“Really?!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of ESJ Towers

You added ESJ Towers to your Saves list
ESJ Towers
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6165 Isla Verde Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Announcement
Apartment Accommodations
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Atlanta, Georgia
“Really?!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Took my family to the Island of Puerto Rico for the first time. Expected a great vacation; however, accommodations at ESJ were less than impressive.

1. Check-in is supposed to be 3-4 o'clock. They didn't have my room ready until close to 6:00pm. They kept telling us to walk around the streets and check back every hour. Really!!!

2. Room was average on cleanliness except for the chipping paint in the bathroom, and the hall leading to the room smelled stale and old. Really?!!!

3. After 2 days after NO housekeeping, they tell me that they never change out the sheets or towels. You have to do it yourself by going to the 1st basement parking deck level and exchanging everything. A hotel that has housekeeping that doesn't provide housekeeping? Really!!!

4. EVERYTHING in the convenience store was overpriced and pool/beach towels smelled sour. Really!!!

5. They tell you that the pool and access to the beach closes at 7:00pm; however, on the 2nd to last night of our stay we found out that the pool stays open until 1:00am! Really!!!

The only thing that was ok with the hotel was the proximity to the beach. Beach was beautiful with a great view. Proximity to stores and restaurants within walking distance were good too.

Never will stay there again!!!

Room Tip: There are none! Don't come here!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ESJTowersMaria, Director of Sales at ESJ Towers, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
On behalf of ESJ Towers Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for your feedback about your stay.

I also, would like to apologize for any inconveniences you had. Specially at check in time which starts at 3:000pm, and unfortunately we did not meet the standard with you.

ESJ Towers is a time share-condo-hotel. It seems that you stayed with us as an exchanged or getaway thru Interval International, which does not include daily maid service. That information is listed on the confirmation certificate sent. Should vacation club members and or exchanges/getaways need maid service we offer it at a charge.; but if such guests need clean linen our Fitness Center is available to do so. Reservations booked through our reservations office or reservations systems do have included daily maid service, plus additional amenities included on their rate.

Their is a festivity called Noche de San Juan, when people visit the beach during the night and at 12 midnight they go into the water for good luck. That is the reason why our pool and beach gates where open til 1:00am during your visit. I hope you had a chance to participate of this fun tradition. Our pool opens daily until 7:00pm

Once again, thank you for your feedback and comments. I will forward them to the managers for their knowledge and action.

I wish you the best in all your personal and business endeavors.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here through a gifted time share for our honeymoon. In light of that we were disappointed. The room is adequate with a nice balcony overlooking the pool with a view of the ocean and the next resort over. The kitchen is minimal, so be prepared for that. It did help us save a good amount of money by eating in instead of out for several meals. It was impossible to get the shower to a comfortable temperature and if by some magic you did, it wouldn't stay for long.

Not somewhere I would suggest for newlyweds. Their beach gate and pool are opened limited hours, closing down by 7 pm. The staff is not very helpful. At the pool bar, there were 2 people standing around talking to the guy behind the counter. He continued conversation with them prior to assisting me and also while preparing our drinks, the 3 of them spoke in Spanish around me. It all stuck me as poor customer service and a lack of professionalism.
I know that the hotel could not control this but there was a fire alarm around 1 am one night. Had I not been awake, it's likely I would have slept through it. However, my wife had a migraine so we were awake when I had to open the door to hear the message. As we made our way downstairs, she slipped on wet stairs receiving several bruises and spraining her ankle. The woman at reception promptly called for the "head of security" when we asked to fill an incident report. It took him several minutes to arrive but he did offer to call an ambulance which we declined. He provided one of those chemical reaction cold packs and an incident form that was geared towards stolen or damaged property. We made our report and returned to our room. As of 6 pm the next day, no one has contacted us.

In conclusion, it is an ok place to stay that needs some significant customer service improvements. Anything you could need is within walking distance as far as restaurants, grocery, and drug stores. But don't come expecting much more than a place to sleep.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ESJTowersMaria, Director of Sales at ESJ Towers, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
On behalf of ESJ Towers Management and Staff I would like to thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I would like to also apologize for any inconveniences you had while visiting our property. I already forwarded your comments to our Security and Resort Manager for their knowledge and action.

We wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Maria del Mar Torres
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

ESJ Towers is partly a privately owned residential condominium building with some rooms rented as hotel and others as time share vacations. The location is great as there is a grocery store, many restaurants, and a Walgreens within walking distance. The beach is somewhat narrow but very well kept up and clean. The beaches there are not private so on weekends be aware that it becomes VERY crowded in that beach area. There are vendors on the beach selling food they are grilling. The chicken, shrimp, pork and grouper on a skewer was fantastic! The water is beautiful and very clear. Jet skis and other water activities are available for rent right in front to the Towers on the beach. Umbrellas and lounge chairs are available to rent through a private business on the beach front. The pool area is very nice and well kept up. You do not have to rent the lounge chairs which have canopy tops and are very comfortable. The lifeguards are VERY attentive to the pool area activities to keep everyone safe. Children are not allowed in the adult hot tub. The pool is on level 1 and requires going up about 12 steps. I did see a ramp behind the lifeguard hut for those with mobility issues. the pool area is closed at 7:00. I guess because there are so many residential units here they want to keep noise level down early. The beach access is through the parking garage so you cannot walk from the pool to the beach without using an elevator. There is a small playground for young children on the way to the beach. The property has a lot of security and requires the use of the room key to get to the pool, to the beach access area and then to the gate to the beach. On weekends there is a security guard who gives wristbands to residents going to the beach as they go through the gate to ensure only guests are the ones who come back through the gate. We had a one bedroom apartment on the 8th floor with an amazing view of the beach. the gates to the beach are locked at 7:00. The building is next to the el San Juan Hotel and Casino which is beautiful! However, on Saturday nights they play very loud music until midnight. The room has a nice size bedroom and living room, a small but fully equipped kitchen. The bathroom is quite small. We had a very large walk-in closet, big enough for a playpen or rollaway bed! The kingsize bed was very hard and uncomfortable. Housekeeping brought up a 2" foam cushion which helped a great deal but it was full size, not king size so we pulled it to one side and only one of us could use it. The pullout sofa was very old and uncomfortable for our granddaughters to sleep on. They both rolled to the middle. The room had a balcony but the air conditioner unit was there and when running it was loud and hot. The lobby and hallways were not air conditioned and could be uncomfortable with the humidity. They had a restaurant open for breakfast and lunch only which we did use. There is also a mini market that has many items to chose from including sandwiches to go. The staff, without exception, were wonderful, friendly, attentive and accommodating. There is no maid service provided (unless you wanted to pay a fee) so we had to exchange our towels downstairs several times. The parking garage was unusual and a little scary at first. Most spaces are marked reserved for the condominium owners. You will have to drive down several levels to park and it was not too easy to do the first time. Ceilings are low, the antenna on our van was hitting the fire extinguisher piping. Trucks had to park outside the garage. the fitness room space is small and felt confining. However there are showers and changing area for convenience. We have stayed in many time share resorts and this one is in the average range in terms of needing updating. We pretty much expect that and when we stay at a luxury resort we are totally thrilled! Just a note.... Be aware that driving in San Juan metro area is scary!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

ESJ Towers is part-timeshare, part-hotel. During the trip you will get a call asking if you are interested in the timeshare presentation but we politely declined and were not asked again.
I requested a room on 8th floor or higher over the phone and we got floor 16, oceanview-an absolutely spectacular view! I wasn't expecting to have a full-size fridge in the room and was stunned to see there was also a stove, dishes, glasses and cutlery!
You get 1 free drink per person per day and our booking included free continental breakfast. The wait staff were all super kind.
They have daily bingo poolside for literally $0.50 per board with prizes including free bar tabs and cash.
The guests are a good mix of young & old but the older folks have interesting stories to tell. We met several snowbirds who come for 8-10 weeks during the winter and were preparing to head back home end of March.
ESJ Towers was spacious, clean, friendly and exceeded my expectations!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and great comments about our staff, facilities and activities. We look forward to your next visit and a chance to thank you in person.

All the best!!!

Maria del Mar Torres
Tampa ,Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Old,dingy,No AC & dark lobby,Dirty carpets, dirty dishes and not enough dishes.cheap motel like.So many things were wrong that I'm at a loss for words !!!There is NOTHING RESORT LIKE. No free breakfast, all though the web site says American style breakfast, you have to buy it, The pool closes at 7pm , so does the beach access. You have to go to the Fitness room to get clean towels.and toiletries. 1 roll per day ! REALLY ! If it wasn't because we only went to the room to sleep I would have left and stayed with family !!! I will say that 2 staff members made our days bearable. A big shout out to Puppy in the fitness room, What an awesome person !!! & the young lifeguard Jamel ( sorry if I messed up his name). To sum it it " never again ! "

Room Tip: You wont get any sleep if you stay on the side where the loading dock for the restaurant Coco is on.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I was very skeptical about staying here after reading the previous reviews. But I got such a great deal on a time share that I figured, what the heck... I'm probably not going to be in the room much anyway. When I first arrived, the staff did not acknowledge me. They went on doing whatever they were doing and when they were done (about 3 or 4 minutes later) they just looked up at me and asked what I needed. As I took the elevator to my room, I noticed it was dated, but at least it worked! The surprise was when I got to my floor! The carpets were filthy! They look like they've been there since the hotel was built in 1975! The walls were dingy. I have seen cleaner housing projects in the slums of NYC! When I opened the door to my room, another disappointment! The room was just as dirty, with old appliances that were noisy and dirty (of course). The plumbing was another problem... You could never get the water to the right temperature. One second it's too cold, the next, you're getting burned! The light switch in the bathroom was broken, so you couldn't turn the light off, there were broken tiles and mold in the grout. I could go on and on, but to sum it up... I will NOT stay here again... EVER!!! Also, Interval International (the timeshare company) promises 5 star resorts and facilities. But this is what you get! This is the 2nd time I've used one of their properties, and it's nothing like what they show you on their tour. I am really glad I never got suckered into buying a timeshare from them!

• Stayed June 2014
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The hotel is outdated & needs a great deal of upgrades! At least give it some lighting & shampoo the musty smelling, dirty rugs, both in rooms & hallways. And who wants to vacation in a place where you need to go to the Fitness Room to get clean towels & toilet paper?!?!?! Ridiculous!

• Stayed May 2014
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#4 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 2,311 reviews

Been to ESJ Towers? Share your experiences!