
The bed in the room is FANTASTIC. I honestly have never slept in a more comfortable bed. If I could have taken that bed home with me, I would have. It was awesome. As was the view in the mornings, facing the beach. We were on the 7th floor and never had trouble sleeping through the night due to noise (but we also had the AC on high so that might have drowned out any sounds). The staff, on a whole (with the exception of our maid, which I will explain later on), was incredibly nice, friendly, and helpful. They were always smiling, willing to help. The concierges were really helpful and gave us some good tips for places to eat for breakfast, ways to get to Old San Juan, etc. as were the front door men helpful for getting taxis and also giving good ideas for places to go.
The sand dune dip at the rooftop bar is delicious and the drinks made are also yummy (but pricey). The rooftop itself is fun to hang out in, and the view is fantastic. The lounge couches are incredibly comfortable to lay out on and enjoy.
The guys who bring out the chairs and umbrellas in the mornings were really great! They worked hard and quickly. Juan was one of the guys we had for the majority of our stay, and he was excellent and friendly, and quick to get our chairs and umbrella for us.

The So-So:
When they say the room is "bed centered" it really is. There is only a small drawer and a thin drawer to put your things away (only fitting about 3 shirts and a pair of pants), as well as a pole to hang about 10 things on. That's it for "storage." We got a mini fridge in our room at an additional cost of $20 for our stay. The main problem that we had with the room was the water pressure in the shower. It was almost non existent, more like a steady drip, which is not really helpful for really cleaning off after a day of sun, sweat and sunscreen. There was not a day that went by that I didn't have to get back in the shower again after I thought I was done (and had scrubbed my skin red) because there were still streaks of sunscreen on my skin. Also, the glass that separates the shower from the rest of the bathroom is not long enough, so there is always water on the floor in the bathroom after a shower.
There is limited food to choose from at the hotel for lunchtime (a few sandwiches and salads, dips), and also pricey for what they were. We ate here once the first day and ended up getting sandwiches elsewhere the rest of the time.

The bad:
Up until the last day, we would have given the hotel a 3.5. The location of the hotel to everything else, is not so great. There's very little to go and do at night in Isla Verde-- taking a taxi to Old San Juan or Condado (easily $15-20 cabs each way) is where there are tons of restaurants and more night life, where you can walk around at night and just discover places. You can't really do that in Isla Verde unless you are trying to 'discover' Chili's, Taco Bell, etc. If we were to come back to Puerto Rico, we would probably stay in Condado--it might be slightly more expensive, but you will pay for it in cab rides anyway.

The main thing that occurred that really changed our rating was the last day. It was a rainy day and almost everything in PR was closed due to holiday. We went to our room in the late afternoon, after it had been cleaned, and when I went to get something from my suitcase (which was on the suitcase rack, off of the floor), there was a bag of trash in my suitcase which was from our bedroom trash can. The maid, for some reason (either out of meanness, or because she was going through my bag), set the trash down in my bag and forgot it there. There had been 2 beer cans in the bag, which leaked onto my clean shorts, so they smelled like beer. Appalled by the whole thing, we went and told the front desk and they were very apologetic, but that was all that was done to take care of the situation--just a "sorry". The next day, (the day we were leaving) we saw this same maid on our floor, who glared at us as we passed her. She was the only maid who was consistently not friendly upon seeing her in the hallways or elevators. And, I hope, she is the only maid who would put trash intentionally, into someone's suitcase and personal belongings. How this situation was dealt with was disappointing. Nothing was offered as compensation, and obviously the maid's duties were still to service our floor, even after that complaint. I'm glad that this happened on the last day because I would not have felt comfortable with her being in our room with our personal belongings. After this incident, and how it was dealt with (or lack thereof), we felt our stay was more of a 2.5. (I have attached a picture of the bag of trash in my suitcase on here so you can see for yourself).

As I said before, if we come back to Puerto Rico, we would stay in Condado, not in Isla Verde and not at the Water Beach Club due to the disgusting practice of the maid that we had and how it was dealt with.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!