“great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Playa

You added Hotel La Playa to your Saves list
Hotel La Playa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Calle Amapola, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
“great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I was a little hesitant to stay here since I'm more of a luxury resort kind of guy but I'm so glad I chose hotel la playa. The staff went out of their way for you and everyone was extreamly nice. there was one night where me and my friends wanted to go to a club so we asked one of the staff (Elliot) where we should go. he told us where the best spots were but said there was a strict dress code, no short or flip flops and that was all i brought. Elliot went out of his way to find me something I could wear to the club! this is only one of many examples of how the staff went above and beyond. I couldn't thank him enough. if I ever go back to PR, this is where I'll be staying. and you should stay here too! you won't regret it!

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We go to Puerto Rico often and this time decided a week was not enough, so we extended our trip but had to move out of our condo. We found this hotel while walking on the beach. A small hotel with great rates, great rooms, great views, clean and up to date. An excellent full bar and restaurant below, right on the water. On to the staff, I don't even know how to tell you how friendly and kind these people were. Alberto (Owner), Linda (Receptionist) and Margerite (Housekeeper) have a great way of making you feel as though you are family and they genuinely want you there. We just can't say enough good things about this hotel if you are looking for a place where you are not just a number and want your host to actually know who you are.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in March and had one of the oceanfront rooms. The view is great unless you are standing right at the windows because then you see the roof that is over the bar/restaurant and the run down building next door. However, on the plus side, you can open the windows and hear the surf and feel the ocean breeze - but screens would be nice. Keep in mind you are close to the airport and there are some early morning flights that you will hear if you have the windows open.

The bed was comfortable and it was nice to have a small fridge. One suggestion is to add some hooks in the room so there is a place to hang up bath towels, beach towels, wet bathing suits, etc.

The location is convenient - the beach is right there and you can walk to restaurants and the casinos.

I would say this hotel was ok, I am not sure that I would stay again but it certainly has a charm about it, a great location and a reasonable rate.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Stayed at the Hotel la Playa for two nights in late March and would have loved to have stayed longer. We came in a little late at night but Julio was hanging out on the patio just off the street and knew right away who we were. He was very accommodating and had us checked in and in our room in very quickly. The room we had opened to the inside patio area, was very neat and clean, and was very comfortable for two kids and two adults. Not huge, but for us it was perfectly fine.

We woke to some street noise the first morning, but was only temporary so the kids doze back off. I got up and had some coffee on the deck out the back of the hotel which is right over the ocean. They have a nice little continental breakfast with bagels, some danish, fruit and cereal. A wonderful picturesque start to any vacation day.

We spent a full day on the beach across the street from the front of the hotel. Its is a super nice beach. We just grabbed some beach towels and walked a couple hundred feet up the beach and rented chairs for $4 a day. Super deal!. There are a few food stands right there, so we snatched a few empenadas sodas for lunch. to have a beer or pina colada you need to go back to the hotel, but it is so close that it only takes a few minutes to be there and back. Was easy and the bar staff was very helpful putting drinks in a plastic glass. Our day on the beach was wonderful.

Drove to old San Juan at other end of town after beach. It was easy and we really loved El Morro. We kept the shopping brief in Old San Juan but there was plenty if that is what you are into.

Back at the hotel that night we went to eat at their restaurant. The place was full with a wonderful mix of folks. We had our first taste of Mofongo along with some other wonderful dishes. The food was really wonderful and the waitress was very sweet. Candle lit, right next to the ocean, wave lapping up under you. What more could you ask for. Bar was hop'n but was didn't go so late as to keep us up.

This just a terrific little hotel with a great staff. I have traveled to all types of places and stayed in all type of hotel and this a place I would love to return to. Not for you if you want resort type amenities or in house casino, but wonderful if you are into relaxing on the beach and some sight seeing. Remember Puerto Rico does have some poverty but the people are wonderful and there is a lot of beauty to behold.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Hotel La Playa is a simple, small, clean hotel right on the beach, and 20 minutes from the airport. If you want a no frills experience with very friendly staff and very easy beach access, this is a good bet. Our double room had two double beds, A/C, ceiling fan, and a large bathroom with a stall shower. Plenty of towels, shampoo, and soap were provided, as were beach towels (those we had to ask for).

Beach Access: You actually have access to two different beaches. Picture the coastline as a "W" -- Hotel La Playa is located at the tip of the middle apex of the W. Across the street from the front of the hotel is one long stretch of beach, but if you exit the hotel via set of steps and hop off of a rock on the restaurant side, you've got access to the other stretch of beach.

Bar/Restaurant: La Playita, open to the public, is the open-air bar/restaurant on the ground floor, overlooking the ocean. It's a beautiful spot, save for the abandoned building next door that's a bit of an eyesore. Drinks (prepared by Blake, the bartender) were great, and the food was pretty good too. A plentiful continental breakfast (juice, coffee, bagels, cold-cuts, sliced cheese, scones, cookies) is included with the room rate. On our last night, a Saturday, the bar area had a musician singing and playing guitar in the evening.

My one complaint about my experience at Hotel La Playa is that there was quite a bit of noise coming from the courtyard late on a Saturday night such that my sleep was disturbed (but then again, I'm a light sleeper).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We've heard of this hotel from friends that I gone there previously and said they loved it! Also, after looking at many different hotels that were on or close to the beaches, we realized that they were extremely expensive (200-350) and they didn't even include continental breakfast! So we reserved the playita hotel for 2 days and then took a cruise from san juan.

The hotel is literally located at the end of a street that is on the beach. This hotel is a hidden jewel. There is only one narrow street that directs you to the hotel so mark sure to rent a small compact car if planning to. There is very limited parking so you must speak with the valet driver to reserve a parking spot.

At the register we were welcomed by a loving staff. We checked in but the only thing that was somewhat strange was that they charge ur credit immediately there when u first arrive and not at check out. Also, I had many visa mastercard gift cards from my wedding, and they couldn't use them because they were not familiarize and their credit card machine wouldn't process them. So, we paid for our room for 2 nights and it came out to a grand total of $205 with continental breakfast that would include bagels, cream cheese, fruits, cheeses, lunch meats, cereal and juices ( better something than nothing ).

Our room was small, with modern wooden and eco-friendly furniture. The only down fall was that the queen size was harder and stiffer than a theraputic bed, but we couldn't complain bc we were only there for a short stay anyways. The ac at night made a lot of noise which made it hard to sleep at night but if u tell the front desk they will fix it. The resturant/bar area was located downstairs in an open area that had views of the ocean and live music at night. The restaurant had affordable and reasonble items on the menu. The kitchen was open until 12am. When u exited the hotel to go outside, you literally stepped onto the beach.

At night I would strongly recommend for people to stay at the hotel or the beach near the hotel, and not wonder off. The streets leading to the main street off the hotel are dark. If you plan on wondering off and discover the night life, take ur rented car or more preferably a taxi which only ran$ 5 dollars on the isla verde street, or $10-15 to old san juan area. But honestly there is no need to wonder off but you have everything at this hotel. We would only go sightseeing during the day which was amazing because we were close to everything. It is located 5minutes from the airport, 10 minutes from san juan/old san juan area, 20minutes from the rainforest el yunque, 20minutes from plaza americas.

I strongly recommend this hotel to everyone for a short stay just at the fact that the beds are hard and that it is not ur average huge commercial resort. It is a peaceful small boutique hotel meant for relaxation. I loved it, its afforable and welcoming. Next time we plan on going to pr for another short trip before a cruise or before another destination

• Stayed April 2011
Medford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I have been to la playa hotel several times and I always seem to go back since they have such nice staff family owed hotel and well kept.
I love the pina coladas and the foodis very good the breeze feels so good and the people here are even better. This place is just steps from the beach and also walking distance to all the main hotel and restaurants. If you would like a nice quiet place to relax have a drink and get some sun and get some fresh air this is the place to be . we are going back in august cant wait.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Playa? Share your experiences!