“Excellent & Wonderful Timeshare/Condo/Hotel - Naysayers, Do Your Due Diligence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ESJ Towers

You added ESJ Towers to your Saves list
ESJ Towers
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6165 Isla Verde Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Announcement
Apartment Accommodations
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at ESJ Towers for the past 5 years for 2 weeks in August. One of the visits was our honeymoon. We use my Aunt's timeshare which she has had for many, many years.

I must begin by addressing the naysayers. It's your responsibility to do your due diligence. Since this establishment has three types of accommodations; timeshare, condo and hotel, you really need to know what you're booking and with whom you're booking. Some owners do not keep up their condos and this is no fault of ESJ. If you stay in a timeshare or individual condo you will not receive "hotel" service however, you can receive these services at an additional cost. Please do your homework before leaving negative comments.

Due diligence, at a minimum, should include reading vacation guide books such as Frommer's. You will find that they all recommend that you do not frequent the beaches of San Juan after dusk, hence the policy of closing the beach entry at dusk. Oh, the beach entry turnstile is gone and has been replaced with a podium and security personnel. As for the wrist band, you should feel comfortable knowing that although this is a public beach, ESJ doesn't let just anybody in as that means they have had to have come through the building and shouldn't be there in the first place.

They have been making major upgrades. Have you noticed the new windows? The new balcony doors which open like a door rather than sliding? The tinted glass helps diffuse the solar load on the building. This coincides with the warmer hallways, too. Why waste energy cooling the hallways? How much time do you really spend in the hallways? After all, the elevators are pretty fast. I've also noticed that they have reprogrammed the elevaors to make them more efficient. Unless they're both or all, depending if you're in the north or south bank, an elevator is always "parked" on the lobby level.

Beach access through the garage is not scary as some have stated. It's well marked to warn pedestrians of traffic; look to your left and right before stepping into traffic. Kind of like you would do when crossing a street! I'm sure this was an architectural oversite.

This building was not built with central A/C therefore each room has individual A/C units. The units make some noise, this is the nature of the beast. The new A/C units do not take up nearly as much space on the balcony as the old ones did. They do an excellent job of cooling. The room walls are poured concrete so the rooms tend to maintain their cool temp when the unit is off.

Old and dated? Yes, but sturdy and clean. They are always cleaning the common area hallway carpets and in general keep the entire facility very clean. Again, as stated above, they are making making major improvements. Old is good! The building is solid. Years ago a hurricane went through the area and ESJ was the only building that did not lose power. My Aunt was there during that time. ESJ was kind enough to assist nearby hotels. Kudos to management for considering others during a time of crisis.

Our condo is completely updated. New appliances, new balcony door, windows, flat screen TV, new HVAC system, plentiful kitchen supplies, the housekeeping service never complained if we requested extra towels or TP off their carts and they are so friendly! TV clicker didn't work? Maintenance was up within 5 minutes with new batteries, changed the batteries himself to make sure it was a battery issue and not a different issue. He was extremely pleasant as well. No radio/alarm clock? Some scofflaw probably packed it in his luggage when he left. It takes all types to make up this world we live in. Management brought us up a brand new radio/alarm clock the same day.

We've never had problems finding a parking spot. Perhaps ESJ hosts events causing the garage to fill up on occasion? These things happen. If it was your event you would have been happy for all the available parking. Give them a little leeway.

Security service is very good. You'll see security almost anywhere you go in San Juan. From the vantage point of my balcony and the fact that I sat out there for hours during the evening reading, I saw security making rounds constantly. They are very conscientious.

Concierge service is spectacular! They are seperate from ESJ. They are Castillo Tours and will bend over backwards to make sure you get the trip/tour you want and arrange for special accommodations. We have never been disappointed in any tour they have booked for us.

Management and front desk personnel have always greeted us with a smile and with genuine enthusiasm. They are eager to make sure your stay at ESJ Towers is comfortable and to your liking.

I do agree that the pool could stay open later than 7:00 P.M. I personally don't use it but my balcony overlooks it. I watched them clean it every evening and prepare it every morning. I'm sure there's a good reason for the pool hours.

The grounds and landscaping are beautiful as well.

ESJ Towers gives you a little more of the flavor of the city. Not as much as a B&B or a villa but then if you wanted that you could have booked that. If you want massages, salons, pampering, luxury accommodations etc., then you can book that type of facility.

Thanks, ESJ Towers and all its personnel, for consistently providing us with excellent accommodations and service!

The Rigby's

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool give you a good view of the ocean and the city in the far distance.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ESJTowersMaria, Director of Sales at ESJ Towers, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
On behalf of ESJ Towers Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at ESJ Towers, and your kind comments about our staff, facilities and services we provide.

I will forward your review to our all our departments and management office for their knowledge and posting.

I wish you the best in all your personal and business endeavors.

Looking forward to your return and opportunity to thank you in person!

Hotel sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I travel ALL the time and don't consider myself that picky, I love a local hotel for a good price even if it is not that up to date. But this place was so awful I paid money to leave early. We left after 2 days, and that was 2 days too many!! The rooms are old and depressing, need updating, musty, terrible kitchens, you have to go get your own replacement sheets/towels/toilet paper, even the parking garage is horrible. The staff is overworked and not very helpful, although they meant well, they just looked weary.

The area around the hotel is scary, there is barbed wire all around the property, everywhere has barbed wire! We were going to take pics but I just wanted to LEAVE. We could not get back from the beach after 7pm at night (still light out) without walking all the way around about 20 minutes past creepy people to go back to the street to re-enter the Hotel. San Juan Towers and Casino would not even let us walk through to get to our room. No love lost between ESJ towers and El San Juan Resort and Casino. You can't pay cash at bars, restaurants or gift area - only room credit. If you don't trust your staff - hello- pay more and get better staff!!

I usually travel and go to restaurants, bars, casinos almost anywhere by myself and I am very comfortable, but I wouldn't walk down the street on my own, there were leering taxi drivers, hooting men, just a very bad feeling, and I am over 50! Trust me, I am not that hot! It is not safe, even my boyfriend and his nephew felt anxious there, and they are both 6 ft tall surfers, not wimpy guys. My advice: Go to the rest of the island, it is beautiful with lovely people, great food, wonderful to visit, but run away from ESJ towers until they upgrade the place, and make it safe to visit. I will NEVER come here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of ESJ Towers management and staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Your comments are appreciated and will be forward to our departments for their knowledge and action.

ESJ Towers is a Time-Share/Condo-Hotel it seems that you stayed either through a private owner or time share which for none we offer daily maid service. Should your reservation was through a private owner they needed to provide you with all information about fees for additional services. Should it was through a time share reservation; when you arrived to your unit you were set up with all the amenities for the week, and if you needed to exchange towels and linen the Fitness Center is available for time share guests. It is stated on your II confirmation that maid service is not included, but we do offer it at an extra charge.

Reservations booked through our hotel reservations desk are offered daily maid service and other amenities included with their nightly rates.

Security of our guests, condo and time share owners is very important to us. We have 24hour security in our premises like every other hotel in the area.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not feel safe in the area. The Isla Verde area is one of the most visited areas for tourism, and security around is very good. We are located next door to the El San Juan Hotel & Casino (just next door neighbors; we do not share facilities, but you may use their casino, bars, clubs and restaurant which they will accept any type of payment), the Intercontinental San Juan, the Ritz Carlton, the Embassy Suites, and others. Isla Verde is a very nice area with one of the best beaches around the island, hotels, nightlife and restaurants. Also we are located just five minutes away from the airport.

Once again I thank you for your feedback, and I do apologize for any inconveniences you may have had while staying with us.

I wish you the best in all your personal and business endeavors.

Maria del Mar
Sales Manager
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We choose to stay at the ESJ Towers for our most recent Puerto Rico vacation. Excellent views and close to the beach. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to visit Puerto Rico on a budget. Great parking for anyone with a rental car in the parking garage. Great swimming pool, our only dismay was that the pool closes very early at 7:00 each day not allowing guests to use the great hot tub in the evenings.
Close to the El San Juan Casino, close to food and the airport. We would absolutely stay there again over staying at very expensive hotels in the same area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Old San Juan, the view is much better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ESJTowersMaria, Director of Sales at ESJ Towers, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
On behalf of ESJ Towers management and staff, I would like to thank you for your feedback and comments about your stay.

We are happy you had a great stay and we hope for your soon return. Wish you the best in all your business and personal endeavors.

Maria del Mar
Danbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed in August with my husband and 2 kids (9&13)The only good thing is the location, its in the middle of everything. Yes the staff were all very nice and friendly. Hotel is very out dated from the 2 pool tables to the paddleball table and paddles that should be replaced (seeing you have to pay about $1.25 for a ball). Now for the rooms, I don't remember my room # (it was on the 7th fl though) when we walked in we were very disappointed, the fridge had a funny smell the room did smell, carpet was/looked dirty the curtains and bed sheets just "old". Bathroom did have mold as others mentioned. It just wasn't a welcoming feeling. Also very boring, no activities.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at ESJ Towers, also thank you for your kind comments about our staff and location.

I will forward all your feedback and comments to our management team for their knowledge and action.

We wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I booked the trip hoping for the best. We were shocked when we arrived to smell an overwhelming musty smell in the lobby. Downstairs was passable, but dated. We tipped the receptionist for a higher room ($20) and when we got to our room, we were disgusted. The room was moldy and the smell was overpowering. The room had original 1975 carpet, drapes caked in black mold, the vents were covered with thick dark dust, anD there was mold growing in every corner. The bathroom has no fan/vent so the moisture just sits and grows. We had brought our 1 year old with us and we didn't let him crawl around. We checked out the next day. Needless to say this was the most unsanitary place I had ever had the misfortune of staying. The manager was apologetic, but nothing was changing our mind about leaving. The TV kept going out and maintenance came fast but never fixed it correctly. Sure the staff are nice, but a smile doesn't make Hell any more pleasant. If I was 20 and drunk, I wouldn't care as much, but I don't drink and I have to think about the health of my family and I want to relax in clean comfort on vacation. The 20 year old AC unit on the balcony had to run so hard so long that you had to crank to TV volume to drown out the noise outside, which had a broken sliding door and crap lock. The hotel food was good and staff were lovely.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at ESJ Towers. I apologize for all the inconveniences you had, and I have forward your review to our management team for their knowledge and immediate action.

Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I have been owners here for over 30 years, It has proven to be a reliable vacation experience during that time. We see friends when we visit who have also owned here 30+ years so that says something. Maybe that we are getting old? Anyway, the rooms and other facilities have been better and some rooms are being upgraded. Facilities are always clean and functional. Problems are usually dealt with quickly. The location is ideal for beach going and the pool and whirlpool are well-maintained and offer plenty of sunny spots as well as shade for afternoon sun. Get to the pool early for the best shady spots and give Bingo a try at 2PM every day. Rooms are hotel-size and comfortable. We have no trouble sleeping. They provide adequate supplies for cooking and eating, a small stove with oven, a microwave and a full size fridge with icemaker. Lots of shops and fast food as well as some very nice restaurants (e.g. Metropol) within walking distance. Pueblo grocery is nearby (walkable) and best for stocking up on foods/drinks. And Carlos, the Pool bartender, will make you a great Pina to relax with. Have one for me.

Room Tip: Pool side of the building has the best view of the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ESJTowersMaria, Director of Sales at ESJ Towers, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
On behalf of ESJ Towers Management & Staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay and share it.

Thank you for your kind comments about Carlos I will forward them to him. We look forward to your return every year, and wish you the best in all your personal and business endeavors.

Hotel Sales Manager
Bergenfield, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was clean and the people were nice except the lady from Linens and Towels...yes you need to go downstairs and get your own linen, towels, toilet paper and those things...she counts them and only give you what you return...Source of like commissary in prison..and she is by the book...and will tell you off what she thinks...Check in and out was quick and there were nice and amicable...the beach and the pool were great...I needed to call maintenance for a fuse in the mini-kitchen...He came quick and took care of the problem...
I had to unclog the tub which had a lot of hair...I felt like scrubbing the sink and the bathtub...but then I remember I was on vacations>>>Location was great and staff was nice...and resourceful...The hotel needs a make over...but it was clean...Oh...

Room Tip: You have your own beach in a good location and the rooms are clean but that' all....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at ESJ Towers, and also for your kind comments about our staff. Also, to apologize for any inconveniences you had while staying with us.

ESJ Towers is a Time Share-Condo-Hotel. By your comments about towels and linens, it seems that your reservation was through a Time Share Exchange.

When you book this type of exchanges upon check in you will find the room setup with everything you need, but maid service is not provided during your stay unless it is requested. Such service has an additional charge. All Vacation Club and/or Interval International guests need to exchange towels and linens at the Fitness Center. Guests need to bring the dirty ones (towels & linen) and receive clean ones.

Guests that book reservations through a Private Owner do not receive maid service in their apartments unless requested (additional charge). Should your reservation is at rate per night (with the hotel) then maid service and other amenities are included in the stay .

I will forward your review to our Management Team for their knowledge and action about all your remarks.

We look forward to having you as our guest, and wish you the best in all your personal and business endeavors.

Hotel Sales Manager
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#4 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 2,306 reviews

Been to ESJ Towers? Share your experiences!