We really enjoyed our stay here. The location was good for us -- close to the airport, in a good way (less travel time in the taxi, and no airplane noise or anything like that), and right on Isla Verde beach, with very friendly attendants who set up chairs and umbrellas for us near the water. We were here in late September, which is a slower time in terms of tourist volume, so it's likely we received a lot more attention with the smaller crowds. Still, we were always greeted warmly coming and going from the hotel, and staff was always attentive and helpful and just willing to chat with you.
Our room had a great view of the ocean and was about the right size -- not too much clutter inside, with the bed as the centerpiece. There is a whole "blue" theme to the hotel, and so, for instance, you can turn on a switch to bathe your room in a neon blue light (fortunately there is normal lighting as well). The elevators are also dark and tinted blue. But if you aren't bothered by that you'll really enjoy your time here. We weren't and we did.
There is a modest fitness room in the basement, with a stationary bike, elliptical and two treadmills, plus some dumbbells/hand weights. And there is a really nice rooftop bar and lounge with swimming pool. It's a great spot for late nights to relax and have a drink, and about what you would pay in Old San Juan, probably a little less. Again, we were there when tourist traffic was light, so we had no problem getting served, and we didn't have a sense of how packed the place gets during peak travel times.
We have to give a shout-out to Mi Casita, a family restaurant in the strip mall across the main drag from the hotel. Prices are reasonable, and the mofongo was a very tasty introduction to the island's very tasty food. We ate there twice and, as part of one meal, had a mixed seafood mofongo (shrimp, snapper, lobster and conch meat, in a garlic-butter sauce) that was our favorite meal during our trip. It compares really favorably with Raices restaurant in Old San Juan, which will cost you more and is a more heavy tourist destination.
Overall, we had a great time here and would recommend San Juan Water and Beach Club to other young traveling couples. If you are patient and can deal with the complete uncertainty of the San Juan bus system, it's also pretty painless to get to Old San Juan on the cheap by bus -- 75 cents, and two routes, the 53 and the T5, take you directly into OSJ. Be warned though that you could sit waiting for up to an hour. There's a reason the cabbies charge so much.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Water And Beach Club Hotel
- San Juan Water Beach Hotel
- San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel Puerto Rico/Isla Verde
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the exclusive corner of famous Isla Verde beach, The San Juan Water and Beach Club Hotel is the ultimate playground for grownups and the local Mecca of hip, with music designed by international DJs, lively parties and celebrity stopovers. The perfect combination of comfort and luxury, 80 guest rooms including stunning suites feature ocean front views, partial ocean views, and city views. Renowned as the hot spot for local residents and tourists, Mist offers comfortable seating areas for rooftop relaxation, swimming pool, signature cocktails and a decadent Island-Italian-Spanish-fusion menu featuring Socializers—small plates you can share—prepared with fresh, locally grown ingredients. The new restaurant Zest on the ground floor welcomes guests with a unique subaquatic atmosphere and a modern experiential cuisine menu featuring sustainability-sourced ingredients, each dish infused with a unique scent meant to stimulate every sense. Also known as the Water Club, The San Juan Water and Beach Club Hotel is located in the city’s stylish Isla Verde, five minutes from Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport, and just 15 minutes away from the cruise docks, business district and the famous Old San Juan. For business travelers and small groups they offer an intimate venue for up to 120 guests reception style, an elegant boardroom, an ocean front business center, and a 24-hour front desk service. In addition, the San Juan Water and Beach Club Hotel boasts some of San Juan’s most beautiful beachfront and newest dining options. The Water Club was recently voted #4 on TripAdvisor’s Top 25 Trendiest Hotels in the Caribbean. It was also the recipient of the prestigious 2012 Certificate of Excellence award. The hotel is the latest addition to Dallas-based Aimbridge Hospitality’s growing resort division. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Amex, Splendia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.