“We love this place glad we came back this year!! Perfect location!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Playa

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Playa to your Saves list
Hotel La Playa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Calle Amapola, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
Connecticut & NewJersey
“We love this place glad we came back this year!! Perfect location!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I wanted a getaway for my birthday again and I was glad that I was given a good rate for being a return guest this year. My boyfriend and I stayed longer this time and it was really amazing. The hospitality here is 5 star worthy. The overall friendlyness of this island makes it our new fav getaway. Forget other nearby hotels that charge ridiculous rates and hotel fees. It's not worth it! This hotel is close to the airport and you are right on the beach. Early morning swims were refreshing. There are local buses near by for 75 cents that take you to Old San Juan. We didn't have an ocean view room this time but we didn't care. Every morning we had free breakfast on the deck watching waves. The free breakfast is basic bagels cereal fruit and coffee. Cant complain! The food on menu is delicious but pricey. Try the mofongo! The location is perfect because so many other restaurants are nearby (Metropol , Don Jose, Chilis )and a Walgreens too.

I also loved that even though the island had plenty spring breakers.... Our hotel remained quiet and safe! Also on the day we were leaving I got a call while we were out saying I left my jewelry in room. Which was really nice of them to return it even after we already checked out.

My boyfriend and I can't wait to come back!!
Thanks again Hotel La Playa

Room Tip: Ask for 209
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Surprise, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was a quick one night stay, as we were heading out on a cruise. We checked in around 2 or so, but our room was not quite ready. We went down the way to the open air bar/restaurant. We enjoyed the sea breeze, views and great food. We were heading to Fajardo to Kayak that evening, and the waiter helped give us with very easy to navigate good directions.

Once into our room, although it is not modern furniture, it was functional and very comfortable for the evening.

The next morning, we had a reservation to tarpon fish in the lagoon just a five minute ride away from the hotel. Well to our surprise, our youngest son had met with something that did not agree with him. He was very ill in the morning, and I have to say the hotel staff could not have been more kind, compassionate or considerate that morning to afternoon.

Linda and the owner were both very concerned, and allowed us to check out late to give him time to get to feeling better. As we headed out in the taxi, Linda even gave me a few bags and napkins, just in case our son felt sick again. As luck would have it, he was feeling better, and they were not needed. We were concerned that we would not be allowed to board the ship, and told us that we could come back if we needed to.

There is live music Saturday nights, and earplugs were the remedy. Not noisy, but we live out of the hustle and bustle of the city, so we are not used to noise. It was not ridiculous, but had I not known, I would have need to head out to Walgreen's just down the road to get some!

The location is a little tricky, as the hotel is located at the end of the a one way street, and you actually need to turn down the wrong way to get there. It does not have a beach front, but there are beaches on either side, and you hear the ocean form your room, All in all it was a wonderful stay, great customer service and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at La Playa for five nights in January. It was an easy cab ride from the airport. It's location (right on the ocean , between two beautiful beaches) was very good. The appearance is that of a beach motel. I had a large room facing the ocean from the second floor. The room was spacious, with basic furniture but a very comfortable king bed. The bathroom had good towels and a very good shower. The aroma therapy candle was also a nice touch.

The reception was friendly and the personnel helpful. There is also a very good restaurant in the hotel (actually outdoors, with good food, great drinks, (and a great happy hour). I would happily stay here again, it is a very good and fairly priced alternative to the big hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Get a king room facing the ocean
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eastham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you want an alternative in San Juan to the big hotel casinos, Hotel La Playa is a great choice. It's a friendly boutique hotel, right on the ocean, with a small island feel. Friendly staff, great bar and restaurant (many come over from the big hotel casinos for a more authentic experience).

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

On the plus side, the hotel is located next to two beaches, and has a restaurant on the water with a great view. On the negative side, they use overpowering air 'freshener' that reeks of coconut oil, and leaves one smelling like a public bus bathroom. The window looks out onto a garbage heap next to the hotel. I asked specifically if they played loud music, and was assured that they did not. However, the droning thrum of bad 80's rock music lasted well into the evening. The restaurant, La Playita, is inexplicably popular -- we were served drinks, then waited 40 minutes to give our dinner order. The crab cakes were inedible, the hamburger not nearly the half pound that was advertised, the water full of chlorine and tasting of mold and mildew, and the main meals coming at least 15 minutes apart. Add to that a surly waiter's attitude, and I will never be returning. I travel frequently (at least 15 hotels per year for the past 22 years), and would place this at the bottom 10-15%.

Room Tip: By all means, choose the 2nd floor, otherwise you will feel the claustrophobia of being in an 'a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Waltham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at Hotel La Playa for a week. The location is great. Just steps from the beach and within walking distance to nearby hotels, casinos, and restaurants.

I really wanted to love this property, but it fell short of my expectations. The room was very basic and furnishings were worn. The room was very clean. The staff wasn't really exceptionally friendly in my experience--not unfriendly either, but reading the other reviews, I expected a little more.

We upgraded to an oceanview room -- the view was somewhat blocked by the roof over the restaurant and there were no screens in the windows which made it not ideal for keeping open for the ocean breeze at night.

It was nice to have a restaurant and bar on premises, but it was fairly expensive. Four drinks cost us $40! Food was just ok. For the most part, the servers in the restaurant were friendly and efficient. There is entertainment on the weekends which got loud, though that didn't bother us specifically, though I could see how it might bother other people.

The biggest issue for us is that we heard sounds in the ceiling/attic space above our room that sounded like some sort of animal. I believe it was bats. There was a squeaking and scratching sound throughout our stay there and it was unsettling. We never saw any signs of any animal in our room, but it was still not the best feeling to hear.

The price is definitely much cheaper than the other higher end hotels in the area, but I'd probably not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Longmeadow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Not only was this our first stay at the Hotel La Playa, it was our first trip to Puerto Rico. The hotel is very small, only 15 rooms, but makes up for it with a staff that is out of this world. And we mean ALL of the staff. Starting with Alberto, the owner, who is on site daily, who was always free to help with questions of where to eat, where's the best beach, etc. All the staff greet you with a genuine smile, and and a genuine concern. They went out of their way to engage us in conversation. My wife and I know about eight words in Spanish, but that made no difference to them, as most of the staff were very fluent in English. Jorge, the dining-area manager, made sure our dining/drinking experience at the hotel was the best. He's constantly walking through the area to make sure everything was just to our liking. The wait staff were incredible, always helping each other out. Our special servers were Anna, Normburt, Laddi, Hector, and Jonathan, not to mention the others whose name we did not catch.

The food at the hotel was to die for, we had the best Mahi, but we also loved the playita salad, arugula salad w/ chx, and all the monfongos. Don't leave without having the coco loco, a rum concoction that they make inside of a coconut. Don't expect to operate any heavy machinery after it though! The view from the dining/bar area is absolutely beautiful. Many days we would order a drink and just hang out on the deck area, gazing out to the beautiful green/blue hue of the water. We also ate at Carli's Bistro & Piano bar in Old San Juan. A small, quaint restaurant where the food was spectacular and our waitress Roxanne was extremely helpful in guiding us to the perfect food/drink choice. We also ate at Metropol, in Isla Verde, a short walk from our hotel. My wife and I both thought the meal was mediocre at best, and thought the restaurant was packed mostly because the meals were cheap and the quantities were great. Don't waste your money at the Metropol, there are many more good authentic places to go eat.

At the hotel, even though the rooms are somewhat small, they were very clean. Trust me, my wife is a clean freak and she was impressed. Margarita, our housekeeper, always greeted us each morning with a smile, and she did her best to try to teach us some Spanish! We failed miserably, but she would always have a hardy laugh with us.

The only complaint that we had was the noise coming from the street side of our room. The hotel is located on a dead end, so people would congregate waiting for taxis, as well as late night beach goer's that sang terribly, as these street side rooms (only two) were directly across from the beach.

All in all, our stay at the Hotel La Playa was incredible and we will definitely be returning to see our new found friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Playa? Share your experiences!