“Still awaiting a response from management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$179 (USD)
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Newmarket
“Still awaiting a response from management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I had copied emails in an earlier post last month so that people could read my content and sincerity in inquiring of room change charges and what appears to be additional charges for my 1 year old daughters accommodations but tripadvisor did not post since it had quoted material. It is a shame because people who read my numerous inquiries direct to hotel management with only one response from 6 weeks ago stating that they would review and get back to me. I'm still waiting Susan Wilkerson on emails sent on 12/19/11, 12/22/11, 12/29/11, and 1/5/12. The other couple that came with us has contacted Hilton and is also still awaiting a response. Extremely poor customer service on charge inquiries.

The very short summary is that I stayed at the ESJ Hotel with my wife, 1 year old daughter and another couple from December 5 - 9, 2011. Prior to arriving, I called on December 2 to inquire on having adjoining rooms to allow for easy monitoring of our baby who naps 2 times per day. December 2, we were charged $95 from the hotel shortly after making the phone call without warning of this charge.

December 5, we arrive at ESJ Hotel and we are assigned rooms across the hotel from each other. We mention we called on 12/2 about adjoining rooms and a crib. ESJ assigns us rooms next to each other but not adjoining which is fine but we also have to wait another hour for a crib to be delivered. Again not a huge deal but we did call ahead, were told we would have adjoining rooms, crib would be ready, and later (days AFTER checkout) finally find out that the $95 charge from 12/2 was because of the phone call we made requesting adjoining rooms. They stated the $95 fee was for the room change which was never addressed and not reimbursed and emails/phone calls to hotel management still haven't been addressed. Still awaiting Susan Wilkerson's response.

The other issue was that we were charged $190.00 per night for our room which was $38 per night more than we had reserved it for. Our friends in the room next door, which was exactly the same setup and size as ours, were charged the quoted amount of $152.00 per night. Upon checkout, I inquired of this difference and the lady assisting us said she did not know and that we should contact the reservation phone number. I contacted Susan Wilkerson via email about this item as well on 4 separate occasions (see previous dates of emails listed above) and still awaiting a response. I can only assume that the difference was for the additional baby we brought with us. If this is the reason for the additional $190.00 in charges, it goes against Hilton hotels family policy as well as ESJ's policy. If I was charged for the additional occupancy, the room they put us in was not rated for (3) occupants. I should have been placed in a different room rated for this occupancy if this is the reasoning for the additional $38.00 per night. Did I mention that Susan Wilkerson still hasn't responded to our repeated email inquiries.

The pools and breakfast were great and much of the staff were friendly. Customer service could use a boost (or boot).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
I would like to Thank You for taking the time to write this review to let us know about our services and facilities. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and areas of opportunity. I would like you to contact me at your convenience, to have more details on your stay to be able to fix the breakdowns. My apologies for any delays in responding to you, we have had several email outages in the past few months, that afffected our online service, I certainally regret not have being able to respond to you.
We value feedback as a means to improve our overall services..

With Best Regards

Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
East Hampton, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 days @ the resort...she suffers from a spinal cord injury and they couldn't do enough to make her stay comfortable. Carlos @ the front desk is a gentleman and all in all a good person. i would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking to have some rest and pampering. Cant say enough about how nice everyone was too us and everyone around us.... hope you have as great a time as we did.

Room Tip: ask for odd number room they face the ocean
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Germantown, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We anticipated that the ownership of Waldorf would ensure a top-rate hotel and were sorely disappointed. While the lobby and the casino had been renovated, the amenities were lacking in the rooms, especially the bathrooms. Also, there was no view of the beach from rooms ....no balcony.......and the poolside cabanas were worn and tired looking. On a plus: The brunch was phenomenal, (but we were pestered by table-top birds on the patio) and we loved the rooftop BBQ open air restaurant. Needs a sprucing up!!

Room Tip: I go to the beach for a good surfside location and there were no rooms that we saw that fronted the...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Based on my stay at El San Juan 10 years ago, I was excited about getting back. The lobby is one of the prettiest you'll see with marble and hand carved mahogany adorning it. It looks like the kind of place that Frank Sinatra would have loved while smoking a cigar and leaning on the lobby bar. Unfortunately, this is where the positive comments end.

The rooms like they were decorated with furnishings from Target. I think they were going for a minimalist, white theme but what they got was a sterile, plastic feel. The room was not soothing to say the least.

We had a weird security issue where we returned after dinner to find our hotel room door wide open....anyone walking by could see our entire room. As far as we can see nothing was taken, thankfully we had our valuables in the hotel safe. We called security and got a very unsatisfactory outcome as their equipment was down and they were unable to tell us whose room key was used to enter the room. We demanded a room change and were given it but I can tell you that the front desk treated it as more of annoyance to them than an issue of concert to me.

The grounds are in need of clean up as we saw common areas that had standing trash that had been there for sometime.

We enjoyed Puerto Rico, but next trip, we'll be choosing an alternative hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We needed to do our annual winter getaway and decided to go to Puerto Rico this year. We spent 3 days outside of San Juan and then 3 days in the city. We chose the EL San Juan for our time in the city. And WOW, what an awesome hotel.

From the moment you walk in to the hotel, you feel engulfed in classic old world charm. The ambiance of this hotel is incredible. One of my sons said this is the Waldorf Astoria of Puerto Rico. And I must admit, I think he is right. The design elements and architecture of this hotel are really cool. The lobby is fine. Many evenings they have live salsa/Puerto Rican music in the lobby. Many folks get up and dance and the ambiance is great. The exterior areas of the hotel are also stunning. The pools and pool areas are magnificent and very well kept. And then there is the beach…. it seems to be about a mile long and was great for swimming and some body surfing. Just in front of the hotel, you were able to rent jest skies ($40 per ½ hr). We did twice and had a blast. While this hotel is in the city, the outside areas and beach never felt that way.

The hotel service was excellent. We found the front desk staff, the bell staff and our housekeepers to be excellent. Service was definitely part of the hotel culture. We had reserved two adjoining rooms and the front desk upgraded us to a two room suite – it was awesome! We had great views of the pool area and the ocean. Our beds were great and we also enjoyed the bathroom amenities (Clear was the brand).

While we were in the city, we toured El Morro in Old San Juan. We also checked out a really cool ocean front cemetery in the same area. Near the hotel there is a cock fighting arena – yes, cock fighting. In Puerto Rico, this is considered a gentleman’s sport and has a very active following. We went one afternoon (with some hesitation) and actually found the whole experience very interesting. All bets on the fights are done by agreeing with someone near you on the amount and who you are betting on. Then a hand shake seals the deal. We ended up winning about $20 (which we later lost in the hotel casino). While the sport is very unusual, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves – ladies and children were permitted.

The El San Juan was a great hotel and a great part of our vacation. Our boys (14 & 18), as well as my wife and I, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Torrance, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My friends and I stayed in this hotel in January. There are some positives to the hotel such as the location on the beach is absolutely beautiful and the main lobby area is gorgeous. The chairs provided on the beach is a paradise for beach goers.

For a Hilton I was surprised by the upkeep and service of the hotel.... Let me paint a picture. On arrival we had a room on the third floor and had to drag our luggage up three flights of stairs due to the elevator not working in our portion of the hotel. That's fine we can totally handle that. Then we showed up in our room and it was pretty but there was an open bag of chips that was left with crumbs in our closet. After discovering that we asked the front desk to double check the mini-bar to make sure nothing else was missing. At check out they tried to charge me for a few different items from the mini-bar, which we did not use. They thankful took the $50 purchases off my tab.

Another disappointment was the jacuzzi heaters were down for three nights. My friends and I had a few active adventures and all you want to do is rest and relax in the jacuzzi. We had to contact the concierge to figure out what was going on and they had no idea when the heaters would be back up.

We stayed 7 days at this hotel and had to deal with a leaky sink for about three full days. We originally thought that we had dragged the water into the bathroom somehow only to find the puddle in our bathroom every afternoon and morning after getting in from the beach. I informed the front desk and they sent someone to look who said they couldn't fix it till morning. Morning came around and the people who were suppose to fix our sink left and didn't do anything... I had to remind the front desk that our sink was leaking quite a bit of water onto our tile. It was just disappointing to have to deal with a leaky sink while on vacation. There wasn't even an offer to change rooms and the hotel was definitely not full.

FYI it is a $20 cab ride to old san juan and the airport. So if you want to head into town make it a day event otherwise you are wasting $40. Puerto Rico is awesome enjoy your vacation!!!

Room Tip: Garden views were nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the El San Juan 5 nights over MLK day weekend. We had a room on the 7th floor with a view of the pool and ocean. The sliding door didn’t open (it had a sticker saying do not open) which was disappointing, but at least we had a nice view. We didn’t hear any noise from the lobby or club downstairs. The hotel and grounds are beautiful (I’m a sucker for a good swim up bar). The staff was friendly and accommodating – just the right amount of attention. The lobby bars and casino were lively and crowded – it was entertaining to watch guests from other hotels gasp at the beauty and energy of the lobby scene during the weekend. The beach was nice, but not beautiful. The drinks were SO EXPENSIVE. Two vodka tonics cost $30. The food was good – we ate at The Palm for bar bites ($5.50 happy hour menu weeknights) once, again for a delicious steak dinner, and at the sushi restaurant – all fantastic. There are two great beach sports bars just past the Intercontinental with cheap, good food. For breakfast we either had a bagel from Starbucks (located within the hotel) or walked down to the two breakfast places nearby. We also ate at the Meixcan Restaurant next door once. If you want to spend the money, there certainly is not a lack of dining options at the El San Juan. Brava, the nightclub, was small but fun. Also, I think it’s important to point out that there’s really not much around the resort. The airport is literally 5 minutes away, but you don’t really notice it. We had a great escape from snowy Cleveland and loved the El San Juan.

Room Tip: 7th floor was great! Wish they had a balcony, but there's no shortage of places to sit by the po...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!