“Family vacation (total of 39 pax -10 rooms)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$179 (USD)
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“Family vacation (total of 39 pax -10 rooms)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Thank you to all the staff at El San Juan for your contribution to an awesome family vacation. Everyone were extremely accommodating and approachable, especially the housekeeping attendants on the 6th Flr. (July 11 -15). We had an amazing experience while in your care. We enjoyed the beach, pools, casino, and a function catered by your food and beverage staff. In room microwave would be an extra add touch.

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious,quiet and clean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Waukegan, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked threw priceline so I didn't pay full fare and I am glad. The hotel is beautiful don't get me wrong just no good enough for the prices they charge on there website. No bottled water in room or microwave. The bathroom has seen better days I am sure. But for the money I paid I won't complain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
On behalf of the management and staff of our hotel I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to read from your review that you found our properly to be beautiful and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are however disappointed to learn that you found our prices to be too expensive and that we laced some amenities such as a microwave and bottled water.

Please be assured that your valuable comments will be shared with my team as we continue to strive to improve upon our offerings.

Thank you once more for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again at our beautiful hotel.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I booked two Ocean Front Villas/Lanais rooms for our stay, This was the second of two hotels we booked for this trip in celebration of my brother's birthday. I wanted it to be special for his first trip to Puerto Rico so I paid a little extra for the ocean front rooms. I am so glad that I did! My only regret is that we didn't stay here the entire trip.

I want to start by thanking the manager, Susan Wilkerson, for all of her help pre-arrival. I was a little worried with some of the reviews I had read and reached out to her. She responded very promptly and assured me the rooms were beautiful and that everything would be fine. She was right! She also annotated in the reservation to ensure we had connecting rooms. We were supposed to work out something special for my brother for his birthday, but that didn't happen. When I checked in, Susan wasn't available so we didn't get a chance to discuss the options. I can't advise you all on what arrangements could possibly be made, but the offer was put out there. Thank you Susan!

We were warmly welcomed at arrival by the bellman. He was friendly, quick, and took his time to explain things to us. We checked in early as we left the prior hotel at noon checkout. The rooms weren't ready, but I expected that. Julissa at the desk was very nice and welcoming,. She made a great first impression of the hotel. She promised that they would call once the rooms were ready. Sure enough about an hour later I received a call and we got our keys. This was still well before check in.

We got to the rooms and opened the door to a fantastic view. The ocean front rooms have a back patio area where you can open up the patio door and wood shutters and just soak in the view and welcome the fresh ocean breeze. It was beautiful! The room was nicely appointed as well with a nice comfy king sized bed and sleeper sofa. The bathroom was nice with a separate whirlpool tub and shower, double vanity, and separate water closet. Everything was very clean and in perfect condition. I didn't see any issues with cleanliness or smell as some others have commented. I am extremely picky and I had no complaints at all. Our bags were promptly delivered to our rooms after we called them. I don't know how he got there so quickly.

The grounds were beautiful and there was plenty of space for everyone to stretch out and enjoy themselves. The hotel was not as busy as it could be during peak seasons and this added to the relaxing ambiance. We weren't right on top of one another and there weren't crowds of people everywhere congesting things. We also didn't experience any of the rowdy partiers that others mentioned int heir reviews. Everyone was respectful of each other's space. I especially liked walking around and looking at the beautiful flowers and greenery.

The service on the beach was quick and attentive. As soon as we stepped out, there was someone there to set up the chairs and umbrellas for us. I should mention that the chairs were free, but we paid $10 for each umbrella. I thought that was reasonable and didn't have a problem with that. They will put the chairs wherever you like as long as you aren't intruding on others. There was an attendant that came around and took orders for food and drinks. I'm sorry that I didn't catch her name, but she was also very efficient and friendly. It didn't take long at all to get our orders and she always returned to ensure we were fine. We ended up staying at the beach for six hours, getting burned to a crisp, because it was a pleasant experience.

The pool service was fine as well. There was also an attendant who walked around ensuring everyone was alright. The pool was well kept and the temperature was nice. the pool is not deep at all so we spent most of our time at the beach. Nevertheless, the pool close to the beach was very nice to look at and I liked the surroundings.

There are various shops and eateries at the hotel. We patronized many of them and everyone was friendly. The prices weren't as expensive as I though they'd be for a resort. The food was also delicious and service was great everywhere.

Upon check out, Frances was another smiling, friendly face who seemed to genuinely care how our stay had been. She remembered when we checked in and asked if the family enjoyed themselves. I had no issues with the bill for either room. There were no hidden charges or nickle and diming as others mentioned. It was all what I expected, including the resort charge that is posted on the Hilton website and the hotel's direct website. I cannot comment on those who book through alternate sites on why they weren't made aware of the fee. I do know that they also explained it when we checked in and I had to initial by the info.

My only complaints are minimal. I think that the price for internet, at $14.95 per device, is ridiculous. I was aware of the price before I stayed, but I still think it is silly. Of course one could choose not to use the internet and problem solved. With so many hotels offering free WiFi, they may want to consider this option. I didn't like that our room didn't have a microwave. I had children with me and this would have helped a lot with leftovers. I also thought that the cushions and fabric around the pools could be spruced up a bit. I'll give them a pass for now as it is the rainy season.

Overall, our stay was FANTASTIC and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, in the ocean front rooms of course. We previously stayed at the Embassy Suites up the road and the free breakfast and cocktails there aren't enough to make me not stay here. I would gladly pay a little more to receive the experience and treatment that my family had last week.

Thank you El San Juan! My brother said this was one of the best birthday trips we have had.

Room Tip: You MUST book an ocean front villa/lanais! Trust me. they are beautiful, modern, clean, and have the...
Dakar, Senegal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Beautiful hotel, great restaurants, one of the best venues to listen and dance to live tropical and salsa music...however, for the nightly rate....and to remain competitive with neighboring hotels at this rate....there needs improvement:

Gym:
Cardi equipment disappointedly out dated. 2 rusting Arc Trainers with broken heart rate meters. And even more rusty elliptical machine. The treadmills are in okay shape. Plenty of weight training machines. Hours say the gym closes at 9pm, it should definitely remain open longer. Weight training machines are in much better shape than the cardio equipment.

This walls:
I could here 3AM conversations from my neighbors and even woke up to their heavy breathing.

In sum, I would still come here for the entertainment and the restaurants, would not spend the money to sleep here.

Room Tip: Try and get 8th floor, ocean view, you can't hear the lobby entertainment, you can't hear th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
East Islip, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Had to wait til 4:30 to get checked in. When we finally got in our rooms, the AC and the refrigerator/cooler was broken in one room, and the Fan, refrigerator/coo'ler, safe (broke twice) and shower leaked in the other room. All this happened in 6 days. The rooms need to be updated. Furniture was worn and the walls could use paint. The pictures on line must have been taken when the hotel first opened bc they DID NOT look like that in person. The pool area was missing canopy's, the lounge chairs were worn and the pool closest to the beach is very small.
When we checked out, The hotel ADDED a 16% DAILY RESORT FEE which accumulated t $540 for both rooms. I was NEVER notified by Expedia OR the hotel about this DAILY resort fee. I was very upset and fought it. I was able to get it reduced to $270 however, I should have NOT paid anything bc I was never informed. They told me when I checked in, "You booked through Expedia, your paid in full. We just need a credit card on file IN CASE there are additional charges" Which there were, I feel I should have been notified by the hotel when I checked in.
If you want a nice hotel, stay at the Hyatt down the block. Much Nicer

Room Tip: Make sure it is clean and all the appliances, lights work
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I truly apologize that there were some additional charges that you did not expect. I can assure you that we never want to intentionally mislead our guests in any way and I sincerely apologize if the charges were not clear. Our main priority is for all our guests to feel that they are getting a good value. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try to provide all our guests with competitive rates. With this said, I will assure you that I will take your comments into consideration and your comments will be internally discussed with our management team to ensure we provide or guests with the best rates.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again.
Medford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

From the minute I entered the hotel I could feel the hospitality and the warmth. Every person from the hotel front desk staff to the maids were super friendly and helpful. The hotel has a cultural feel versus the others that are so modern you mind as well be in Miami, FL. All the neighboring hotels send their guest to our hotel for entertainment. There is latin music most nights and on the off nights the clubs are super fun. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my experience at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

very relaxing resort, with a chilled beach.

good service, nice relaxing rooms, lovely ambiance in the hotel, and nicely located that it's only a short taxi ride into the local town

good for families and couples. if you are a couple then head to the beach or the quiet area of the pool.

massage in the spa was done very well, and i like my massages.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!