“Just what we needed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino

Save Saved
You added El San Juan Resort & Casino to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $99
Ranked #9 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
Boston
“Just what we needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Exactly what we were looking for - sun and relaxation. All of the staff were excellent - especially Monique at the front desk, who was probably tired of all my questions. Every night, we would people watch, dance and gamble a little in the casino. We would always stop by and check in with Monique to see what was going on. The lobby, clubs and casino were always hopping!

We loved the view and location of our room - in the main tower overlooking the pool and ocean. After a little elevator noise kept us awake the first night, Yvonne swiftly moved us to a similar room, away from the elevators and we slept peacefully thereafter. We appreciated her accommodating us. We also appreciated the late checkout on our last day as we were not flying out until 8pm. It was so nice to be able to go back to the room and shower, pack etc before our flight home. Thank you Yvonne for being so pleasant, expedient, and helpful!

Our first 3 days were spent by the pool and on the beach. We never had a problem getting a chair exactly where we wanted to be and we enjoyed some long walks on the beach as well as the free yoga classes and the fitness center. The pools and hot tubs are plentiful as are the lounge chairs, hammocks, canopy double loungers and circular loungers.

We dined in several of the restaurants and had excellent service and delicious food. I traveled with a non-adventurous eater and was happy she could easily find her pasta, pizza, chicken fingers and grilled cheese, while I could enjoy salmon, mofongo and other tasty meals. There was an abundance of fresh fruits and fresh grilled veggies - yum!

On our last day, we traveled to Old San Juan. David, the concierge, was wonderful. He helped us plan our day, mapped out everything for us and recommended a great restaurant for lunch. He even went out of his way (making several calls) to find out the Mass times for us at the San Juan Cathedral and if there were Masses in English. We were very grateful for his expertise.

All in all we had a great trip!

Room Tip: Main tower. Pool rooms undergoing renovations now - some complete, some not.

1,559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The hotel caters to the local nightlife, not to the family on vacation. From Thursday through Sunday, we waited 30 to 45 minutes for food service - just to receive a menu, bar service - just to ask for a wine list, and front desk service - just to ask for credits for nights we did not stay, wifi we did not use, and meals we did not eat. If you need a towel or soap (which was not in our room when we checked in), you're screwed. If you call, they won't come. If you go to the front desk, the attendant yeses you before disappearing. For this, my solution was to get a pool towel, otherwise embrace the drip dry method. Safe did not work - this took over 2 hours to fix. Part of the reason is that the security staff (to try to fix the safe) and engineer staff (to replace the safe) flirt with the housekeeping staff before coming to your room. You'll find this out because you can hear the conversations and laughter outside your room and down the hall. Warning: the walls are so thin, you WILL hear the guy in the next room with a snoring problem. Ask for a corner room to decrease the odds of this happening. The thin walls brought security to our room twice. Both times to turn down the television, which was on while we were getting ready for dinner. By the time they left the second time, the volume was so low that both my father and I could not hear it. Warning: Carlos, of the security team is unreasonable and will threaten to kick you and your conservative father out of the hotel if he has to return to the hotel. This is not a wonderful experience. Also had to clean someone else's hair out of the shower with toilet paper. Very lovely. Finally, if you are a Hilton Honors Member and get complimentary breakfast, you will not receive a ticket for breakfast. No... you get charged and then have to go downstairs at the end of your stay to get the charges removed. And you will wait 25 minutes while the front desk agent disappears to discuss this with her supervisor, regardless of what information and documentation you give her. This is a hotel that goes through the motions and did not make one effort in the customer service department. I was truly disappointed and will never return.
The one pro is that the bar looks beautiful, though see above for service, so enjoy it while you walk next door to the Ritz or Intercontinental, both of which were very clean and very enjoyable experiences. This hotel could learn a lot from its neighbors. My advise is to stay next door.

Also, for a fantastic photo opportunity, walk across the street to the building with the Chili's. Take the elevator to the 11th floor. Fantastic view to take some photos.

Room Tip: The walls are thin so request a corner room to eliminate one neighbor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our management team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travels bring you to our area again.

New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I guess no one has come along with money to invest in this property which has fallen apart over the years. This used to be the grand dame of the Caribbean and now its more like the Haunted House attraction at 6 Flags - but not as much fun. The lobby is still grand but that's about the only redeeming quality left. The rooms seemed to have been refurbished at some point but they are tired and lacking and not very clean. We found a small pile of dirt near the bed that hadn't been swept out of the room. I pointed it out to the bell boy and he shrugged. There is no mini bar fridge - just a hole where one used to be. The hallways are banged up too. The casino has slot machines that are at least 10 years old. The whole place is seedy and run down. We had dinner at Brother Jimmy's BBQ on property and it was just awful. No one seems to care. It just exists. It's frankly quite depressing. I hope Hilton can turn it around but it would require a large investment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. First of all, thank you for your review. I understand that you found our hotel to be somewhat dated. I do appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest rooms’ appearance as this is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts with us. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying I booked the reservation directly with the hotel itself and not the Hilton reservation line. I booked a Beach Lanai and received confirmation from the agent that the room was renovated in October 2013. Upon arrival I was told that the rooms were not available because the construction was not finished. I was offered a Casita near the pool which was horrible - the room had mold stains on the interior walls and it smelled of mildew. I returned to the check in clerk and asked to speak to the manager. Yvonne the manager was useless. She offered me a room on the 9th floor of the main building and we went to take a look. Again it was horrible. The furniture in the room was heavily worn and the white faux leather divan was soiled; there was a table in the room with two different chairs - one lucite beach chair and one that matched the table. I returned to the manager again and she told me that was the best room they had - she was ineffective. I demanded a return of my two night deposit which they did and I immediately called American Express and they helped me get a room at the Ritz Carleton right next door which was fantastic. In my opinion Hilton should take a bulldozer two the place. I wouldn't have my worse enemy stay there. I am cutting my Hilton Honors card. I find it insulting that they would put their name on such a dive. There was no understanding of customer service and even the manager's intervention was useless. The photos on their website totally misrepresent the property and the reservation agents blatantly lied about the condition of the rooms.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
First of all, I would like to thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I understand that you were inconvenienced by your room not being available due to the construction that we are currently undergoing. As you could tell we are currently going through renovations and I do regret if this caused you any inconveniences. I can assure you we are doing everything we can in order to finalize our remodeling as quickly as possible. I do hope this isolated incident will not deter you from visiting us again.

Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

Roswell, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I used to love to stay at this hotel. It was clean, classy, and fun. After the last visit. I won't go back. No major issues, just not at all up to the standard it was or what I expect. I will probably stay at the Marriott in Condado.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here around the Christmas holiday of last year (December 2013) its not by choice but last minute we decided we want to be in the mid-town instead of the fajardo area. The lobby of the hotel is very pretty, location is not bad at all, the pool area and beach was ok as well but the rooms are different story. We had a parking lot view lol and our room is ok but it does smell mildew and old and the furniture definitely needs some updating its not the cleanest hotel, the windows are super dirty and the floors are not that clean as well. The hotel walls and hallway carpets are really dirty and it definitely smells. Plus the price for this hotel is outrageous maybe because of the time we went but seriously i won't be back and pay that much for a place that is clearly going downhill and you definitely feel unease instead of sleeping comfortably on vacation :(.

Room Tip: Choose maybe ocean view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I understand that you were not completely satisfied and I wanted to apologize if you found some areas at our hotel to be unclean. I can assure you that this is not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms and property meet the highest housekeeping standards and that our guests are 100% satisfied with their stay.

In addition you also mention in your review that you found our hotel to be somewhat dated. In regards to updating ---we're already on our way. In fact, our property will be undergoing some renovations in the near future to address the concerns you addressed.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

sarahi.maldonadomaldonado@hilton.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed at hotel for daughters wedding. I was treated well, however make sure you check bill, everyone we know that stayed was over charged for things not utilized. My daughter had issues wit casino do not use casino she hit jack pot, the refused to pay out, she and friend followed by security to there room as if they were not staying. No appoligey or follow up. Appeared to be mold in her bathroom she reported it was not fixed.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!