“Roaches!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of ESJ Towers

You added ESJ Towers to your Saves list
ESJ Towers
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6165 Isla Verde Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Announcement
Apartment Accommodations
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
NewYork
“Roaches!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I went with my family to ESJ towers for my husband's birthday July 5, 2014. The first night we arrived we found three roaches, not ants, roaches. I called front desk and they could not change my room, that this is a tropical island and you get many creatures, I go to Puerto Rico three times a year and have stayed in motels in Isla Verde and have not seen an ant. I was told to wait till the next day. The next day late at night I notified about my room change and the front desk did not know anything about my request. I was so livid, I spent most of my days outside and only went to sleep in the room. I do not plan to return. I do not spend money to get roaches. You have to go thru a garage to get exchanging towels and one toliet paper per day. Not safe!! I had to pay for WIFI service.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get a room with roaches.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ESJTowersMaria, Director of Sales at ESJ Towers, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
On behalf of ESJ Towers Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you had while staying with us. We should had promptly assist you with the situation, and we failed to do so.

I already forward your review to our Resort Manager for his knowledge and immediate action.

I wish you the best in all your personal and business endeavors.

Maria del Mar Torres

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Plantsville, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The facility was clean. Rooms and lobby are dated. Need to go through the garage to get to the beach. Can't go directly from the beach to the pool. This is an old apartment buidling. Staff is extemely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
On behalf of ESJ Towers Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for your feedback and your kind comments about our staff.

We look forward to your return and the opportunity to thank you in person.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel has a terrific location with a FREE parking included (almost the only one in the area that includes the parking) and free internet.They have access to the swimming pool or to the beach.They always give you 2 complimentary drinks.They have a bar next to the swimming pool and they play bingo and do many other activities great for family and children. They have a game room and they have pool tables in the lobby area.They have a mini market. The good thing that I love about this hotel is that the rooms have a full kitchen and a beautiful view to the beach.Easy access to go Old San Juan or any other part of the Island. They have concierge service if you want to ask for tours or water activities.The only con is that they need to paint and do some maintenance to the floor. Staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: Higher floors excellent view to the beach
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at ESJ Towers. We are happy all services and facilities were to your liking, we look forward to your return.

We wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Sales Manager
Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed here with family a month ago. We have owned a time share in this building for about 10 years. Although this is the first time we have stayed here in a few years, we pretty much knew what to expect and had a decent time having this knowledge.

First the good, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. This condominium style hotel is in a great area of Isla Verde Beach with great ocean views if you are in a high enough floor (preferably on the 4th floor or above). Our unit is on the 5th floor. The parking is included with the unit with no extra fees/charge. This is a great thing in San Juan. You would pay up $25 or more per day at other hotels in this area. The airport is very close by but not so close to be disturbed by any noise. Also, you are walking distance to very good restaurants, stores, markets, & even fast food restaurants. This building is right next door to the El San Juan Hotel and Casino. You can easily walk over to hotel using a private pathway from the ESJ Towers. The El San Juan Hotel next door has a lively lobby with casino, dance club, restaurants, etc. You feel very safe by the security in and around the building. Also, I noticed a great improvement in the restaurant in the lobby. Our room came with a free breakfast which we used most days. The quality of the food and service has improved a lot but don’t expect a large buffet style set up. It’s not made to serve but it’s small and adequate. If you are looking for a large breakfast made to serve, I recommend going to one of the restaurants outside this building, especially the Denny’s about two blocks up the street. The pool area is nice and this place is located on the best beach in San Juan. In general this is a decent clean place to stay if you are on a budget and want to be in a great area. This is not luxurious or modern in any way.

Now the bad, this condominium style hotel looks like it has not been remodeled since it was built in the 70’s. They maintain the building by painting it but the basic look , furnishings, and décor are way outdated. Also, getting to the pool and beach through the garage could be confusing. Even though I have been there many times over the years, it’s still confusing.

I will definitely go to the ESJ Towers since I own a time share there however, it’s probably the main reason why I would return.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor with ocean view. Ask about free breakfast included with your room/unit.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at ESJ Towers, and your kind comments. I will forward them to our management team for their knowledge.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Just came back from Puerto Rico and a nine day stay at ESJ Towers with three friends. I stayed at ESJ because it was a freebie from one of the friends whose family have had a timeshare there for many years. Fortunately/unfortunately, they haven't used it for many years either. I've read many of the reviews on Trip Advisor from excellent to terrible, and obviously, there are a wide range of experiences. Based on my experience, I would not return unless I was getting a remarkable deal, and didn't mind an outdated hotel experience and doing a little cleaning. Renovated in 2005? Not our room.

To start, our experiences with the staff were not that bad. In most cases they were helpful and friendly, and occasionally went out of the way to solve our problems. I would actually rate the staff a three and a half (good). Staff attitude was really not the problem.

My friend was able to get a 3 bedroom 2 bath timeshare. It sounded good until we got there and realized it was what they called the first floor and just below the pool. Our view was a wall with a gate to the walkway that went to the pool. You could get out the gate, but couldn't get back in through it because it would lock behind you. Not a problem if you have a key. They did not have a key for the gate so you would have to leave the patio gate open if you wanted to get back in (not very secure) or have to go all the way around to another building entrance and use your keycard to get in that way, and then again to get in through your door. By the way, the pool is definitely not Olympic sized, and was not very clear. I lap swim in pools a lot, and I know Olympic and clear when I see it. It was also only open form 9 am to 7pm. It should be open by 8 am and stay open until 10 pm.

The timeshare room itself was nothing special, but not horrible. Definitely dated, but livable. Unfortunately, it was not cleaned well, and we found long black hairs in the bathroom and kitchen. Made us wonder about the rest of the timeshare. The bathroom's exhaust fans did not work. The kitchen was sparcely furnished with utensils. There was no daily cleaning (I didn't expect it), and if you wanted your timeshare cleaned it was $75.

We were surprised to find out that ESJ Towers was the only hotel on the beach (including very the expensive ones) that had a gate to the beach that required a key card to get in and out. Not a bad security concept initially until you see people following key card holders in and out all day long. The gate gets "padlocked" at 7 pm at night so you can't get to the beach after hours unless you walk out to Isla Verde Ave, and walk to a public beach access path. What?! NO other hotel that we saw did this. Oh yeah, to get to the beach you had to go down into the parking garage, walk a circuitous route to a beach access door where you had to use a key card to get out.

That brings up parking. We were given a parking pass for "orange" guest parking spots. Unfortunately, there were very few of these, and we only found and open spot once. We wound up having to go to the desk to get help, and they told us it was okay to park in green guest parking spots as well. They quickly filled up, and they wound up directing us to several reserved spots that were empty. Parking was always a problem, and we finally just kept parking in the "reserve" spots they had directed us to.

Several times we tried to play ping pong and billiards. The billiard tables were never free, and the table tennis tables were difficult to get as well. For several days they only had two viable paddles and one ping pong ball available.That ball got broke, and that was it. After complaining about not having enough paddles and balls to support games of doubles on two tables, they broke down and purchased new ones. My question is how does it get to that point unless you just don't care?! I would also suggest that they set up a one hour reservation period for both games to create more of an opportunity for guests to access both activities.

I guess the bottom line is that for me enough was wrong with the place that even the little things became annoying. You can look past a few small problems if the overall experience is a positive one, but not if it's negative. Maybe if I had a room with a balcony overlooking the beach with a sunset view, a lot could have been overlooked. I didn't and I couldn't.

s

Room Tip: Get a room high up with a Balcony and a view of the beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
On behalf of ESJ Towers Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for your feedback and comments about your stay.

ESJ Towers is a timeshare/condo/hotel located in the Isla Verde beach and five minutes away for the airport.

The 3BRM unit you stayed it is completely remodeled (bathrooms/kitchen). It has 2 full bathrooms, completely equipped kitchen (stainless steel appliances, dishwasher), washer and dryer and all cooking utensils. Unfortunately that 3BRM apartment has no ocean view, but it does have a large patio with access to the pool which is on the same level. I need to apologize if the patio door was not working properly, and I will have our maintenance staff check on it. You are right, you should had been able to easily go in and out of the pool without going through the front entrance. Time share vacation owners do not get daily maid service, unless requested and yes there is a charge for it. Our fitness center is open for the exchange of towels and linen to time share guests.

Our facilities include:
Outdoor pool: opens from 9am -7pm. During the morning we take out the buoys so our guest do their laps and after 10am we offer water aerobics.

Private beach access (this ensures that our facilities will be enjoyed only by our hotel guests, vacation club members and full owners). Since it is a public beach our entrance closes at 7:00pm. The walk to our beach gate is located on level B1, you need to do a small walk to the entrance where you insert your room key.

Parking for our guests, time share and full owners is free of charge. June and July are months that our parking fills out very fast. I apologize that you had a hard time finding a space, but also happy that we were able to assist you in this matter.

I have already forward your comments to our management team and noted your suggestions about operation hours for pool and beach access; billiard and ping pong schedules.

I thank you again for your feedback, and wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Hotel Sales Manager
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is my second time staying at ESJ Towers. As other reviewers have mentioned the hotel/condos are a little outdated but the location is perfect. The beach area is great. There are plenty of great restaurants nearby as well as a supermarket and pharmacy.

I rented from one of the owners. He was really nice and went out of his way to accomodate us. Another plus of this place is that the parking is free. Many hotels in this area charge for parking.

If you are in San Juan for vacation, give ESJ a try. It beats paying $250+ at other hotels nearby.

Room Tip: It is best to rent from an owner. Rooms are much nicer.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I have a timeshare at ESJ and go there once a year. It's not a bad place, but it was built in the late 1970's and looks it. The staff is generally helpful though I often find that I know more about what's going on and where things are than the concierge does. We have a studio unit that is supposed to sleep 4 people. It has 1 king size bed and roll away beds are supposed to be available. I am told they usually are, but since are time is during the Feast of San Juan Batista, we had to sleep three in the bed and one on the floor. Yes, the floor. The pool and beach access are close but close at 7 pm. The neighborhood is very safe with lots of shops, grocery stores, and restaurants close by. Overall, the location is very close to the airport & Old San Juan which makes it very convenient.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on the ocean side NOT the garden side. Otherwise you will have a view of the hou...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#4 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 2,308 reviews

Been to ESJ Towers? Share your experiences!