“Great Location in Isla Verde” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ESJ Towers

You added ESJ Towers to your Saves list
ESJ Towers
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6165 Isla Verde Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Announcement
Apartment Accommodations
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Glenham, New York, United States
“Great Location in Isla Verde”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I stayed here in February 2014. It is a good value.....is right on the beach and within walking distance to many restaurants, drug store, etc. The room was a good size with a wonderful view from the balcony. We were on the 17th Floor. Breakfast was included as well as two free drinks per day. The El San Juan is right next store for gamblers! It could use some updating but definitely is worth the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I recently took a trip out to Puerto Rico and the challenges I faced in finding a suitable place to stay for a group of six was needless to say cumbersome. I searched almost daily and I kept coming across ESJ Towers which offered various floor plans and having the accommodations I needed. I read a lot of the reviews and inquired from a lot of my friends from Puerto Rico whom had knowledge of the hotel.
Let me begin by saying that I rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bath through Chana Cohen and what a wonderful experience I had. Chana is very friendly, informative and worked with me on an early check in and late check out. The description of apartment and location is spot on, it was very convenient to be right on the beach and walking distance to any restaurant, casino, and store.
Some things to be aware of is that ESJ Towers is one of San Juan's older hotel/Timeshare/condo facilities which makes it unique. Although the hotel was built in 1975 and renovated in 2005, it possesses the quaint old charm of San Juan. The ability to rent directly from the owner was nice and personable. Our stay was very nice from the first day we arrived, the staff at the hotel is very friendly and informative, the apartment we stayed in has all the amenities of home, full kitchen, washer and dryer in the apartment, dishes, towels etc.
Being on the 17th floor gave us the experience of watching the sun rise and observe some spectacular views of the beaches and mountains from our balcony. Definitely would stay here again and recommend my friends to Chana Cohen.

Room Tip: If you are planning a trip with a large group, renting directly through an owner may work well for y...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Brunswick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed in March of 2014. We along with others were assigned this hotel due to air flight issues. It was a one night stay. Not impressed. The lobby is not great nor was the restaurant onsite....It is all average at best. The room had kitchenette as an entrance into the room then the bedroom area with balcony. Bathroom vanity room off that which had another door that you could shut for the actual toilet/bath area. The toilet had a lever like a public toilet not a regular handle which was different, for us. The shower in our room didn't work so already being in the shower, had no choice but to take a bath.The bed was not lumpy ...we slept fine....but it was like a low budget hotel experience. Table in our room was wobbly and needed to be replaced.
When you walk these hallways you will notice that some of the doors have wrought iron gates on them. We could only assume that these were some of the timeshare properties...where the owner wanted added protection of their unit. Very gloomy hallways with slight musty smell. Our door keys did not work and had to be changed twice. Our door did not even close properly.
The hotel is right on the beach but you must take elevator to the garage level floor first. When you get to that level you need to walk through the garage which needs more lighting. There is a room where you get your beach towels for free by signing them out. Then walk over to a door and up some stairs to the beach level. You need your room key to get through these areas. Beach lounge chair is $4.00 and we were able to get shade from a palm tree. Umbrellas are extra too. This arrangement would make it difficult for older adults or people with young children. You just don't walk out if hotel unto the beach.
The breakfast was a free buffet style. Very simple room with very simple furniture. Low budget type of set up. Food was average. Service was good.
People seemed nice at the desk and I guess for lots of people or families wanting to stay somewhere not to pricey this could be the answer. It is like a budget hotel in the U.S.A. Not dirty just older and more budget style. Just wasn't for us. We were glad it was just one night stay. Maybe if you book a room they give you a better one then what they set aside for flight delay customers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

I booked this rental in February of 2014. For the price, it's a steal and te location is great. However, it's very difficult to get a hold of Gilda Fisher when you need her. I am also still waiting for my $200 security deposit. I called to speak to Gilda Fisher about it. On April 2nd I received a text message from her claiming that the credo provider she was working with is not longer working in Puerto Rico and I needed to confirm my mailing address so that she can send me a check. It is now May 15 and I have not recieved a check or heard anything of it. This is very unprofessional and I am disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014
Staten Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

A total disaster. Only saving grace were the beach and pool. Place is in need of a makeover. Not even basics were readily available. One bar of soap, etc. Dark depressing lobby. Puerto Rico is nice. This place is terrible.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Petersburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Beautiful location, perfect Isla Verde location. Food everywhere. The decor of the hotel is stuck in the 1970s although we didn't get checked in until almost 1 1/2 hours after our room was to be ready(they finally just gave us a different room). Unfortunately, housekeeping or the housekeeping management would not respond. The front desk people were very nice and said we could leave our bags in the bag room and use some of the facilities, but they never gave us a key to go to the pool or get out to the beach. I asked for one and they said that they couldn't give us a key until we get checked in. Seemed very strange, if you offer the facilities for our use while you figure out our room situation, give us a key. It was very disorganized and management to not assist the guy who finally got our room together.
Ok now that rant is over, overall the staff there was nice, the room was clean. The pool area was nice, but get there early, the condo/time share blue hairs are down there scoping out the chairs and cabanas when the pool opens, place their belonging on multiple chairs and leave for breakfast and don't come back until 11am.
It's great that it is on the beach, The beach is beautiful and there are many bars and restaurants in the beach area at other resorts and a little further walk down the beach they have even more.
We are going back to the ESJ the end of May 2014 for our timeshare trade. Hopefully our check in experience will be much better.
Obviously we are going back and I would recommend ESJ to friends and family. Just don't expect 5 star.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I always look forward to my annual trip of going back "home" and I usually almost always prefer to stay in a Condo, but due to the lack of finding accommodations in time and/or being duped, and being on a very tight budget, we decided to stay at ESJ Towers. Like most, I was skeptical of the negative reviews, such as "outdated" "dirty" and "noisey", I decided to give it a shot especially since we were quickly approaching our trip and was desperate to find something affordable. The very first thing that made our day was us getting there around 11:00am (there's a 3:00pm check-in) was the fact that we were expecting to just leave our luggage in storage and toot around the beach or something until we had to actually check in. NOT THE CASE! They allowed us to check in because our "room was already available". SWEET! Checking in was easy-peasy and were happy to find out we were on the 12th floor! When we got to our room, we were more than pleased. Then we stepped out onto our terrace...OH MY GOODNESS! We had the most INCREDIBLE view of the ocean that we nearly fell over. We were there for 30 minutes and already madly in love. Once we stopped thanking the good Lord for the luck we were having, we took a little tour of the rest of the hotel. While YES, it's very retro-70's, that's what we loved about it. Being born in 1976, we found it to be quite groovy, baby! They have groovy 70's art-deco and furniture to match. The bar "Mano a Mano" was playfully renamed (by us) as the "Regal-Beagle". Unfortunately, we only had the chance to go to the bar once as my friend and I were always out and about and by the time we would get back and remember to load up on drinkie-poos, it was already too late. The free breakfast every morning was DEEE-LISH and the staff was the best! Beyond friendly and accommodating. Unfortunately, didn't get a chance to experience the pool, but it looked great and clean. Seriously, who needs a measley pool when you have the most magnificent OCEAN a few steps away? We stayed for 9 nights and 10 days, and loved every minute of our stay. I couldn't give enough praise about the staff and their "bend over backwards to help" attitude my friend and I experienced. I am happy to say that ESJ Towers will be my new home every year from now on and I'm happy to not have to worry about the stress of finding a place to stay at an incredibly affordable price whether it's high or low season. YAY!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#4 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 2,307 reviews

Been to ESJ Towers? Share your experiences!