“Best Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in October and weren't expecting much. We were pleasantly surprised by how helpful the staff was. We are both seasoned travelers and have never met a staff more accommodating and friendly. They helped us plan everything from renting a car, to mapping a drive across the island, to getting picked up for zip lining. The free happy hour was a nice plus as it was an easy way to get an island drink and meet some other vacationers. Location is perfect on one of the most beautiful beaches in San Juan. Safe restaurants, clubs and casinos just near by. Old San Juan and the castles are a short 15 minute cab ride away, although public trans is an option. I can't imagine how much cooler it would have been if the rooftop pool was open.

Room Tip: See if you can face the water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
virna c, Guest Services Manager at San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
I'm very happy to hear that our friendly staff had a great impression on you. I will certainly pass along your kind words. I will be happy to extend you that same WBC experience again and again!! Hope to see you back real soon.

My best,
Virna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We liked the location of the SJWBC because you could walk to local restaurants and cafes, as well as a Walgreens. It was also a short drive or cab ride to Old San Juan, Condado, and Santurce. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The beach was really nice and the service on the beach was attentive. You can rent jet skis a little ways down in front of another hotel.

The pool sucked - it was basically the size of a king size bed. We took one look and went back to the beach. SJWBC is VERY oddly decorated - the hallways and elevators are lit only by black light. There was also a black light in our room - how many vacationing ravers do they actually get?

One last thing - I was traveling with my partner and we are visibly a queer couple. Not one person at the hotel batted an eyelash. I felt safe and welcome here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Penfield, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed for a getaway in September. We won't be able to say enough about how much we enjoyed our visit. We have to say, hands down, the entire staff was beyond compare ... from Danny and Valarie at the front desk, to Jose the General Manager, the chef Raul, Danito the bartender, Xavier the door man... just to name a few. Every staff member we met treated us as royalty. The hotel was clean, the room had all that you would need. The rooftop bar area is beyond words - great place to have a cocktail. Would absolutely recommend (we have) and look forward to an opportunity to visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much. We appreciate all feedback but of course an "AWESOME" review as yours is a real pleasure to see on Trip Advisor. Thank you for mentioning so many great points on our hotel starting with the staff, location and the great service you experienced. Please know that the SJWB Club Hotel is here and waiting for you return.
My best,
Huntington Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Just an FYI, we didn't stay here, our place was a resort down the street. That being said, I think our next vac to Puerto Rico will be here. Very cool atmosphere, excellent staff. We had drinks on the rooftop, and it was amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this review. We are so happy to hear that you were able to experience us by coincident and that our staff exceeded your expectations in the great service you encountered at our phenomenal rooftop MIST. Please come back again so that you can enjoy the full experience.
Warmest regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am disappointed to give this hotel a terrible rating however my passpot was stolen from the safe! I stayed there with my boyfriend for 3 nights over Christmas and had a lovely time. We checked out & in the taxi I remembered I forgot my passport in the safe & called immediately. I was told that housekeeping would check the safe & get back to me. No one called back, so I called again, they said there was nothing in the safe, which was IMPOSSIBLE!! I tried again the next day thinking someone else might have a different answer, no call back, then left a message for the general manager with no response as well. Very disappointing... Kind of a big deal! Apparently not to the staff / management, too bad...

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. Clearly our reputation is based upon our great service and it is evident with many of our positive reviews. Our guests are always a priority to us and we take great pride in making their stay a memorable one. I would like to take this opportunity to address that our safes are strictly coded by the guests. A formal report was completed several days after your check out by your room companion with the proper authorities. This isolated incident was handled in a very professional matter and we did all within our reach to resolve it amicably. Should you need further assistance our doors are always opened and we are more than willing to help you. We remain at your service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at here for New Years. We did not know what to expect and were very pleasantly surprised! We arrived earlier then the check in time and they gave us an upgrade in order to be able to accommodate us at that time. Juan the manager was excellent, I've been in the hotel industry for a while and he knows how to do his job very well. We attended their New Years festivities at the rooftop and loved the atmosphere, the DJ, the crowd and the asopao they served after the party was amazing. We loved it so much we decided to stay another night! That second evening we had dinner at Zest in the lobby and were delighted with the food and the service!

I recommend this place for people traveling on their own, couples and families alike. There is so much to do for all tastes in Isla Verde and this place has a prime location. The beach in front of the place is amazing and they have complimentary chairs and umbrellas (Just remember to tip those boys, they are doing manual labor at its roughest!!!). Waitresses come out and take drink and food orders as well.

Room Tip: They have rooms with living rooms if you're into that. Choose an ocean view if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during xmas week, myself and my 12 year old son. It is really not for kids, and I had that feeling go in and that is the only reason we moved. The hotel is small and hip, with a "blue" vibe; sort of a Delano wanna be but not as luxurious. It is located literally 4 steps from the beach; you can go barefoot from the beach to the hotel. The beach is beautiful, plenty of nice chairs, lots of umbrellas and big fluffy towels. Also, staff on beach to get drinks, food, etc. Beach and water is beautiful here.

There is a very small pool on the roof but a great roof deck lounge/bar area. I would go up there for a sunset drink to hang and relax on the couches and watch the sunset.

Room service food was quick and good.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant which got rave reviews. I found it only okay. The casaer salad had a cute idea with a creme brulee like dressing on the bottom but when i mixed it all in the salad was too heavily dressed for me. I also did not love my main course pasta. The dessert we got, however, was awesome - molten chocolate cake and they gave us another dessert on the house. Everyone was so nice, including the chef, I couldn't complain.

I have to say hands down - and I have traveled a lot here in the US, Carribbean and Europe, that the staff at the SJWBC is awesome.....probably one of best, rivaling a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. While the hotel was crowded due to the holidays, i never felt i had to wait. Coming and going from the hotel, I also got a welcome back janet or have a good day janet - the staff seemed to know everyone. The GM was out on the beach both days walking amongst the guests, chatting and asking if everything was good. The front desk team was also awesome as was the Conceirge. Hands off to this staff; they are amazing.

I will also add that we moved to a much larger resort hotel in the Condada area, that has great reviews and the staff there could not hold a candle to SJWBC.....in fact, the service there was horrible.

This is a great hotel for a romantic long weekend for couples or for adult friends to visit.

My only slight negative is that the hotel could be upgraded slightly in terms of luxury; it has a great hip vibe, but is done somewhat on the cheap - no rugs in the romm so you are walking around on a floor all the time that gets dirtly no matter what, bathrooms are plain an adequate but nothing fancy.

Would absolutley come back here.

Room Tip: No spa or kids activities; rooms in middle of floor are quiet, no elevator noise or nightclub noise...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#3 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 1,177 reviews

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!