“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Laurel Springs, New Jersey
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was worried becuase of some of the bad reviews for this but we found it to be a great place. Our rooom was big and clean. The lobby is great, and we came back from Old San Juan Friday night to find a salsa band in the lobby and we danced all night. The three pools are not crowded but it is hard to find a shady spot. A Note however, the umbrellas and cushions were a bid faded and tattered, which considerabley brought down the ambiance of the pool area. The restaurants and bars were good, we loved KOKO and there was a little snack shop for breakfast and lunch that was really good. The only restaurant that was terrible was Yamato. (see our other review). We made reservations online a week before we went. We also went across the street and down a few blocks to Metropol - a local place that was excellent. They offer tours right there. The staff was exceedingly nice, always asking if they could do anything and opening doors for you etc. Also the spa was great, but they tried to overcharge us and we had to threaten to go to the concierge about it before they adjusted it. It made for a really nice vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The lobby is gorgeous, as many people will agree. The staff is really nice and accommodating - helpful if you need anything. BUT, for the price and reputation (we spent 300 for a king regular room)- it is disappointing. The rooms/hallways have a musty smell- almost like mildew. The bathroom/shower combo was super tiny, lacking what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. The rooms were outdated - especially the bathroom.
Also- I scheduled a mani/pedi in the salon - which felt old and outdated as well. For both services it was $100- would definitely not waste my money again on this. Thought it would be a greater experience being the El San Juan and all.
Overall, is a nice location with a variety of pool space/beach space but could use a refresh!

Room Tip: Our room was a "garden view" - super basic King room - not sure which are the better choic...
Dover, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The El San Juan's lobby is one of the most beautiful I've seen. Think of a cross between the glass art of Dale Chihuly and classic Hemingway Key West. Great first impression. Next the room by the pool. Total econolodge motiff. Dirty towels behind the bathroom door. Black mold seeping out between ceiling tiles. Squishy bathtub(?). Filthy like I've never encountered before. An "intimacy" kit that my two kids found on the nightstand. Classy stuff. No vibrating bed though. We tried to make the best of it, kept our mouths shut and went to the pool. Totally mediocre and Spring break like. Not our type of place. We went to the beach. Overcrowded and not very pretty. Back to the room. We can't take it and pack up and leave. We tell the manager(nice lady)we're outta here and they put us in a suite in the main building. An improvement, the rooms much cleaner, but tired looking and in need of some touch ups. I call my sister in he states, whose been to San Juan several times, and tell her i need a place to eat. At this point im not risking eating here. She says there's a fabulous Italain Restaurant actually in the El San Juan. We're tired. We go there to eat. I'm absolutely floored. From beginning to end its a 10! An absolutely perfect meal. I swear I'm flying back to San Juan just for this restaurant. We had breakfast at Starbucks because Italian restaurant was closed and I just couldnt press my luck.
Ok - so in short- spend the extra $150 and stay at the Ritz, but eat at the Italian Restauant in the El San Juan.

Room Tip: Stay at the Ritz. It's clean and consistent and not much more expensive. And it has a much ni...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Taunton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

The service was amazing, especially at the front desk! We walked out of our original hotel and came to the El San Juan, we were very welcomed and accomadated! We love Isla Verde, and this is a great hotel option!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure being of service! I see you took advantage of the many amenites the El San Juan has to offer and enjoyed the service the staff rendered!
Puerto Rico, as an island has so much to offer as a destination, and the resort is very conveniently located to most sites that our guests love to venture.
Thank you, again and we look forward to your return visit! Please make sure to contact me, as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back!

To all Tripadvisor Users; Should you need any assistance with a future reservation, special requests or would like additional information about the Resort , please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail at susan.wilkerson@hilton.com or call me at 787-791-1000 ext. 1565
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I took my wife to PR for her birthday. We spent 4 night at this resort and we had a blast!! When we researched the resort and saw the pics, it looked the same when we arrived. The staff was exceptionally pleasant, helpful and very friendly. We were told about the steak house in the hotel before we got there and we were looking forward to eating there but unfortunately they close the day we arrived. However Angel (staff) pointed us to the Intecontinental hotel next door at Rick's Steak house, that served fabulous steak and lobster. We went there and it was very upscaled, elegant and the food was awesome. Their Mojitos are the best we had ever had and the staff was just as firendly as the ones in our hotel.The pools at El San Juan are great and just a great environment to relax. We found the staff very helpful with questions concerning local resturants, transportation and sites. There are great local resturantsto eat, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Overall my wife and I had a great time and we are looking forward to going back soon.

MT, Connecticut

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower with oceam view
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I have stayed numerous times over the years at the El San Juan and as far as we are concerned it is the only place to stay, although a bit expensive it is all worth it. The beach and service on the beach is excellent.The casino and the hotel lobby is always exciting and fun no matter what time of year.Make sure you venture out to Lupi's next door or Ruth Chris also next door.Starbucks is in the lobby, walgreens is down the street. Make sure you dress to impress in the lobby at nite, and don't forget to go to Old San Juan and if you are in Puerto Rico for a long stay venture out to Rincon, beautiful also.Breakfast is expensive but very good, the birds are just bothersome when sitting outside.

Room Tip: Always, Always stay in the tower, the rooms have been renovated, and the other rooms outside are hor...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Nassau County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Don't stay here, you will be very disappointed. I just returned from 6 nights here and I would NEVER go back...nor would I recommend it to anyone! The place was grubby and the lobby bathrooms were filthy. They smelled disgusting and were definitely not cleaned regularly. My room was near the elevator on the 6th floor (although my Hilton Honors profile says that I prefer to be away from the elevator). There was a terribly annoying (almost like nails on a blackboard after 6 days) squeaking door behind the elevators, that sounded like it was in my room. It must have been used by the service staff because it happened all day and all night. It drove me nuts. I was told the hotel was full so I could not move.

The pools were beautiful but it was very difficult to get a lounge chair. There was a sign near the towel house that said that pool staff would clear lounge chairs at 9:30 am...I assume to free up chairs that were not being used so that they would be available for others. I never saw anyone do that. As a matter of fact, there was a man's shirt sitting on a lounge chair for 2 days and no one ever moved it. The pool cleaner actually tried it on to see if he should take it but it was too big for him. He threw it back on the chair and left it there. I guess it would have been OK for him to take it if it fit, but it never crossed his mind to turn it into the Lost & Found??? The majority of lounge chairs had towels on them but were not being used.

On the Saturday of my visit, it poured rain all day. I spent quite a bit of time in my room since there was not much else to do. The service staff spent hours in the hallways laughing and fooling around...they were very noisy. It was clear to me that most of the employees were more interested in socializing with their coworkers rather than doing their jobs. Guests were not their priority.

Although the pools were very nice and they were cleaned every morning, on my last day at the resort, I saw some weird film/sludge near one of the filters. It was gross and I have no idea what it was. This was after the pool was cleaned...YUK!

This was my first trip to PR and if I go back it will NOT be to the El San Juan. I wish I had read some of the reviews before I booked my trip. I would have gone somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the City Vista Rooms (especially room 628). The view is supposed to be of the city b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Pat, We thank you for taking the time to share your review, and for taking the time to write this review to let us know about our services and facilities. We are constantly looking for ways to improve all aspects of the resort and to address areas of opportunity. I would like you to contact me at your convenience, to have more details on your stay to be able to fix the breakdowns. Our ultimate goal is for you to be satisfied and certainly you are not. We are currently in the process of renovating some areas in the hotel, for our guests future enjoyment and to better cater to your needs and provide you with the quality product you have come to expect from a Hilton property.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon, I remain at your service.

Susan.wilkerson@hilton.com
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#3 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 1,081 reviews

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!