“Nice play to eat, dance, play and relax!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel

You added El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6063 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
“Nice play to eat, dance, play and relax!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

One of the more complete hotels in Isla Verde. THe hotel lobby is second to none and it has 3 different bars, live music and easy acces to stores, casino, restaurants and clubs. You can select between 2 night clubs, BRAVA which is nice for dancing trendy music and is always pack until 5 a.m. and D'Rose wich is more of an mature atmosphere where people 40+ usually go. The casino is one of the biggest I had ever seen and its staff is super friendly. I loved the pool area, it is HUGE. The restaurants where good specially Palm restaurant. Brother Jimmy's isn't that great. I preferred the baby back ribs from the Chijis across the street, same taste and less expensive. If you are traveling on a budget ask for a City Vista room, this rooms where remodeled recently and everything is new and modern. If you don't have breakfast included and want to save some extra bucks there's a Dennys walking distance. Last but not least try subscribing to Hilton Honnors, its free and they give you a separate line for check in so you can be in your room faster.

Room Tip: City Vista rooms are one of the least expensive and where recently remodeled.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

A crew of guys went down for a little guys weekend vacation. The club at the hotel is the life of the party throughout the week and especially on the weekends. Despite the HEAVY rain our entire trip, the pool area was still fun. The pool staff and bartenders where incredible and helped keep the party moving. I was in the main hotel and the rooms were simple and stylish (Miami beach lite) but my buddies were in a first floor cabana or casita and it was pretty crumby. There room was a little ways away from the action and seemed like a dark cave. All in all we had a great time, minus the lost money on the tables, and lack of sunshine... One thing note take serious note of is that the guys who went on the beach got bit by sand fleas... Yeah... Pretty nasty, but I still gave the hotel 4 stars so go figure.

• Stayed May 2011
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I visited this hotel in July 2011. To be honest, I was invited to go by a friend, so of course I accepted!! I had usually gone to all inclusives...so this would be quite different.
I had read many reviews about this hotel before I left. To be completely honest, alot of them had me quite concerned! I had this vision of it being "party central"...noisy, dirty etc.
To my surprise, and relief...I can really only say positive things about the actual resort itself. I found it very well maintained, both the actual hotel, and the grounds.
The pools were also clean, and nice and warm! The beach was decent, but somehow lacked the appeal of some of the beaches I have been to in Cuba for instance, where the water is a vibrant blue! Here it seemed somewhat murky...but very warm. The staff seemed very accomodating as well. Always a smile!
Perhaps the only negatives I can think of...and this is coming from someone who as said earlier, usually goes to the all-inclusives....is the price of the food and drinks in the resort. Definitely worth your while to venture on a 5 minute walk to the nearby Walgreens pharmacy and pick up some cold drinks, snacks etc.
We only ate at the hotel once..and that was the breakfast buffet on the very first morning..(as we had no other ideas at that point)....and that was $25 per person. Bit expensive for breakfast every morning...so we soon found a Denny's down the street, which wasn't nearly as fancy..but certainly satisfied us..and at a much cheaper price!
There are many steak houses along the main street, as well as other restaurants, and also a plethora of Wendys..Burger King...etc.
The Friday and Saturday evenings were very busy with the nightclubs in the lobby...quite entertaining just to sit there and watch all the people streaming in!
We were on the 5th floor of the main hotel..and apart from one middle-of-the-night fight in the hallway..we heard nothing else. I would suggest that you go at least the 5th floor and up!
There is quite a fun open air restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. In fact during our stay we had the most wicked thunder storms (never experienced tstorms like that before)..one so bad is caused a power outage...when we were dining there! That was almost fun! The hotel quickly had generators working son no panic..and the power came on a short while after.
In conclusion...apart from the price of eating and drinking there (which could be very well the norm in these types of places)...I loved this place...!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Both of my parents grew up in Puerto Rico and I grew up visiting San Juan every summer since I was 3. As a treat we would go to El San Juan hotel to experience the food, music, and entertainment. It was no surprise that my wish for my 30th birthday was to stay at El San Juan Hotel. We checked in and experience inconsistencies from the start. I received $100 credit but my parents weren't told about it. I was told continental breakfast was included and available every morning an my parents were not informed. When we went to the continental breakfast we were given a bill for $32.10 and when we asked why, the waitors told us the prices were taken off at check out. When we went to check out we had accumulated $400 worth of breakfast and told the continental was NOT included in our stay. My parents know where to get genuine Puerto Rican coffee and breakfast pastries for less than $5. We would never have paid $32.10 per person for coffee and toast. I felt extremely deceived and when I spoke to the Customer Rep downstairs, Osana, she was beyond rude and refused to hear me out. She even got an attitude with my fiance and I. I ended up speaking to the manager who offered us a $25 credit for a $400 bill. This hotel obviously doesn't have its employees well trained and fully informed of the processes. On top of that, they don't thoroughly explain your benefits or lack thereof. SAVE YOUR MONEY and stay at a guest house on the beach. We've done it for years and the experience is more honest, relaxing, and personalized.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at El San Juan, 4 days for a family reunion trip. We had an awesome time. The hotel is beautiful, specially the lobby area and the pools. Lobby bar is very elegant and pool area very inviting with nice day beds. The room looked it was remodeled with a contemporary design. I found the bed and pillows very comfortable. My room was cleaned and restocked every day. Staff was very nice and friendly. The only thing I found needs improvement is the building maintenance on the outside. If you look at the building from the beach or the street, it needs to be painted. This is such a beautiful hotel on the inside and I think that it should be kept the same on the outside. Overall I had a nice stay and wish I could return there very soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
boogie 79
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel was in absolute disarray from all of the repairs it was doing and the quality of the repairs/ changes to the entranceway, carpets, rooms, hallways and elevators was sub-par. The hotel management was condescending - actually arrogant and ignorant - and they clearly failed to understand the concept of service to others - we were made to feel that we were being honored by them simply acknowledging us. The restaurants, poolside and indoors, served food that was simply terrible - and that's by any and all standards - no real chef - then again, they had a Palm steakhouse (nothing like getting more points) and a place for ribs but NO BUSINESS CENTER. The spa was mediocre. Lastly, the casino lacked....bodies? Excitement? Stay anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

First and foremost, I have to say I was a little apprehensive about staying at this hotel after the mixed reviews I read on Trip Advisor, however we just returned from our stay and I am so glad we stayed there! It was a FABULOUS HOTEL with GREAT SERVICE.

The trip started so great from the get-go. Before we arrived, I emailed Susan Wilkenson, the hotel manager to ask about an early check in becasue our flight arrived at 10:45am. Once we arrived our room was ready for us and we checked-in immediately. Upon arrival we met our housekeeper Mireya and she was in one word - OUTSTANDING! She offered us a cooler and gave us some great tips on the area and fabulous places to eat. She was ALWAYS ready and willing to help out in any way she could. Mireya was great - the best customer service I have seen in a really long time and I have traveled all over the world!

Keith at the pool bar was also very good! He gave my fiance helpful hints on where to eat what to do, even where to propose! He even gave us a complimentary drink to congratulate us on our engagement!

The hotel was beautiful and kind of pricey but expected. We ate at the italian place in the hotel the night we got engaged and the food was absolutely spectacular! Definitely a must-go. We also ate at Jimmy's BBQ however I would say save your money and go elsewhere. It was $70 for two of us and we didn't even have any alcoholic drinks! It was no better than a Sonny's BBQ here in the states.

We did go off-site for quite a few meals - for breakfast, we definitely recommend Mi Casita on Isla Verde. You literally walk outside the hotel to the right and it's a 5 minute walk on your left. We ate there 3 times, very cheap and very delicious.

Our dinner at Ruth's Chris was one word - PHENOMENAL!!!! So great, pricey but so well worth it!

Stay away from Lupis to the left of the hotel. I thought it was gross but edible. The chili's across the street was good with prompt service.

We went to the Yunque (rain forest) which is a must-do, however rent a car for $45 at the hotel and see it yoursef! Its an hour drive but we were so glad we did it.

We also went into Old San Juan and were amazed at the history. We took a bus for 75 cents each way or you can take a taxi for $20 each way. If you take the bus take the 53 or T5. Also we ate at a wonderful place called Raisas (not sure of the spelling) and it was wonderful. They offer authetic puerto rican food and it was delicious. Very moderately priced and highly recommended.

A little tip, drinking every day at the hotel can be very expensive. There is a supermarket not far from the hotel called the Puebla and they have all the beer and liquor you could want and very cheap. Stock up and put it in a cooler - you can take it down to the beach!

Our last day we had a late flight and the hotel was great!! We got a late check out of 1pm and they held our bags while we went and enjoyed the pool and cocktails for a few more hours!!

I hope this review helps, I am not sure what everyone is talking about when they say the hotel is loud and service is poor. We had an outstanding stay and experienced excellent service. I will return and tell all my friends about it too!

Thanks Susan, Keith, and Mireya for make our stay memeorable. We hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: email Susan Wilkenson
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Thank you for selecting the El San Juan as your vacation destination recently, and for taking the time to share your experience at the resort, and the special mention of some of our "Stars"
The El San Juan has many alluring amenities to offer, and a great staff that enjoy welcoming our guests to their "home away from home" We appreciate contacting us prior to your arrival so that we can offer any assistance in making your stay as memorable as possible!
Thank you again, we look forward to your return visit!

susan.wilkerson@hilton.com
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#3 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 1,084 reviews

Been to El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!