“Ummmm...Ew” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
OKC, OK
“Ummmm...Ew”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Seriously I studied these reviews like a hawk before I left for vacation...listen up people, I speak the truth...change your reservations immediately...it was just terrible. 4 Stars?1 ummm...yeah I dont think so.

The lobby is stunning, a real throwback to 1940's Waldorf Astoria style, just gorgeous...unfortunately you cant sleep in the lobby. We had reserved one of the nicest rooms at the hotel...The Ocean Lanais, right on the ocean. The room was way below standard, it smelled like feet, everything was rusted and the sound of crazed children swimming in the pool at all hours of the night. I did get an opportunity to duck my head in some of the other rooms...yikes! We stayed one night and packed our bags. We ended up at Caribe Hilton...very nice and clean and wait staff that actually cares! If we had to do it all over again we would have stayed in Old San Juan...just beautiful...stay at the hotel El Convento...trust me!

This was my first visit to Puerto Rico, I do plan on going back just not to Isla Verde...it was spooky, dirty, and really gross. The beaches were nasty...a total city beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
chilisbud
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is by far one of my least favorite Hotels. First, and most importantly, two of my friends' credit card numbers were stolen/hijacked after we checked in. The first happened when a friends fiance called the hotel to order snacks and beers to the room as a surprise. To her surprise her credit card ended up being used around PR. The kicker was she never stepped foot in PR. The hotel's response: she must have lost her card here in PR. Absurd. Another friend after checking in, ended up with thousands being charged to his card in internet purchases. Not exactly sure what happened there, but seems odd that two people in one weekend had the same problem after their cards went through the hotel.
When I complained about it, the hotel had its security goons surround us like criminals and said if I want to complain, I should call the police; which is exactly what I did. I was told by the police that if I wanted anyone to do anything, I should fly my friend's fiance down to PR so she can complain. They all made us feel like they were going to arrest us, so we just decided to leave and never go back. Truly, the hotel management could not care less.

The other main issues we had were failed promises made by the hotel. Despite promises of upgrades (we had 10 rooms) and promises of a free pool cabana, we were given nothing. Again, when I tried to talk to someone, I was repeatedly told they were in a meeting. They seriously could not care less about customer service at this hotel. Additionally, you must check your bill carefully, as there were numerous bar charges on my room...the only problem is, I do not really drink so I knew they were not mine. They did take those off.

The hotel is a ascetically pleasing, but if you are looking for professional hotel service, look elsewhere. Truly one of the least friendly hotels I have stayed at in quite sometime. I would recommend the Ritz next door. This is was my second time at the hotel and would not go back if you said I could go for free.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

One of the more complete hotels in Isla Verde. THe hotel lobby is second to none and it has 3 different bars, live music and easy acces to stores, casino, restaurants and clubs. You can select between 2 night clubs, BRAVA which is nice for dancing trendy music and is always pack until 5 a.m. and D'Rose wich is more of an mature atmosphere where people 40+ usually go. The casino is one of the biggest I had ever seen and its staff is super friendly. I loved the pool area, it is HUGE. The restaurants where good specially Palm restaurant. Brother Jimmy's isn't that great. I preferred the baby back ribs from the Chijis across the street, same taste and less expensive. If you are traveling on a budget ask for a City Vista room, this rooms where remodeled recently and everything is new and modern. If you don't have breakfast included and want to save some extra bucks there's a Dennys walking distance. Last but not least try subscribing to Hilton Honnors, its free and they give you a separate line for check in so you can be in your room faster.

Room Tip: City Vista rooms are one of the least expensive and where recently remodeled.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

A crew of guys went down for a little guys weekend vacation. The club at the hotel is the life of the party throughout the week and especially on the weekends. Despite the HEAVY rain our entire trip, the pool area was still fun. The pool staff and bartenders where incredible and helped keep the party moving. I was in the main hotel and the rooms were simple and stylish (Miami beach lite) but my buddies were in a first floor cabana or casita and it was pretty crumby. There room was a little ways away from the action and seemed like a dark cave. All in all we had a great time, minus the lost money on the tables, and lack of sunshine... One thing note take serious note of is that the guys who went on the beach got bit by sand fleas... Yeah... Pretty nasty, but I still gave the hotel 4 stars so go figure.

• Stayed May 2011
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I visited this hotel in July 2011. To be honest, I was invited to go by a friend, so of course I accepted!! I had usually gone to all inclusives...so this would be quite different.
I had read many reviews about this hotel before I left. To be completely honest, alot of them had me quite concerned! I had this vision of it being "party central"...noisy, dirty etc.
To my surprise, and relief...I can really only say positive things about the actual resort itself. I found it very well maintained, both the actual hotel, and the grounds.
The pools were also clean, and nice and warm! The beach was decent, but somehow lacked the appeal of some of the beaches I have been to in Cuba for instance, where the water is a vibrant blue! Here it seemed somewhat murky...but very warm. The staff seemed very accomodating as well. Always a smile!
Perhaps the only negatives I can think of...and this is coming from someone who as said earlier, usually goes to the all-inclusives....is the price of the food and drinks in the resort. Definitely worth your while to venture on a 5 minute walk to the nearby Walgreens pharmacy and pick up some cold drinks, snacks etc.
We only ate at the hotel once..and that was the breakfast buffet on the very first morning..(as we had no other ideas at that point)....and that was $25 per person. Bit expensive for breakfast every morning...so we soon found a Denny's down the street, which wasn't nearly as fancy..but certainly satisfied us..and at a much cheaper price!
There are many steak houses along the main street, as well as other restaurants, and also a plethora of Wendys..Burger King...etc.
The Friday and Saturday evenings were very busy with the nightclubs in the lobby...quite entertaining just to sit there and watch all the people streaming in!
We were on the 5th floor of the main hotel..and apart from one middle-of-the-night fight in the hallway..we heard nothing else. I would suggest that you go at least the 5th floor and up!
There is quite a fun open air restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. In fact during our stay we had the most wicked thunder storms (never experienced tstorms like that before)..one so bad is caused a power outage...when we were dining there! That was almost fun! The hotel quickly had generators working son no panic..and the power came on a short while after.
In conclusion...apart from the price of eating and drinking there (which could be very well the norm in these types of places)...I loved this place...!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Both of my parents grew up in Puerto Rico and I grew up visiting San Juan every summer since I was 3. As a treat we would go to El San Juan hotel to experience the food, music, and entertainment. It was no surprise that my wish for my 30th birthday was to stay at El San Juan Hotel. We checked in and experience inconsistencies from the start. I received $100 credit but my parents weren't told about it. I was told continental breakfast was included and available every morning an my parents were not informed. When we went to the continental breakfast we were given a bill for $32.10 and when we asked why, the waitors told us the prices were taken off at check out. When we went to check out we had accumulated $400 worth of breakfast and told the continental was NOT included in our stay. My parents know where to get genuine Puerto Rican coffee and breakfast pastries for less than $5. We would never have paid $32.10 per person for coffee and toast. I felt extremely deceived and when I spoke to the Customer Rep downstairs, Osana, she was beyond rude and refused to hear me out. She even got an attitude with my fiance and I. I ended up speaking to the manager who offered us a $25 credit for a $400 bill. This hotel obviously doesn't have its employees well trained and fully informed of the processes. On top of that, they don't thoroughly explain your benefits or lack thereof. SAVE YOUR MONEY and stay at a guest house on the beach. We've done it for years and the experience is more honest, relaxing, and personalized.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at El San Juan, 4 days for a family reunion trip. We had an awesome time. The hotel is beautiful, specially the lobby area and the pools. Lobby bar is very elegant and pool area very inviting with nice day beds. The room looked it was remodeled with a contemporary design. I found the bed and pillows very comfortable. My room was cleaned and restocked every day. Staff was very nice and friendly. The only thing I found needs improvement is the building maintenance on the outside. If you look at the building from the beach or the street, it needs to be painted. This is such a beautiful hotel on the inside and I think that it should be kept the same on the outside. Overall I had a nice stay and wish I could return there very soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#3 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 1,094 reviews

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!