“Overall, Above Average” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino

Save Saved
You added Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8000 Tartak St., Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $99
Ranked #6 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
New Port Richey, Florida
“Overall, Above Average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed 2 nights pre-cruise on points Nov. 2 & 3, 2012. Beautiful lobby/atrium. The best part was breakfast -- much better than any other free breakfast I can remember, and much better than Celebrity Cruiseline buffet. Room could have used some sprucing up. We were afraid the mirrored closet doors would fall on us so did not use it. Bad news for smokers -- totally smoke-free property except for two benches in a small area out front (covered). Get your free evening cocktails early as there were long lines on weekends. Easy walk to beach, good restaurants, and a grocery store. Casino slots are not loose. On-property Outback restaurant was very good. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

1,161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We waited until the last minute to take a trip to San Juan for the New Years so we were limited in what we could get in our price.

Pros:
*Very close to the airport.
*"Free" breakfast which consists of two cooks making omlets and the usual breakfast stuff.
*Happy Hour
*Umbrellas and chairs at the beach.
*Walking distance to fast food and local resturants.
*Housekeeping was pretty cool.

Cons:
*Room was extra stuff. Since the windows don't open and the bathroom didn't have a fan it could get really humid/sticky in them.
*Front Desk, Bellmen and Concierge were't the friendliest of staff. I always felt like I was putting them out if I asked for anything. Even got an eye roll from the concierge because I asked for an address to a resturant.
*Beach is about three blocks a and don't count on getting an umbrella, towels, or chairs. One family had five umbrellas to themselves. When I called from my cell phone to let the front desk know they were out of towels at the beach the person was a tad too rude and abrupt for me.
*The pool toys and floats were a serious joke. The few things they had were old, leaked air and were just ugh. Ended up going to Walgreens (across the street) and getting toys for my daughter.

Summary:
I can't say that I would pay to go back. I've been better, I've seen worse. For the price we paid (16% "resort" fee), I wasn't too thrilled.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear SydsMommie:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I was very happy to read from your review that you found our hotel to be conveniently located to restaurants as well as the airport and you enjoyed our breakfast and happy hour. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome and comfortable stay.

I do however understand from your review that you were not completely satisfied with our some aspects of our hotel including our staff customer attention. Please know that our main priority is for all our guests to feel welcome and well attended and I can assure you that your feedback will be taken into consideration to improve our on-property experience.

Again I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

buffalo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed 3 nights before Christmas at this hotel with our 2 teenagers. It is a typical Embassy suites, rooms overlooking the atrium, glass elevators running up and down, manager's special in the evenings,etc. The location was few blocks away from the beach and right behind the highway. There's an Outback restaurant on the premises in addition to another small eatery. There's a gym and an outdoor pool as well. The hotel was full and breakfast lines were very long in the mornings. Happy hour in the evenings were chips, salsa and mixed rum drinks. We wanted to be close to the old city in San Juan, that's why we chose to stay there. The rooms smelled musty, but they were clean. We would not stay there again, since there's nothing special about it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear mindoslu:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we truly appreciate your feedback.

We hope you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to Puerto Rico.

Boone Nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Best place to be for Ny eve, the design of the hotel allows you to watch all the parties from any floor. We enjoyed it. It was busy with swim teams, but not really any problems -except for busy breakfast. Puerto Ricans do not get in any hurry. They were slow to replenish food and slow at making omelets, but we were on vacation so it didn't worry us. The staff was nice...only one "issue". We came into our room, door SHUT, with the housekeeper holding some casino chips my husband accidentally left on a side table and she immediately said " these for me?" My husband was stunned and shook his head and she got a $15 tip out of it!
Not sure if that is her game, or would she have taken them if we had not entered the room. Just beware of that sort of thing.
Put everything away.......convenient to beach. $20 taxi to old town and $16 to airport (4 of us). I would stay again. I enjoyed the managers reception, the pool is nice, Outback Steakhouse in lobby, overall a pleasant stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello byahmyers:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our New Year's eve celebration!

We hope to welcome you back during your next trip to Puerto Rico!

Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Embassy Suites for 6 nights (26 Dec 12 - 1 Jan 13) and had a great time. This hotel is very convenient to the airport, and only a 15 minute drive to Old San Juan.
During our entire stay the staff, from the front desk, to housekeeping, the wait staff in the atrium at breakfast and during the nightly manager's reception, and the pool staff, were all very friendly and helpful.
We arrived about 1:30 pm and were able to get immediately into our rooms. We had adjoining rooms, one with a king bed and the other with 2 doubles. Our sons slept in the room with the doubles and our 9-year old daughter slept on the pull-out couch in our room.
The pool is incredible and there is an adjacent hot tub. There is also a separate kiddie pool and play area for small children. Towels are provided near the pool and there are also bathrooms and an outdoor bar (open 11:30 am - 5:30 pm) with a pool table.
The beach is about two blocks away, but the Embassy Suites area is another block down the beach. In total about a 10-15 minute walk at most. Towels, chairs and umbrellas are provided for free at the beach area. The beach is very nice and there are a couple of bars across the street that sell food and drinks. We were also approached by the wait staff from one of the beachfront hotels who we ordered food and drinks from, and were delivered to us at our chairs. The food was very reasonably priced; fortunately I had cash because you obviously can't charge to your room.
The free breakfast was great and was served buffet style. There is an egg station to order eggs to order and omelettes. The buffet contained scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, fresh fruit, oatmeal, and cereal. Drinks, toast, bagels and pastries were available in a separate area by the tables. My recommendation is to get to breakfast as early as possible because it gets very crowded before the line closes.
The 2-hour manager reception each evening provided a great opportunity to get some free drinks before dinner. Lines can be long at times, but we never waited more than 5-10 minutes and the bartenders would give you two drinks. The hotel also provided chips and salsa in addition to the free drinks.
There is an Outback Steakhouse, which is just like the ones in the States, with comparable prices and service. There is also a bar in the lobby (El Patio) that serves food. We had lunch there on one occasion and drinks on another. The bartender was very personable and she made a great recommendation for a restaurant to try in Old San Juan (El Jibarito).
We used the laundry facility to wash clothes, $3 to wash and $3 to dry. Quarters can be obtained from the game room change machine or the nearby La Placita, which sells drinks, pizza, hot dogs, deserts, and also sells some beach items (hats, sunscreen, bathing suits) as well hygiene products. The prices at La Placita for sunscreen and hats (which we forgot to bring with us) were actually better than those at the Walgreens located near the beach. I would highly recommend the Pueblo grocery store that is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel (to the left when you leave the hotel) for anything that you may have forgotten or need to stock the refrigerator in your room. It is a full-service grocery store and there is a great Japanese restaurant (Ikebana Sushi), a dry cleaners/laundry, and a US Post Office located on the 2nd floor just above the grocery.
I would highly recommend the Embassy Suites for anyone traveling to San Juan.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms, in the corner of the 8th floor, overlooking the pool. I would recommend a higher fl...
Dear 85USNA:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for your positive comments! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our team members to be friendly and helpful, we are very proud of our them.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future, come back soon!

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I chose this hotel because we were getting into the airport late and I wanted to get to the hotel quickly and spend our first day on the beach. Also we had 5 people so we needed a suite.
We actually got lost trying to find the hotel in the dark and our iphone led us astray. What should have been 10 minutes was closer to 40 - still have no idea where to turn for hotel. I called the hotel and they helped me find it.
This is just like other Embassy Suites in terms of the design, free breakfast, and cocktails. The major difference was a spectacular pool area and a small casino. We really enjoyed all the amenities. Also there is a beach service (chairs, towels, umbrellas) - oddly I didn't see it advertised at hotel. We walked 2 blocks and were on a very nice beach. We had a great morning at the beach and the afternoon at the pool. My daughter was intrigued with the little lizards she found in the pool area. We ate at a great little restaurant, Mi Carita, in the strip mall near the hotel. Yes, this hotel is expensive (probably the most I ever paid for a hotel), but I thought it was a nice way to start our trip. We spent two nights here and then three nights in Fajardo at a condo we rented (the condo was much more economical).

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

First time visitor to San Juan and we made an excellent decision to stay at one of the Hilton Brands- Embassy Suites. This hotel is fabulous! We enjoyed the cooked to order breakfast, the evening cocktails, the pool area, and the casino! Everyone provided great service. I plan to recommend this facility to future travelers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!