“Best hotel in San Juan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental San Juan

You added InterContinental San Juan to your Saves list
InterContinental San Juan
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5961 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico (Formerly San Juan Grand Beach Resort and Casino)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“Best hotel in San Juan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Went with a group of 3- girl's trip- and couldn't have had a better time. The hotel itself is beautiful, rooms were impeccably clean, service was amazing. In particular, there were two staff members who really made our trip. Bianca Sierra Martinez went out of her way to ensure we were happy and enjoying ourselves every night during the 5-7 happy hour. She is the best! Also, Pedro (pool bartender) was so friendly and made sure that we had a drink in hand at all times while enjoying the pool! He also recommended dinner places that were phenomenal and did everything possible to make us happy guests! We will definitely be coming back and staying at this hotel. I also recommend staying in the "friends and family" part of the hotel that we stayed in. There is a private lounge used to access this section of the hotel and our room was on the same level as the pool so it was very easy and convenient to walk to the pool/beach from our room. In addition we had a private patio.

Room Tip: Buy the friends and family package it is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

we stayed in the hotel for 2 nights prior to going on a cruise from san juan . not far from airport $15 by taxi . arrived late at night after delayed flight . staff greeted us from the taxi and took baggage straight away , very friendly staff . smooth check in . room was lovely .we had a laguna room.room very large and had the equivalent of two double beds, bathrobes and slippers were provided which was a nice touch . wifi good in the room . room price included breakfast . very wide choice of food and drink ( cava included ) for breakfast and choice of sitting inside or outside . all staff were very friendly and chatty . self service but staff showed us to the table and provided tea or coffee promptly . didnt feel rushed and had lovely leisurely breakfast overlooking the pool . towels provided for pool use and could be changed as frequently as we wished. nice pool area and also hotel situated on the beach so sunbathing on beach is an alternative choice .lots of sun beds . hotel is well situated . close to the port ( short taxi drive away ) and within walking distance of many restaurants, bars and supermarkets so we didnt eat in the hotel . we'd definitely stay here again and its somewhere where we'd consider for more than 2 nights next time

Room Tip: maybe for some people laguna rooms dont have the best views but we didn't mind as its mainly a v...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Elbridge, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel was very nice it has a swim upto bar waterfall shallow end for kids walkway to the beach with a bar facing the beach the pool ground is very pretty and peaceful the pool is 24 hour it was great to go swimming at 2am swimming under the moon light was so gorgeous

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean not the road
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel had a great balance of things for my 20 year old son and I to do. I chose it for the awesome beach (for me!) and the on-site casino (for my son, although it was smaller than we expected). Pool area was beautiful too - even bigger than the pictures. I agree with some of the other reviewers - both my son and I noticed and appreciated the friendliness and smiles of the doormen as we came and went. Our room was always cleaned and stocked. Plenty of really close restaurants, grocery store, and bakery within walking distance. It was also very easy to book our excursions at the Tour Desk on site. And might I add, the food at both the Italian restaurant and the Japanese restaurant onsite both exceeded our expections for food quality and portions.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Pros - clean beach, free beach chairs, nice and large pool, pool bar, decent gym, customer service, and just the pristine premises in general

Cons - continental breakfast was like $15, and full breakfast (with eggs and meat) was like $27, non-valet parking costs $20/per day and is across the street, and it has nothing to do with the hotel but the location is just not ideal to experience PR culture (more on this later).

Other notes - beach umbrellas cost $10, non-Medalla beer at the lobby bar cost $10, 2for1 plain mojitos outside at pool bar cost $12, JetSkis on the beach cost about $80 for 30 minutes but you can negotiate down.

The InterContinental yearns for exceptionalism. The managers and staff do an excellent job providing customer service. The hotel provides a very "resort" feel.

About the location - in my opinion, Isla Verde is just way too commercial. It has such a strong American influence that it almost feels as though you are staying in somewhere like Fort Lauderdale. Isla Verde Avenue is just flooded with American food chains. So, if you like traveling to a Caribbean island that feels like America, come stay at the InterContinental because it's a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I traveled with my 21 year old son. Very good vacation and very expensive. Food is super expensive in all restaurants in hotel. I loved meals and cocktails at the bar, near the fire, great location and great quality of food. But $25 for two cocktails seems too much. Employees at reception desk could be more hospitable. Also there was miscommunication between reception and managers. I was told in the beginning of the stay that I could have late checkout at 2 pm. and I have to come to reception at the day of my departure at 7 am to confirm that. I did that, but I was told that hotel overbooked and there is no availability. Then I called to settle charges, and manager on the phone offered me extended stay until 2 pm with no problem. Why receptionist cant talk to manager? Also there was a delay with cleaning rooms and maid was pretty rude. I complained, and in a few hours received complimentary champagne and strawberries on chocolate. That was pretty nice on the part of management.

Room Tip: ocean view, the highest floor possible
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Upon arrival my family and I were greeted by the friendliest and most professional doorman, William :). Miss you already, William! One of the check in staff (J.) was rude, unprofessional, and he lacked a personality. I had checked in 4 people with another front desk staff member (A.) at 1130 but at 4:00 when it was time to get our keys, J. informed me that only 2 people checked in not 4. I asked J. how the hotel expected 4 guests to occupy a room with 1 king bed. He blamed me for not completing the "paperwork" correctly. I didn't realize that it was up to the guest to do the job of the hotel employee. By 7:00 the other 2 guests finally got a room overlooking the street below, not the ocean view that we paid for. I was told that we would receive a $100 credit for the inconvenience, but that never happened. Only by chance I was able to secure a room with an ocean view by questioning a housekeeping staff member. Not one person at the front desk notified me that there were ocean view rooms available. Guests have to be proactive or you'll end up settling for whatever the hotel offers. After the room issue, everything went beautifully. I can't say enough about all the beach/pool/bar/restaurant/gift shop/coffee shop/housekeeping/ tour staff. Fabulous! Those are the people who made our vacation memorable.

Room Tip: Try to book an ocean view room. It overlooks a tropical garden and pool area.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!