“Wonderful Chaos in Paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$159 (USD)
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Chaos in Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

The hotel grounds, pools and beach are fantastic and this is the place for nightlife. I spent one night sitting at the front bar in the lobby watching all of the people come and go. The Meat Market restaurant and staff were great and I would recommend enjoying a couple of hours at that bar as well. No need to waste your time in the Casino, it is very small and after gambling for three days I did not see one person win anything meaningful.

You need to be up early in order to scout out chairs - throw a towel and book down and consider them reserved. If you miss out, find a young staff member and a twenty dollar bill will go a long way. The drinks are expensive but delicious. We went to the local supermarket and filled our cooler and no one seemed to mind.

Please be warned - security is tight but people slip through, pay attention to your belongings - while we were there someone tried to grab my friends bag.

Lots and lots of good looking people are staying at this hotel and you are guaranteed to have a good time.

Very good for large groups - we saw a number of bachelor/ette parties while we were there.

Room Tip: The low-rise beachfront lanais have easy access to pools and beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Des Moines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed here the end of March 2014. Some of the things about this resort are great and others are just ok. The "Meat Market Miami" is definitely worth a visit the other restaurants were just ok we visited 3 others in the resort. The lobby bar,,, extremely fun every night that we went. The pool is just like other say if you want a chair you need to be out there early and put a towel and a book on them other wise they are all taken, but the beach is wonderful and the chair attendants were perfect and the wait staff were also spot on. The room was just ok we stayed in an ocean villa ground floor the refrigerator was missing the wet bar and when we asked at the front desk he said yes that room has been missing for quite awhile and the week we were there it still missing, then one night the light cover in the shower fell and broke, it was quite a scare and when we called in the morning no one ever showed up to look at it,, the maid finally cleaned the broken glass but no maintenance person ever showed up the rest of our stay. For the money this place has some good thing but for the most part its just ok,, I would not stay again.

Room Tip: If you get an ocean villa stay in the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

It was my 50th that the prior reviewer, Annie H made mention of (I wish you joined us). I specifically chose this hotel because it has the option of a party pool with a DJ, or a quiet pool.

The lobby is also full of energy at night with salsa bands playing, and everyone dancing. Great place to go if you want to enjoy life.

• Stayed May 2014
La Mirada, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel! Very close to the airport. There was lots to do here. If you like the night life they have a club on the first floor. They also had live bands in the center of the main entry area. It has two stages one that sets back that is kind of like music lounge & a second next to the same area that is by the center bar. Generally only one stage was in use at a time but if you like the salsa style music you will enjoy this. We enjoyed the night club it was more our taste in music. There is a small casino if you like to gamble. They have a few pools that are very well maintained and the cabanas were for all to use no extra fee which was very nice. There is an opening from the pool area that leads you directly onto the beach and they provide chairs & umbrellas for you as well. Very nice service in all areas! Now for the rooms – they were clean and very spacious. The entry area is fairly large kind of a waste of space but it gives you plenty of luggage room. Bathrooms have ZERO counter space they have a pedestal sink so you have to put all of your stuff on the desk table they have outside the bathroom door. There is a mirror so it is ok and the bathrooms are a fairly small so it works out better. They had a safe and all the normal amenities. Beds were comfy and the housekeeping was good. There are several places to eat within walking distance and a grocery store as well. There is also a enterprise car rental onsite that we didn't know about we rented a car from the airport for a single day it would have been nice to rent it from the hotel & just return it the same evening.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your reveiw, we certainly appreciate the very positive feedback, and please that you enjoyed all of the amenities the El San Juan has to offer. We are contantly updating facilites at the property, just completing a renovation of our Garden Villa rooms. This summer we will be completing the Casitas and the Ocean Front Suites, all for your future enjoyment!

Thank you again, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back, very soon!

Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com
New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I've stayed at a number of hotels in San Juan and I will probably stay at the el san juan again. There are definitely some positives and negatives about the hotel. The decor is definitely.... interesting.. But everything was spacious and well kept. Definitely think they could use some interior designer's help for the lobby. But again, it was grand and seemed clean. Monday and Tuesday the hotel is SO quiet. The restaurants were all empty, as were the pool and the beach. During the weekend I heard it packs up though. Despite being the only people in the restaurants (we just stayed sunday monday and tuesday), there were a good selection of places and the food was good. The pools were clean and big, as was the beach. Lounge chairs galore. The people staying there was a mix. Some high class- some lower class. Thats what you get with a big hotel. The hotel staff, for the most part, could not have been nicer. Very helpful and caring.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I hadn't been to Puerto Rico before and thought the El San Juan would be the perfect place to relax this past weekend. It's a beautiful hotel with great grounds and service but if you're not in the mood to party then the pool nearest to the beach is not the place to be. My husband and I had covered lounge chairs by the pool and by 2PM there were at least three different bachelor and bachelorette parties in the pool getting wild. Ironically the most rowdy group there was a bunch of middle agers in a private cabana celebrating a 50th birthday according to our server. They were loud, wild and must have ordered 20 bottles of what looked to be very expensive champagne in the few hours we watched. One after another they popped corks and guzzled champagne while they were dancing to the loud music provided by the hotel DJ and they were accosting each other and all the groups around them. Truth be told my husband and I (both in our early 40's) were probably more jealous than annoyed, we wanted to join them but didn't feel like we could "keep up". If you want relaxing you need to stay away from this pool. If you want some sun and a SHOW, this is the place to be! Maybe next time we'll bring some friends:(

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a review of the horrible customer service at the hotel that ultimately made me cancel my memorial day plans for this year. If you want to know about the rooms, grounds, etc, don't read this. If you want to know about how Hilton obviously doesn't spend any of their billions improving customer service, please continue reading...

I just wanted to know if the "casita" room could fit three people. They told me yes. And took my money. Then a couple days later they told me no-which cause a bit of panic. Then another person ("Lorraine") told me that yes, they do, because all of the rooms on that level have a pull out couch. Then, a fews days later, I was actually yelled at by a representative when I tried to UPGRADE my room because of the confusion (And out of my concern for the horrible reviews of the rooms here on TA). She would not help me spend more money at her hotel because I was misinformed about the pull out couch. It was a crazy conversation. I called Hilton's 800 number and asked for help (of course they didn't have the info). The Hilton rep tried to get ahold of the hotel as well and they put her (and me) on hold for a half hour. How is this hard to figure out? Is there or is there not a pull out sofa in the casita room? If there isn't, why can I not get an upgrade without being berated? All I wanted to do was stay at this stupid hotel....after being on hold for so long, I finally told the agent that I wanted to cancel everything about my stay. So I did. And I took my business to the Intercontinental. All because of irritable customer service/reservation reps who can't answer a question or get off their chairs to investigate to get an answer to an INCREDIBLY easy question. I was willing to pay hundreds more- I just needed to know what the rooms had in them. But they figured their opinion about my questions were more valuable. Bye, Hilton. I have never had anything but horrible experiences with you...(Note: the staff at the Intercontinental has proven to be excellent so far. I recommend giving them a call before you book this place).

Room Tip: Find our what is in the room before you book. They are all a mystery!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent experience with our teams. We sincerely apologize for any miscommunication or inconvenience while you were attempting to retrieve information on your upcoming trip. We regret this had an impact on your trip and will be sure to improve the level of service we offer during every part of our guest experience.
The Casita rooms do have pullout sofa beds, These rooms are pool front and have nice terraces that you can sit out and enjoy the tropics. They are also scheduled for a complete renovation this year..

I look forward to being of service in the future

Thank you!

Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!