“Not worth it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
London, United Kingdom
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This hotel is supposed to be a Hilton and has a rating of 5 *. I have only given it 2*s for the swimming pool and entertainement facilities.If you have read the previous reviews on this site and stiil want to stay there then there is not a lot i can say to convince you. We had no option as were booked in as a large party. The hotel is too full of itself. The service is lousy, the restaurants in the hotel are overpriced and not worth the money in my opinion. The room cleanliness is bad.Add a 20% sales tax, and you will be even more disappointed. After the party i moved to the Hampton by Hilton across the road, for my second week. El San Juan hotel should take lessons from the Hampton, which for service, was one of the better hotels i have stayed in and nothing was too much trouble for them ( read my review on the Hamptons)

Room Tip: Try for a sea facing room on the higher floors as the noise from the disco will keep you awake all n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for staying at our hotel and for sharing your concerns. Our management and staff appreciate and rely on our guests’ feedback to help us understand the areas which may need our immediate attention. We are fully aware that guests who stay at our hotel expect and deserve the very best accommodations and service we have to offer.

I appreciate the time you took out of your busy schedule to share your feedback with us and we can assure you the specific matters you mentioned in your review will be addressed so that these same issues can be avoided in the future.

We sincerely hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the not too distant future and let us know if we have successfully improved upon our services.

Sarahi Maldonado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Red Bank
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Wow what a wonderful time we had! We stayed before and I couldn't believe it could get better - but it did. We had a nice room on the 9th floor, clean and comfy. It seemed to be chilly and after we brought our concerns to the front desk they remedied the situation.

I played and swam with my 2 young ones every day. The beach was beautiful... No seaweed and the water was so warm! Sand castles, playing cars and swimming while my wife got some much needed R&R poolside.

So the best part is the ESJ has hired Yosette a teacher who organizes kids activities. Well I lost my 6 year old to her! Spanish lessons, jump rope, bingo, dancing... she was the pied piper of the ESJ. The kids flocked around her and she was just terrific.(I found a letter that my son wrote her soon after we came back... have to mail it off). This was especially good because we had a day of torrential rain- and the resort kids were kept occupied.

What wonderful guests - lots of families but lots of couples and 20-30's and they all just got along great at the pools and beach... everyone had a great time... very nice.

Everything from my previous review holds true - read away... breakfast a+, club in the lobby a+... etc.!

Thanks again ESJ - we will be back!

Room Tip: I understand they are redoing the Garden Lanais... ask about it. If you are going with a sweetheart...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you so musch for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent stay, I will share your comments with the staff members you mentioned, and I appreciate you taking your time to recognize their services!

A very Health and Happy Holiday to you and your family, and we will be waiting for your return, and look forward to welcoming you back!

Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just checked in today (05Dec) and here for a long weekend and convention. The first room we had was not clean and we were given a second room, which I think was worse. Worst part is the serious mold problem in the bathroom and a moldy smell but that is not the only problem. The room is dimly lit and needed to ask for additional lighting to be brought to our room. There is NO decor, NO Dresser or storage, mud on the front step, dated old bathroom. We paid $350 night for this, I've never seen a Hilton at this standard, including their entry level hotel Hampton Inn, which in most places is so much nicer and usually about $100/night. I understand this is a beach location and location costs more but this room is far from Hilton standards. I have the photos and video, if any one would like to see, I will email to you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
I appreciate your candor on your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that when you first arrived to our hotel you found an unpleasant odor of mold in your room. I can assure you that this is this is not typical of the high standards we strive to maintain and sincerely apologize for this. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

It takes a bad experience for me to actually take the time to write a review for a hotel or service but here I am.

Recently visited for the El San Juan for the second time last week and had two watches stolen from my suitcase (one with great sentimental value). I'll explain further below, but overall the situation was handled terribly and as a result I would never return or recommend the hotel to anyone. When something like this happens, you expect the situation to be remedied and not be treated disrespectfully. The two security personnel I spoke with made it clear that they did not care in the slightest and just went through the motions. This was further reaffirmed during these events when several non-security employees conferred their lack of faith in the hotel's security services.

Here's what happened - On the morning I was to check out I discovered my watches were missing I called security and was told somebody would be "right up" to my room. As I was waiting in the doorway of my room for security it had passed the time of checkout when a housekeeper walked up to me and asked if I was checking out today, when I said yes, he condescendingly replied "you know what time it is, right?" I then watched him go down the hall to another room and encounter a woman older than me who was still in her room packing and the employee was very courteous and told her it wasn't a problem - so I guess because I'm in my mid 20's I don't get the same level of treatment/respect as other older guests - not a great business plan for the future.

After a half hour passed without security showing up I called back and informed security that I was preparing to leave for the airport and needed somebody and was told "it'll be another 10 minutes" (after being originally told they'd be right up). After 10-15 minutes passed the the bellman arrived for my bags and I explained the situation so he called security to say I'd be waiting at the front desk. Once I arrived at the front desk I spoke with a nice woman who contacted security again .... but they didn't arrive for another 15 minutes ... while my family was packing up the car and waiting to leave for the airport.

When the security employee Ricardo finally arrived he didn't ask any questions and simply told me to fill out a form. During our interaction I got the impression that he couldn't care less and was told vaguely that security and insurance would look into it. Then, after not hearing anything for four days I called security and simply was told to call back because I could only speak with one employee about it and he wasn't there (during the middle of the day on a Thursday).

Another family member of mine also had a room with a leak that caused water to pool on the floor (it was rained periodically throughout our visit) and it took four complaints before anything was done about the problem.

In conclusion, Puerto Rico is a great place but if you place a premium on customer service/satisfaction, stay someplace else. This was my second visit, and second incident with dishonest employees. (On my first visit to the hotel, my sibling and I ordered champagne to celebrate a successful night at the casino from the all night restaurant and were told they were sold out of the bottle we ordered and were given a lesser quality bottle for the same price. We subsequently saw a different employee go and open a bottle of the champagne we were told was sold out and serve it for another customer.)

Room Tip: Choose a room with a safe big enough to fit your suitcases/bags in.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology if watches went missing while staying with us. We want you to know that we have taken this very seriously and are taking all the necessary steps to thoroughly investigate this incident. Our customers’ personal property is always respected and I sincerely apologize if this caused you any inconvenience.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerly,

Long Island, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Attitude problem from staff. No coffee makers in room. Safe in room not attached - carry it away. No foam pillows - beware allergy sufferers. Pools and beach are beautiful - a positive! We came with 5 families - 20 people (9 rooms) for 5 nights and none of this family plans on returning

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. I can assure you that our main priority at our hotel is to provide our guests with the most attentive and personalized service and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you anticipated.

North Lawrence, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We are a family of 5 from NY who stayed at the El San Juan from Wednesday-Monday. We had a fantastic time! The staff, food, pool area, atmosphere were excellent! We will definitely be back! We are so happy to have chosen the El San Juan!

• Stayed December 2013
Smithtown, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was a Jet Blues getaway weekend and the El San Juan hotel was one of three hotels we could choose from. Since we had never been to Puerto Rico, and were unfamiliar with any of the hotels offered, we took a chance with the El San Juan! I am happy to say that we made the right one!! After reading some of the horrible reviews on this site, we were expecting the worst! The lobby was wonderful....old world feel with lots of energy! Casino was a nice size with $10.00 tables even on Saturday evening! Rooms were ok. Certainly not the Four Seasons, but, hey....you're in PR....the room is for sleeping, not hanging out in! We had a problem with a clogged sink in the bathroom which was addressed immediately and fixed quickly. The only two complaints I have is that the hotel charges for internet service and the bathroom facilities by the pool were poorly maintained and not cleaned throughout the day. Otherwise, if you are looking for a fun place to stay with lots of music and things to do....choose El San Juan Hotel!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room AWAY from the elevators and avoid floors that are directly above or below...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#3 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 1,086 reviews

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!