“All the Basics, But Just Barely” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan

You added Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4820 Isla Verde Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Falls Church, Virginia
“All the Basics, But Just Barely”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

The bed was fine and the room was clean, but the air conditioner was stuck on the highest setting, the washcloth was missing, and the internet was criminally bad. Despite having four different networks, I couldn't sign on.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Carmen M, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear Joseph J,

On behalf of the entire team at Howard Johnson, Carolina thank you for taking the time to tell us about your overall experience during your visit. We are pleased that you enjoy the bed and the cleanlinnes of the room. However we apologize for what we fell short. I can assure you that this was an isolated incident and has been resolved.
Please give us another opportunity to make things right by you I guarantee you will receive a Perfect 10 service. I look foward to hearing from you soon.

Carmen Maldonado- Hotel Manager
cmaldonado@empresassantana.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed with 3 friends at this Howard Johnson. We had two rooms on the second floor. The lobby area was very clean and the staff was very friendly and let us check in very early. One of our rooms was facing the main road in front of the hotel and had a moderate noise level. The other one had no outside windows at all. The windows were facing toward the lobby area which was two stories high (so no one could look in the room). But that was okay, although the room was quite dark. The beds were comfortable, the room itself was very clean, my only complain is the bathroom. It was one of the smallest I have ever seen and the bathtub had chipped enamel after every shower and loose/broken tiles. But everything was cleaned thoroughly every day. Breakfast was served on the top floor with a nice view. They served cereals, muffins, toast, danish, fresh fruits, coffee and juice. The location is very good. The beach is across the street. It is patroled by police regularly. You have several restaurants within walking distance (both local food and chains such as Burger King, Wendy's, Ponderosa, Pizza Hut, etc.). The bus stop is across the street if you want to go to downtown San Juan (0,75 $), which takes about 35 minutes. We rented a car down the street. Parking is available behind the motel for about 6,50 $ a day (that was cheap!!!). If you take your own car to drive downtown it only takes about 10 minutes. To the airport it is about 7 minutes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Dear Voyager2190,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you were pleased with our hotel location, lobby area and breakfast in general. However we are sincerely apologetic for the area where we fell short. Once we are aware of any dissatisfaction we make every effort to resolve the problem immediately or make amends. We will continue to improve and make every effort to ensure your complete satisfaction. We hope that in the future you decide to stay with us again in an effort to provide you with a perfect stay.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I have stayed here before on my way home as it is very close to the San Juan Airport, this time my husband and I stayed here, and the place has a great location and a great friendly staff.
We had a problem with the thermostat at the room, and inmediately the manager Carmen
Maldonado and the a/c maintenance man came to our room, and we were moved right away by
a member of their staff to another room, in fact it, was an upgrade, a very nice suite. They also have a daily continental breakfast at the penthouse overlooking the ocean and Isla Verde, and parking for your rental car/It was again a great experience to be a guest at this hotel, thanks to Carment and all the staff at the hotel/
Rose T (Los Angeles,CA)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmen M, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Dear Rose T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Howard Johnson, Carolina. Your kind comments about the service provided by our staff members and myself are truly appreciated. We are commiteed to provide excellent costumer service and this letter make us confident that we are achiving our goal!

It was a pleasure meeting you and your husband. Come back soon; We will be waiting for you. We love having you here!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here. Coming from Canada and having stayed at a "3 star" hotels in Toronto, Im suprised at the quality of HOJO Isla verde. Everyone was very friendly and was able to assist in recommending different tourist activities. I met someone in PR who stayed at the Verdanza and she said my hotel was a lot nicer than hers. For the price you get a nice big bed, clean room, decent washroom, a safe, nice furniture, and AC pumping! I wasnt a fan of the AC, but you can control the temp. The beach is literally 15-20 strides from the front door and the airport is 5mins in a cab! Continental breakfast was available; nothing special. What do you expect? Youre in PR go get some "comida criole!" My only beefs with this place was that my card needed to be reactivated at least twice a day and the "gym" was pretty small and none of the equipment really worked. Ive decided to head back to PR in MAY and will most likely stay here again as Im more familiar with the area and how to get around from this HOJO. So simple!

Room Tip: Choose the standard room. Im not sure what people are talking about with regards to pink tubs but I...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Carmen M, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear ELTONYToronto,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our hotel. We are pleased that you choose Howard Johnson, Isla Verde and that you were satisfied with our friendly staff, cleanliness of the room and hotel location. However, we are apologetic for the inconvenience with the roon keys and gym equipment and are pleased that this will not deter you from staying with us in the future. We will continue to improve and make every effort to ensure that all our guests have a great stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. We love having you here!

Best regards,
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This place has a great location: not too far from the airport and across the street from the beach. It is also a great value for the price, which also includes a free continental breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Gilbert G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience with us and for your continue loyalty. I look foward to being of service in the near future and greet you in person. We love having you here!

Carmen Maldonado -Hotel Manager
Athens, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Flashback to 1970!!! Traveled to Puerto Rico on business last week and needed to spend one night in a hotel in San Juan close to the airport. Sure, it was cheap, but you get what you pay for. Upon entering the lobby the stench was overwhelming...maybe the hotel was experiencing sewer problems? I don't know, but my co-worker and I both gagged. The ladies at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful, really the brightest spot in the hotel experience. Check-in was easy and quick. Onto the room---I think the Brady Bunch probably stayed in this hotel at some point. Brown, harvest gold, and orange!! Are you serious? The bedspread and matching curtains were nylon. The carpet was worn and frayed. The bathroom was by far the most dated part of the room. There was a bottle opener on the back of the bathroom door! My colleague is younger then me and didn't even know what it was when I asked him if he had seen it. The glaze in the tub was worn off where one would stand to take a shower, and that was all one would be doing because the handle on the drain was MISSING! To avoid re-glazing the tub a rubber bath mat had been placed over the area. I watched paint chips float around my feet while I was in the shower, as the drain in the tub was very, very slow. No washcloths and no hand towels. I would add that the room was clean and smelled okay. The bed was comfortable and the A/C worked well. If you are looking for a cheap hotel close to the airport this is your place. I personally would never stay here again and I certainly will not listen to the guy that 'recommended' this hotel again!

Room Tip: Don't go to start with!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear GeOrgiaMom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased that you decided to choose our hotel and that you were satisfied with the service, comfortable bed and price. At the same time we are sincerely apologetic for your dissatisfaction with the room decor and look in general.
Your letter have been discussed in our strategic planning meeting and we are making all efforts to resolve make amends.

Camen Maldonado - Hotel Manager
Payson, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

This hotel was like a scary movie that had come to life. The toilet and bathtub were pinkish brown...very old and not well maintained. The were long black hairs on the wall, tub and floor. The shower didn't drain so the water was up to your mid-calf by the time you took a shower. The customer service was a joke, on the counter in the bathroom was a sign that said, Oops, forgot something, just call us and we can help. Well, we needed a toothbrush and so we called and asked if they had a toothbrush and they just said "no" like we were crazy. Then we asked if they had a razor and they person said, "where the hell is your stuff"! My son just kinda laughed and then explained that the sign said you could get this stuff if you need it. I had read the reviews on tripadvisor before I booked the hotel, and they all seemed pretty good. Now I just think the bad ones get pulled.

Room Tip: Get a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Carmen M, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Dear Annie571,

I want to take a moment to apologize for your recent experience at our hotel. I can assure you that comments like yours are unexpected for us and we are surprised and embarrassed to know that we did not meet your expectations. Our hotel goal is to go above and beyond to for every guest so that they are happy with their experience. Please, if you have a moment, I would like to discuss your experience in the further detail.

I do hope that in the future you choose our hotel again. We would love another chance to deliver a perfect experience! I look foward to speaking with you very soon.

787-728-1300 Ext. 2003

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel Carolina/San Juan? Share your experiences!