“Perfect for the price” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
aibonito
“Perfect for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked through price line and i was amaze nice a moders love the complementary happy hour....... clean could hear the wave from the room the view was excelent . excellent night for the weekends by the locals it hace a nice terrace to have romantic drinks

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Yarmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I just spent seven nights at this hotel through JetBlue Getaways. It was wonderful. The glass elevator has running water on one wall, music and glass overhead, The restaurant Zest is on the first floor and services all rooms and the beach. This hotel is right on the beach. We met a couple who have stayed there five years in a row. The hotel is immaculately clean and the staff could not be more accomidating. They even have maid service at night to turndown, change your towels and take any trash and do anything you wish. They have service on the beach Juan, Victor and Leonardo all will put an elegate chaise lounge chair any where you like and dig a hole to set your umbrella if you wish along with a clean fresh towel. The server from vest has a lunch menu on a frisbee. She also has a drink menu. There is a water cooler to pour yourself a fresh cold drink of water with fresh fruit at the front door when you return from the beach. While lying on the beach they came by with complimentary fruit on a stick and frozen coconut,, The bed was king and new. The television a plasma and ihome charge for my phone. The safe had an electric outlet to charge our tablets.
We will return for sure Xavier the bellman is a great guy and very helpful with
directions. Virma , Guest services is also a very nice person. I spoke to her on the phone before we arrived and made a point to thank her before I left.

Room Tip: We upgraded to partial ocen view for $30 night and got a fridge for $20 for the week
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. It is always a delight to hear such great things about our property and team members. We certainly do make every effort to treat every guest like family. I have passed along your kind words to all those you've mentioned.
So happy you enjoyed our beach treats!

We'll look forward to seeing you again!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I didn't stay at the actual hotel, but went to the rooftop bar. The views are beautiful, the atmosphere is fun and relaxing. Great for a casual night out or for a nice rooftop lunch. The hotel looks great, i'm sure it would be a nice place to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
You said it all!! Great review! So glad to hear you were able to experience and appreciate our rooftop "Mist". See you again soon... You need to stay with us to get the full experience!

Best,
Streamwood, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I really wanted to like this place after booking it through a travel agency, but I had a bad experience. Therefore, I wanted to rate this as "terrible;" however, I have to give credit to the management for how the situation was handled.

Our situation: We planned on staying one night before we left for a cruise. We booked everything rather last minute due to personal circumstances and unknowingly were coming down during the San Sebastian festival. That being said, I realize it's a crazy time to go to San Juan and that I was lucky to get any hotel room at all. However, a friend tipped me off to a travel agency who still had one room left blocked at this hotel. I was excited that I found a beach side hotel under $300...I was thrilled.

However, upon checking into the hotel, we first noted that the elevator was not working. Fortunately, our room was on the second floor so it wasn't a big deal to schelp our luggage up one flight, but that's where our good fortune ended. Our room was located around the corned from a banquet room which really isn't a well contained room. The bar to the room sits in the atrium which is basically the hallway infront of our room. Approximately 5 minutes after we checked in, it became obvious there was a party being set up in the room and hallway. As the DJ began equipment check, it was obvious that it was going to be unacceptably loud in our room. Being unable to even have a conversation with my husband in the same room, I promptly went to the desk to request to be moved. However, due to the situation described earlier, there was no place to move us. I was told that the party was to go until 10 or 12 am...I could live with that. Wanting to get up an actually enjoy the beach the next morning, we retired around 10, but it became obvious that the party was only just getting started. I gave it until midnight before calling the desk. It was at this time, I was told that the party was booked until 2am. All I could think about was how ridiculous it was to put someone in that room right next to the party (or the other two rooms on the same floor). To make a long story short, the party went until about 2:30, it took them until 3 to get out of there...clean up was going on until 4 am. At 2 am I pulled out a decibel meter on my phone and recorded sustained readings over 75 dB which approaches the equivalent to someone running a lawnmower in the room. Furthermore, the party moved to the nightclub on the roof (which I think they opened to accommodate the guests of the party). So, even though it was much quieter, the party was still quite noticeable until nearly 5am.

The overnight desk agent assured me he would bring this up to management in the morning and offered us a comped continental breakfast. It was a start, but some cereal and toast really didn't make up for a really crappy night. By 10 am, I checked in with the manager, Juan Castro. I was prepared to make an arguement as to how I really didn't get my money's worth, that the hotel was anything but peaceful, that the noise level approached dangerous, that it's ludicrous that they even HAVE a banquet room (they really aren't designed for it). I was even prepared to play him the audio recordings from my room. However, I didn't have to do any of that. Mr. Castro was very sympathetic to our situation. Without explaining myself at all, he did the honorable thing and offered us a full refund. At best, I was expecting a partial refund, but I didn't even have to ask. Mr. Castro not only made the situation right, but offered to give us a choice for a certificate for 2 free nights in the future or a full refund. I wish I could have taken him up on the 2 night stay in the future because I'm sure he'd make it right...but with a baby on the way, this is probably our last chance to travel before we have to refrain from traveling.

So overall, this was probably the worst hotel stay I've ever had...I was so angry I wanted to give the hotel a terrible rating...however, I can't argue with the fact that the situation was mediated appropriately. I still can't give it a great rating because of what happened, so I'm settling on an "average" rating.

Now, for the good: Besides Mr. Castro making this situation right, I have to say that the hotel is located on a great stretch of beach, and it's decor is rather trendy. The fixtures and amenities in the bathroom are pretty high end (even though we had one of the "lower rate" rooms). Would I stay here again? Maybe, with the guidance of Mr. Castro...but I would insist on never staying on the second floor...and I'd probably avoid the top floor as well. Heck...I'd really just make sure that there wasn't an event planned there at all (they really aren't set up for it). To their credit however, their normal policy is to NOT rent those rooms when there is a party except to the guest who are actually at the party...we just happened to slip through the cracks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
mianicole, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we respect all feedback and find it helpful for the hotel to learn and grow in all aspects. That is what this forum is for, to hear about the good points of your stay and the areas where we can refocus on our guest’s experience. We sincerely apologize for the isolated incident caused during your stay. However, we are thrilled to hear that Juan Castro turned around your experience and at the end you were able to appreciate our service recovery. We hope you have a chance to come back and see us again; thank you again for the rating; we truly appreciate it.
Warmly,
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A short ride from the airport this hotel is clean, comfortable and across the street from the beach with chairs and umbrellas provided.
Staff was friendly and helpful. The rooftop pool area while small is lovely.

Room Tip: Request an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed our great service, rooftop Mist and fabulous beach. Please let me know when you are returning so we can make sure you receive the VIP welcome back!
Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a nice stay at the Water & Beach Club. Though it took a few moments to get used to all of the blue lights everywhere, we ended up enjoying it. The elevators with flowing water were a nice departure from the usual silence of elevators.

The beach was beautiful and the attendants were friendly. Be sure to get to the beach early so that you get a good spot and are guaranteed chairs and an umbrella.

The bar and restaurant in the hotel were nice, but overpriced. We found that we could get the same quality food by just walking down to the Burger King on Rt. 37. Now, we hate to go to fast food places when we travel and usually avoid them, but it just wasn't worth it to eat breakfast in the hotel. For lunch, or for a snack, there is a small restaurant down a little way on Tartak where you can get empanadillas and other typical fried Puerto Rican food.

Transportation can be expensive. It costs $20 each way for a taxi to or from Viejo San Juan. One of the benefits of this hotel, however, is that if you want to rent a car, Charlie's is directly across the street. We rented a Kia forte for two days and drove to Ponce (60-90 minutes away) for the last night of Carnaval 2012 and then next day we drove to El Yunque, Playa Luquillo, and Fajardo. The highway system is easy to maneuver. If you have a US GPS, you likely have the maps for PR, so bring yours along.

We would go to PR again, but might stay closer to Viejo San Juan, as there is more to do there. We would also like to explore more of the western part of the island.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is a few floors below the top floor if you would like a quieter night.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback! We are very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you back, hopefully next time you can truly experience how much the WBC and Puerto Rico Beaches have to offer!

All The Best,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed and the Water and Beach Club Hotel last June and loved everything about it. The staff was excellent (especially the bar staff!), the hotel was beautiful and best yet, it was very couple-oriented/child unfriendly, which made it nice and romantic for the two of us.

The rooftop bar was our favorite spot for a cocktail (plus they offer a great Happy Hour Special) and their calamari was to die for!

The only critique that I have is that the guest room could have been a tiny bit cleanier, but it was not grossly unclean.

I highly recommend this hotel to young couples looking for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure to have you here and I hope you can make it back to the WBC very soon for another stay. I love it that you enjoyed our property, friendly staff and service.
Virna

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!