I rented a unit (one bedroom #4) at ESJ from Chana Cohen for 11/23 - 11/30. The unit had a very comfortable king-size bed in the bedroom, and flat-screen tvs in the livingroom and bedroom. The unit was carpeted throughtout with what looked like old motel carpet. The view from the balcony was of a parking lot (I knew it wasn't ocean view, but didn't know about the parking lot).
The unit had certain problems that were not addressed:
#1) The sofabed was unusable. The mattress was about 3 inches high, and when my adult son slept on it, it was like laying directly on the coils. When I mentioned this problem to Chana, she said we should take the mattress off and put it on the floor ("that's what people do"). Since we weren't confident about the cleanliness of the carpet, my son decided to sleep on the sofa unopened, and then when I left for breakfast in the morning he moved to my bed for a few more hours' sleep. We definitely didn't expect this situation. My advice is that when you are planning accommodations, you should not consider a sofabed as adequate sleeping arrangements for any adult.
#2) on our third day there, while I was cooking breakfast, water started pouring down onto the stove from a vent above, and then started pouring down outside the bathroom (through a light fixture), along another wall, and in the bedroom closet. When I called Chana I got her husband, who said he would get back to me. He later told me that management was aware of the flood because it was going down to the lobby, and told me where to find a mop!! Not my idea of vacation fun!! After mopping up the water in the kitchen, I found towels in the unit to put down on the carpet to soak up water. It took about a day and a half to dry. Not once did Chana come to the unit to see what was going on or to offer assistance.
#3) On the fourth night, as I was sitting on the balcony, water started dripping down on me from above and the balcony ceiling was peeling. I called Chana, got her husband, and he said he would get back to me. A worker came to look at it and said that after the flood they had put the soaked carpet from the unit above on the balcony--that was the water now coming down on me. Neither Chana or her husband got back to me about this.
My sister, who rented a different unit, had ants in her unit. When I mentioned this to Chna she said that, "this is the caribbean". So my sister purchased some ant baits, and problem solved! I would have expected this to be handled by the person we rented from. My sister discussed some problems with Chana and Chana said that she was not the owner, just the owner's representative--as though the owner's rep had no responsibilities other than to collect the money. I expect better customer service when I rent, whether from the owner or a representative.
Bottom line--My advice is that if you choose to rent this way, you should be prepared to handle any problems/emergencies in the unit yourself.
ESJ Towers itself was perfectly acceptable. The location is ideal--within walking distance of the restaurants; chains like Wendy's Chili's, etc. are close by if that's what you want, as well as places to get great puerto rican dishes. You can also walk to the supermarket, Walgreen's and the casino (next door). The staff is extremely nice. Picking up towels at the garage is NOT a big deal at all. You can also rent beach lounge chairs from ESJ for $2/day or sturdier lounges on the beach for $4/day. We never needed umbrellas; just put our chairs under trees and had plenty of shade. The beach in front of the El San Juan next door was very crowded, but the beach in front of ESJ was not crowded at all (maybe this is seasonal). There is no charge for chairs at the pool, but not many shady areas there. Had no trouble using the computers at the business center to check e-mails.
- Also Known As:
- Esj Towers Hotel Isla Verde
- Esj Towers Hotel
- Esj Hotel Carolina
- Esj Tower San Juan
- El San Juan Towers
- Esj Towers San Juan
- San Juan Towers Hotel
- San Juan Hotel Esj Towers
- ESJ Towers Puerto Rico/Isla Verde
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ESJ Towers beachfront resort is located on the beautiful Isla Verde Beach just five minutes from the San Juan Luis Munoz Marin International Airport and 15 minutes to Old San Juan where shopping, dining, casinos and must-see attractions are just minutes away. Enjoy access to our fitness center, hot tub and swimming pool, business center, game room and laundry facilities. Guests will love family activities like bingo, billiards and water aerobics as well as a video game room and ping pong room. The ESJ Towers provides a variety of food and beverage options. Casual dining is found at our colorfully whimsical Happy Apple Restaurant. For snacks and refreshing beverages, try our poolside kiosk and snack bar. Guests seeking late-night entertainment should head to Mano a Mano for exotic cocktails and great conversation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Amex, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your ESJ Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.