“Great Stay in Isla Verde!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino

You added Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8000 Tartak St., Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$100 Credit And Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Rye Brook, New York
“Great Stay in Isla Verde!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and two teenage daughters (16, 18) spent 5 days visiting Puerto Rico March 25-30. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. Everyone working at the hotel, especially Marisol, the general manager, was accommodating, courteous and helpful. On the advice of other reviewers, we requested a room on a high floor, away from the elevator. Our room was clean. The breakfast buffet was great, as was the manager's reception in the evening. The hotel was very full because of Spring Break, but the hotel managed the crowds. The concierge was also very helpful, connecting us with an excellent private driver for a trip to the rainforest and Luquillo beach (Guillermo Peterson, 787-349-7676, gpeterson7119@gmail.com). From the Embassy Suites, we were able to walk to the Pueblo supermarket, which was just around the corner, as well as many restaurants.

Room Tip: High floor, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hello LLN48:

Thank you for staying with us! We are delighted to hear that you had a great time during your stay with us and that you found our team members to be helpful.

Please contact me or Marisol if you need assistance with your reservations in the future. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
North Augusta, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was my third stay at Embassy Suites, Isla Verde, over the past 5 years, my recent trip being a business trip for 12 days. Positives and negatives: Lots of tourists/spring breakers, but that is to be expected in March. Very long lines at the evening drink reception, but when your not paying extra for the drinks, hard to beat (Bartenders were courteous and quick). The Outback in the lobby is very popular with the locals, and the small casino is also nice, with live music on Friday and Saturday nights. The other hotel restaraunt is great, had dinner there several times, great food and decent prices. Although breakfast did not start until 6:30am, they routinely had food ready to serve, which allowed us to eat before heading off to work! The beach is about a 2 block walk, although not the greatest beach in Puerto Rico, it's still a beach, and beautiful (eat at the El Alambique at the beach, great burgers and rum punch!). Pool area is nice, although you can continuously hear planes at the airport, but the ambiance of the pool, waterfalls, outside bar and music make you forget about the outside world. The information desk for excursions, days trips, etc. is located in the lobby and was very helpful. Yes, the hotel has a little age on it, but still a great place as most Embassy Suites are, and I would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool, higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear BAFinnerty:

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our Manager's Reception and our facilities. Please come back soon!

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Whenever I travel, I usually try to stay at Embassy Suites. I typically enjoy the extras they provide (breakfast, manager happy hour). However, I was disappointed with my stay.

Pros: 1 block from the famed 'Isla Verde' this hotel puts you in the atmosphere and in the heart of Isla Verde. No the property does not sit on the beach, however the hotel does provide beach chairs free of charge to guests. The beach is excellent! The hotel casino was one of the cleanest casinos I've visited on the island. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the staff at this Embassy Suites was EXTREMELY PROFESSIONAL and knew the area very well and provided their personal suggestions of places to visit or eat. I was very satisfied on that aspect.

Cons: This hotel needs to be updated! Compared to other hotels in the area, which I did visit, this place lacked the luxury and comfort that others provided. The furniture in my room on the Hilton Honors floor 7 was old and sagged. The sheets on the pull-out bed were not changed from previous guests. I'm not usually picky, however when I pay good money and I am on vacation, I expect to not have to find the 'little things'. The carpet was old and wrinkled and my 7th floor view was hindered because of the buildup of moisture in the double-paned window.

One amenity that was nice was the pool, however an employee who was supposed to check to see if you were a guest was allowing his friends and family come in without the proper credentials. Because of this there were limited chairs and children were EVERYWHERE!!! This was not what I was expecting.

Overall, you are looking for an extended stay in Isla Verde, look at other resorts! For the price, you can find something on the beach and more comfortable. Spring Breakers were on hand for March.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear CondeMatt:

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was happy to read from your review that you found our hotel to be conveniently located and that our staff was professional and knowledgeable.

However, I was disappointed that you went through some inconveniences while staying with us. I understand that you found our property to be somewhat dated and in need of renovations. I truly regret if you were disappointed in any way and sincerely apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We strive on providing our guests with an exceptional stay and I apologize if we did not deliver this for you.

Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property.

Again, I thank you for your review and assure you that your feedback has been taken into consideration. I sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us next time you’re in town.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Three of us spent 6 nights here on our trip to Puerto Rico and we were pleased with our overall stay. The service was excellent and the hotel was clean and updated. A list of pros & cons - Pros:
1- The service was excellent! We experienced friendly, helpful attitudes from all of the staff, including front desk, valet, housekeeping, etc. Although we had to wait a couple hours to check-in (this seems common as many travelers arrive around noon), they gave us a pool key and some recommendations for activities/food in the area. Thanks.
2-The breakfast was large and had many options, and overall, they move the line through very quickly on the "cooked-to-order" items. They run an efficient breakfast that can accommodate many people. I loved going to breakfast here. Always something new to eat every morning and the area was always clean and well maintained. The evening service was also nice for a snack and drink, but not much more. Expect chips and popcorn. There are also on-site restaurants, including Outback Steakhouse, although we didn't eat at any of them. There are lots of options on the main street through Isla Verde just one block away.
3- The location of the hotel is great if you use it as a home-base to explore the island. The hotel is close to the freeway and 15 minutes to Old San Juan. We usually took a taxi to Old San Juan for $21 round trip, which was available in the front of the hotel; however, a couple of days we took the T5 bus, for $.75. Make sure you have exact change as the driver will not accept dollar bills! The bus ride was 30 minutes and took us right into Old San Juan. The bus stop was one block away. This was a very nice option and much cheaper; however, the buses sometimes run at their own schedule and may not show up for an hour or so. If you wait too long, plenty of taxis will drive by and offer you a ride. We also rented a car from the Dollar location across the street which was SO convenient! We also parked the car at the hotel next door and it was much cheaper.
4- Nice pool area, but it can get busy!
5- The rooms were very clean and the beds were wonderful. It's always nice having a separate "living" area away from the bedrooms. And the mini fridge and microwave is great to have for leftovers from a restaurant or for a grocery run.
Cons:
1- Although close to the beach, this hotel is not on the beach (about 2 blocks away). It's a nice, fun walk, but obviously we would have loved to be on the beach. For the value though, this was a great choice.
2- The rooms can get loud from the noise of the lobby.
3- The internet service is a bit spotty and the service was poor in the bedroom.
Overall, few cons. We loved this hotel and we saved a ton of money in food by having a huge breakfast each morning. Again, it was also nice to save some money by taking the T5 bus route into Old San Juan. This was a good stay! Nice hotel!

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room in the corner, away from the atrium for less noise. The rooms near the el...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This property has many good points and a few not-so-good points.

Complimentary breakfast-
Pros: They offer a full cook-to-order breakfast including omelets, pancakes and eggs.
Cons: None

Happy hour -

Pros: They offer light snacks (popcorn, chips & salsa, hummus) along with an open bar. 2 drinks per person at a time. Some top shelf alcohol.
Cons: Lines can become long and finding a table may be difficult.

The pool -

Pro: Very nice. Not huge but never felt crowded. The water is kept clean and the area is well maintained.
Con: I've stayed at a fair share of hotels/resorts and this is the first time I was asked to sign out towels at the pool. Not a big deal just strange and a slight inconvenience.
It rained one morning and instead of the pool staff drying the lounge chairs the stood around talking to each other.

The Casino-

Pros: Clean and spacious. Nothing compared to Vegas but had a nice variety of machines from .01¢ to $10.
Cons: The wait staff is almost non-existent. The only service we received in 4 days was from a slot attendant after I ask for a server and he did not know where she was. He retrieved me a coffee & a bottle of water.

The suite -

Pros: We had a 2 room with a king facing the pool (415). Room was clean and the maid service was outstanding. She even made us a towel monkey one night.
Cons: The carpet was old, wallpaper peeling in the bathroom from poor ventilation and the mattered on the pull out sofa was paper-thin. We requested a replacement mattress and received that quickly.

Location -

Pros: The hotel is a quick 5-minute ride from the airport. If you are planning on going to Old San Juan you can take a cab for $21 or hop on the bus for .75¢. The bus stop is a block away from the hotel and will drop you off downtown Old San Juan. The beach is a 3 block walk. Walgreens is 3 blocks away and a fair share of local restaurants.
Cons: None

Beach-

Pros: The beach is a short 3-block walk from the hotel and has an attendant. The first day we arrived at 10am and the attendant set up the beach chairs and umbrella for us and supplied towels.
Cons: There is no place on the beach to purchase food or drinks. No bathroom facilities either. We were instructed to use the bathroom at another hotel (San Juan Beach & Water Club). We purchased a cooler from Walgreens (a block from the beach) and brought our own beverages and snacks. The following day we arrived at the beach at 11am and no beach chairs were available. Apparently there is a limited supply so get there early.

On a side note: If you are looking for a hotel on the beach I would recommend San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel. Their beach area is directly in front of the their hotel and next to the Embassy Suites beach area. They have a server that will bring you food and drinks. They also gave their guest complementary fruit in the afternoon and complementary ice cream in the evening. I thought that was a nice touch.

Bottom line- For the price we paid and the amenities we received I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear born2bowl2:

On behalf of the management and staff we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. At the same time we are disappointed to learn of your mixed feelings, as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, which is our brand promise. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I went with my family for Easter weekend parking far away and therefore uncomfortable for our misfortune happened raining And I think they should be prepared for rainy days have amenities and activities inside Another life already at 10 : 00pm Where better environment is getting on the end of it and there is nothing to do Very pics variety of shops in the lobby cleaning give 10 Happy hour 10 On March 1st amenities and distraction

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Ivmoberm:

We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our resort. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. Please be assured that your review will be taken into consideration so that we may improve our guests’ in-property experience.

We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you anticipated.

Again, thank you very much for your review and we sincerely hope that you will provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.

Bellevue, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We checked into this property on Monday, March 25th and just checked out this morning. We really enjoyed our stay and I would certainly return. I travelled with my three daughters, my mother, and my aunt.

I'll start with the downside, in my opinion, as the list is short. I agree with everyone that the rooms need to be updated. They were certainly clean and comfortable, but they are in serious need of an update. The bathtub was chipped up and my girls would not take a bath in it. My next complaint is that the pool is entirely too cold! It was unbearable to get in there. I know many people will say that you go to Puerto Rico for the beach, but when it gets dark, my children aren't swimming at the beach. The pool area is gorgeous and it's a shame that we couldn't enjoy it more.

The staff was incredibly kind to us the entire stay. Jorge checked us in and was friendly and smiling although there was a long line of impatient people, myself included, waiting to check in. I reserved a 2bd/2bath suite and he informed me that only a smoking suite was available to which I declined. The manager on duty, Jose Adrovet, came over and resolved the issue. We ended up with two separate suites almost next to one another. He personally walked me up to the rooms to ensure they were close enough for us and that we would be happy. That was excellent service and both gentlemen were polite and friendly the entire time.

The happy hour was a great feature, but I wish they would switch up the snacks on certain nights. I got tired of popcorn and the nacho chips. I DID NOT get tired of the drinks however! It was nice to be able to socialize with other guests during that time as everyone comes down for their drinks.

Breakfast was wonderful. The lady at the omelette station needs a medal or something. She had like eight omelettes going at once and never messed up. She was cool and calm the entire time and made good food. I didn't catch her name, but someone please tell her she is wonderful. She was gone one morning and I was genuinely upset! The manager that controls the line was also great and kept calm during the hectic rush. All the staff in the morning did a great job of keeping the area clean and were all friendly.

I tried El Patio for lunch one day and the food was really yummy. Their mojito was pretty good as well. My aunt played in the casino and said it was a nice bonus to have it on site. My girls ate at the little cafe place ad they thoghtit was good.

There is a concierge on site and the young lady at the desk was helpful and answered many of my questions.

The beach was clean and beautiful. The hotel has an area where they provide towels and chairs. The young man set everything up for us very quickly and in the spot we requested. We had a blast at the beach and were sad to leave.

Just some tips: Hotel is very cose to the airport, took maybe 10 minutes to get there. If you want to got to Old San Juan on the city bus, get on at the stop in front of the Ponderosa. It was $0.75 and you need exact change. You can take route T5 or T53 to get there. Same applies coming back. Just be aware that the bus can become extremely crowded. We enjoyed riding and hanging with the locals. Billiards Pizza on the main road, across from Chillis, up the steps was UNBELIEVABLE! We literally went every evening, even after already having dinner. This place was ridiculously good.

Room Tip: High floor on the front of the hotel. One of our rooms, 634, had some peek a boo views of the ocean...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!