“Perhaps a 4 starts, but not 5!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Madrid, Spain
“Perhaps a 4 starts, but not 5!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was there for a 2 night stay in a "business" trip. The property is old and not as well maintained as it should be for a 5 starts hotel. Besides, I found some litter from the previous guess, just a chewing gum and a plastic piece in the bin, which I saw only on my second night, but it is unacceptable in a 5 start hotel!!!
Apparently, this hotel is as old as others in the area, but staff do not do their job as they should.
Good if you get a good rate, but not at 5 starts price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this resort. The grounds are the most beautiful and prestine around the pools. All the staff was so friendly and helpful. The rooms were soooo great as well. Comfortable big beds, great big bath tub, nice large room with PLENTY of room. The resort is near many local restaurants and stores as well. Overall, a wonderful week at the El San Juan.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my recent 6 night stay at El San Juan Resort and Casino. My room was upgraded in advance as per my request to a gorgeous 2 bed king suite with connecting room and a panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean. At checkin I received a $100 Match Play coupon which I used on the last night and won. Also at checkin received continental breakfast coupons for 2 for each day of our stay, upgradeable to a hot breakfast at a nominal charge. I missed not having the cooked to order eggs chef that used to be there at breakfast, but nevertheless it was a nice spread of hot and cold dishes and there was never a wait for a table. I chose to sit inside as there are birds at the outside tables anxious to enjoy anyones unattended breakfasts.
The staff there was friendly and warm, and always greeted us with a smile. The only improvement I would suggest is microwaves in the rooms. On another note, my wife left her sweater in one of the taxis during our stay and the bellhop was able to locate the taxi and retrieve our lost item. The hotel is only 5 minutes from the airport, and is centrally located in Isla Verde and convenient to the local bus which we took to Old San Juan. I would definitely stay here again next time and highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was my first time to Puerto Rico and the El San Juan Resort and Casino. The hotel staff bent over backwards to help us when we needed it. Carlos at the front desk was exceptionally helpful. He helped us resolve an issue that was our issue not the hotels, with amazing patience and kindness. Carlos also upgraded us to the 7th floor overlooking the pool and ocean. We were originally booked on the 3rd floor in a City Vista room.

I highly recommend emailing Susan Wilkerson ahead of time. She was beyond helpful in putting my mind at ease, after I read some less than flattering reviews. Susan also helped to arrange for flowers for my friend's birthday, plus she sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne.

Our room was directly across from the elevator, but I have to say it wasn't that lound. There was the occasional loud drunk in the hall and next door to us. We called the front desk and the noise was handled right away. Some people just can't hold their liquor.

If you like nightlife this is the resort for you. The hotel lobby turns into a great party with live music and dancing. There is a dress code in the lobby that is enforced after 7:00pm. There is also a club in the hotel, but I didn't go there. Ladies prepare to push your husbands tongues back into their mouths. These local Puerto Rican women are gorgeous. You will see many of the local women heading to the club in the hotel in way too short dresses.

Our room was clean and very nice. Our housekeeper didn't leave us wash clothes a few times, but a phone call resolved that issue. We asked our housekeeper Carmen to wash the floor in our room as it was getting dirty. I'm not sure it they wash it each day, but every day after we mentioned it, Carmen washed that floor each day and it sparkled.

Prepare to pay a premium for things at the resort. Food in the restaurants is very expensive, even at the pizza place where a pasta dish can run $20.00. For breakfast I hit the Starbucks and had some oatmeal. I went to the Walgreens down the street to stock up on water and snacks. I ate my weight in chicken quesadillas while there. My favorite were the ones you could order poolside. The pizza place made them too, just slightly different. You can make two meals out of one order of them. There are many other options outside of the resort but I suggest saving up your pennies so you can have a good time without worrying about the cost.

The service at the Italian restaurant (forgot the name) was amazing and I enjoyed the food. Well worth treating yourself to a lovely experience. They have a dessert that means "crunchy" in Italian that was to die for!

I did feel nickel and dimed to death, but that is a Hilton issue, not an issue with any of the staff, nor is it their fault. I'm use to paying a resort fee, which we did, but not a fee for our bags to be brought up and a daily maid fee. Never in my travels anywhere in the world have I experienced that.

Another thing to be aware of is there is a daily charge for WiFi.
It's about $15.00 a day and it is per device. So if you want to use your computer and your iPad it will be $15.00 per device. Having said that, we did get our WiFi comped with the group we were with.

The grounds are beautiful. I never had an issue finding a place by the pool. Premium spots in the shade will be gone by around 11:00am, but there are plenty of spots in the sun.

Hilton needs to rethink some of their fees, but as far as quality of service goes, the hotel staff were indeed amazing. Any minor issue was dealt with to our satisfaction. Treating the staff as well as you want to be treated will go a long way!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for cutting out the party noise in the lobby and club.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Batesville, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband & I had an amazing stay. All of the staff were polite and helpful and quickly responded to our requests. Our room had a lovely decor and a beautiful view of the resort pools and the ocean. The beach is wonderful with warm sands & cooling waters. The food at the restaurants was very good and the service was excellent. The resort is in a great location and there are plenty of local shops and activities within walking distance. We enjoyed a perfect blend of relaxation during the day and excitement during the night. We will definitely stay here during our next visit to San Juan!

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor if you want quietness at night. The lobby is quite lively during the night!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Just got back from Puerto Rico and our stay at El San Juan Resort. This is a very nice place to stay. We stayed in the Garden Lanis rooms, which I understand are not the updated rooms, which was ok. The rooms were huge, way big enough for the 3 of us (all women) staying in the one room-super big enough for the 2 guys we went with, who stayed in the ajoining room. The only thing I would change would be if they do decide to update, make the toilet/shower area a bit bigger, it's a little tight.

The hotel itself is very nice. 99% of the people are friendly and helpful. The woman who checked us in really didn't care that we were excited to be in PR for the first time or that we were celebrating our 50th birthdays (she gave us that "who gives a crap" smile). But she was really the only one that didn't seem pleasant. At night, it is hopping. Music and fun everywhere. The pools (there's three of them) are well kept, seemed clean enough. Some of the lounge chairs have seen better days, but they were comfy.

I had read on this site that people found the buffet breakfast crappy. We didn't find that at all, in fact we ate there every morning that we were there. It's a basic breakfast buffet, plus they will make your eggs any way you want (scrambled is on the buffet already). It was all fresh and delicious-especially the blueberry muffins. The price, at $20, isn't bad at all. Harrah's in Atlantic City charges $22 for in room breakfast and it's not a buffet so you have to know resort prices.

The grounds are very well maintained and we all felt safe while walking around, even later at night. Be warned that the beach is not a private beach. While they hotel employees are there to put out your chair and umbrella, the beach isn't part of the hotel. There are some "dirtier" spots than others (cig butts, straws, etc), but that's not the fault of the hotel, just the fault of the pigs who don't clean up after themselves. The ocean is warm and wonderful and if you like to do water things, there are plenty of places to rent things on the beach. I don't belive that's part of the hotel though.

Us girls did the spa.....it was wonderful. The prices were definitely in sync with other mainland spas that we have been to. Everyone there was pleasant and accomodating and we were happily relaxed after our treatments.

All in all it was a great trip. The room was clean, which is all we really cared about. We were only in the room to sleep (which was about 8 hours anyway). The rest of the time we were out enjoying ourselves. I would recommend this resort, it is good for everyone.

Room Tip: The rooms we stayed at were a bit noisy because of the club, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

El San Juan Resort & Casino Hotel was exquisite! When you first arrive, they greet you with smiles and hand shakes. Very friendly and helpful staff. Our rooms were easily upgraded as per our request without a hassle. The pool areas were very clean and easy to talk to people. The beach was nice and peaceful and water comfortably warm. The rooms were clean and house keeping was superb. Drinks at the lobby were pricy but expected at a resort. I am defenitaly returning next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#3 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 1,099 reviews

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!