“Best getaway ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Playa

You added Hotel La Playa to your Saves list
Hotel La Playa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Calle Amapola, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Miami
“Best getaway ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

The hotel is beautiful, great views, excellent service, delicious food. Can't wait to go back, we went a couple of days for my birthday and it was great. I went there years ago, and now it's a complete different place! Loved it!

It's so close to everything, the beach is a minute away, you can rent a car a go to the Old San Juan, or you can just walk around the area and will find everything.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bristol CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

We took a chance at this little hotel because it is under new management and we spoke personally to the staff before the trip. The have redone the hotel and restaurant and it is great. Ten steps out the front door and you are on the same beach as the El San Juan and Intercontinental. A short walk up the street and you are on the beach of the Ritz Carlton. The location is great for restaurants and access to the bus. The room was a little small but we spent little time in the room. The hotel and room were extremely clean and the staff was very accommodating. There is always someone there to help if you need it. The restaurant was good also and the hotel offered continental breakfast as part of the room rate. We would stay there again without question!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in January. I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The hotel is actually more of a 'motel,' since the rooms open to the outside, but that didn't really matter. I was happy with my stay, especially given the price.

I guess the hotel isn't technically on the beach, although it is on the water (the beach is about a 5 second walk away, across a narrow one-way street that dead ends at the ocean). We had an ocean view room, which the owner let us upgrade to for a nominal fee when we checked in. There is also a restaurant/bar on the property. Food was decent and not overpriced (lunch is better than breakfast, but I didn't have dinner). The restaurant has the best views around, because it sits right on the water. I couldn't find any other restaurants on the beach with that kind of prime location. I love to have a drink and look out on the ocean, so this definitely fit the bill.

There isn't a pool at the La Playa, but the El San Juan (right down the beach) has a nice pool and anybody can walk in, although I'm sure we weren't supposed to.

Most of the fixtures in the rooms have been replaced, but you're still not getting the Ritz (which is also right down the beach, by the way). The bottom line is my room was very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the view of the ocean was absolutely amazing. We were right over the bar but had no problems with noise.

It's a nice change of pace to stay in a small hotel where the owner is actually present and on the property. The staff was also very friendly and attentive. There was also ample parking in a separate lot.

I would recommend this hotel as a great value, especially since has 'extras' the pricier hotels don't have, like that amazing ocean view from the restaurant.

• Liked — Location for the price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel La Playa? Share your experiences!