“Overall great location, but avoid staying on the 2nd floor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino

You added Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8000 Tartak St., Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$129 Rates & 5000 Points
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Arlington, Virginia
“Overall great location, but avoid staying on the 2nd floor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day, 4 night stay at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. The property is great, good location, 5 minute walk to the beach, free breakfast, 2 hour cocktail hour every night, it was just great! However, its really loud, my girlfriends and I are loud people so it has to be loud for us to have a problem with it!

I don't know if it was because we were staying right above one of the ballrooms or right by the elevator on the 2nd floor but we could hear EVERYTHING!

Just make sure to ask to stay away from the atrium and elevators and you should be fine. The room was clean and decent, nothing luxurious but spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde for five nights, from 1/10/13-1/15/13. There were many aspects of this hotel that we enjoyed. The breakfast buffet was excellent. You can either have made-to-order omelettes, or choose from the buffet section. The Manager's Cocktail reception (free drinks &chips/salsa) became an evening tradition. The Embassy Suites' lobby and atrium is very large and grandiose, very clean, and a pleasure to be in. There is an Outback Steakhouse within the lobby, which we ate at twice; it was very good. Of course, there is a casino which was inviting and well-maintained. Lastly, the hotel is only about 10 minutes from the beach and there is a section (look for Embassy Suites flags on the left) that gives free towels, chairs and umbrellas that we used to sit on the beach.
The main downside for my family and I, and the reason I only gave them three stars, has to do with the outdoor pool. The pool itself is beautiful and large. The pool area is very clean and there are tons of lounge chairs. However, I knew something was off when I realized that NO ONE was swimming in their large pool on a sunny 85 degree afternoon. I put my feet in the water and found the pool to be FREEZING! Despite my body being hot from the warm and humid air temperature, the pool was simply at a temperature that made swimming, or just taking a dip, unpleasant. The facial expressions of other guests who attempted to take a swim were all the same; shock at the ice-cold temperature. I have to say that this situation was very strange because usually pools in the Caribbean are warm despite not being heated pools. For example, I was able to access the pool at the El San Juan Hotel and found the temperature to be much warmer than the Embassy Suites pool, even though the El San Juan pool is not heated.

Anyway, my family was very disappointed by this situation, as we love swimming. Of course, there are tons of things to do in Puerto Rico besides swimming; the beach, visiting Old San Juan, touring El Yunque, ect. However, since we only stayed for five nights we were looking to enjoy a relaxing swim. We could not do this at the Embassy Suites.

Overall, we did enjoy our vacation in San Juan. We appreciated the perks of the this hotel, and the Isla Verde area in general. Should Embassy Suites remedy the pool situation, we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear langner85:

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. I was very happy to read from you review that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and that you found our lobby to be clean and a pleasure to be in. Our main priority is for our guests to experience a welcoming and comfortable stay with us. I do however understand that you were inconvenienced the pool temperature. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that I have taken your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you for your review and if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night right before New Year's Eve. The hotel was solidly booked. Our family of 4 had asked for a room with two doubles, but we were told those rooms were already booked. We were given a room with a King in the bedroom and a sleep sofa that slept 2. The room was on the Hilton Honors floor. The first thing we noticed when we entered was how cold it was in the room, and how the sofa bed had no pillows or quilt. We called down to the main lobby several times and after a few hours (not exaggerating) finally received some pillows. We were initially told that with the hotel being sold out they could not get us extra pillows and they definitely could not give us a quilt.
When we lowered the a/c the room smelled like mold. It was so bad, that we had to raise the a/c to avoid that smell, which made us cold. So we were constantly, raising and lowering the a/c.
The bathroom had lights that when initially were turned on were extremely low wattage. After a minute or so, they would increase and the room would brighten up. It was rather odd, but maybe some idea someone had to save $$$, and/or to allow someone waking up at night to slowly adjust to light. The bathroom was clean, and neat otherwise. We also had to ask for extra towels, and received those when we received the pillows.
The king bed was great in terms of comfort, whereas the sofabed was just okay. It wasn't lumpy, but we have had better.
The swimming pool in back was monitored to be sure only guests were staying there. The water was cold, but the pool was gorgeous, and the area relaxing.
Behind the hotel is a grocery store (not noticeable from the hotel). You would have to ask for directions. The grocery store is large, and is opened 24 hours. We went there to purchase some medicine for our son who had come down with a bad cold. They sold everything there, including fresh baked goods, and freshly cooked meals.
From the hotel you can walk to the beach. We didn't get to do this, but we did walk to El San Juan hotel, which has a Starbucks and other little shops, as wells as some expensive restaurants. Further away from the hotel is a Walgreens Pharmacy. There is a plaza down the street from the Hotel with some small restaurants, but the place we ate in was super salty and would not recommend because of that. There are restaurants in the hotel itself, and we ate in one which gave us a rather good meal.
The hotel offered nacho chips and salsa during happy hour. You got two drinks free a person. The next morning we had a breakfast buffet. Lines were long, but moved quickly. Breakfast included eggs, any way you wanted them, PR donuts, bacon, sausage, drinks, etc.
With all the other hotels in San Juan, I'm not sure that I would stay here again due to the lack of shopping around, but mostly because of the moldy smell in the room. (When we arrived home, our clothes smelled.) I like the Condado section of San Juan with all the shops around, and if you are taking a cruise, you may want to consider the Sheraton in Old San Juan or El Convento. I haven't stayed in either of those, but they are close to the port. I think, however, that my next trip to Puerto Rico will include a stay at the Ponce Hilton. I can't wait to go back there!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear 4okay:

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if you if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.

Again, I thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us next time you’re in town.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just returned from a five day trip and once again the Embassy Suites served as a base of operations. You can't beat the fully cooked breakfast or the managers reception in the evening. He only downside is the outdoor pool is maintained at just above freezing. Maybe if they let it warm a little more folks will stay than walk to the beach. The ES is located within walking distances for many good resturants and a quick cab to others in Candado. Everyone needs to make the Metropol resturant at least one night for great local food. Tijuana for Mexican in Candado is another must. Having a living room in each room allows some good down time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I love this hotel. It is nothing super fancy, but very good at giving you everything you need and more. The included Breakfast is great. The manager reception with free drinks from 5:30 to 7:30 is an unbeatable value. the pool area is great and not over crowded, even though it is a bit small, they do a great job with the space. The casino is the best we've played in PR, but also on the small side, but that means the free bar service is much better. Our room was very roomy and nice.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor facing the ocean and even though it was 2 blocks to the ocean, you can stil...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I always stay at Embassy Suites Isla Verde when we go to Puerto Rico. This was our 4th stay at Embassy. Usually, we are pretty satisfied with our stay. This time, there were a few things to be desired. #1 - There was a university swimming competition going on at the time we stayed. These kids acted like a bunch of animals!! During breakfast time, they took up all of the chairs and tables, the lines to eat were ridiculous (there was even a point in which they ran out of eggs and hot cereal) and alot of them were walking around with inappropriate attire. Embassy should have made some type of organization arrangements so that the regular hotel guests were not inconvenienced. #2 - Closet in our room and the shower curtain smelled pretty funky, some dishes were left in the room. #3 - Outback. We called one night for in suite delivery (which they do provide) and we were told that they were too busy. What!! Are you serious?? #4 - looking at these reviews - we never knew that Embassy had chairs & towels at the beach. What's up with that!! We got jacked 4 times on this one!! I guess now we know.

Obviously, we keep coming back to Embassy because we have had really good experiences here. Just this time not so much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Jasmine R: First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I was extremely disappointed to read from your review that you had some issues at our hotel. I especially apologize in regards to the noise and routines you encountered during your stay. I very much regret that this rowdy behavior was disruptive to you and apologize that you're comfort was interrupted by other guests. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guest to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues are corrected. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind.

New Port Richey, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed 2 nights pre-cruise on points Nov. 2 & 3, 2012. Beautiful lobby/atrium. The best part was breakfast -- much better than any other free breakfast I can remember, and much better than Celebrity Cruiseline buffet. Room could have used some sprucing up. We were afraid the mirrored closet doors would fall on us so did not use it. Bad news for smokers -- totally smoke-free property except for two benches in a small area out front (covered). Get your free evening cocktails early as there were long lines on weekends. Easy walk to beach, good restaurants, and a grocery store. Casino slots are not loose. On-property Outback restaurant was very good. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!