“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental San Juan

You added InterContinental San Juan to your Saves list
InterContinental San Juan
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5961 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico (Formerly San Juan Grand Beach Resort and Casino)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

As in most cases the views and beaches are always beautiful..what makes the difference is the friendly service you can get! Many thanks to Pedro at the pool who made every day a blast! He accommodated all our drink and food orders above and beyond. Nothing was a bother and he was always eager to help. My daughter was not feeling well and he got her toast and ginger ale poolside! The intercontinental is lucky to have Pedro..I will call ahead to insure he was working if we come back. By far the best service on our whole vacation!!! Thank you Pedro!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We chose to stay at the Intercontinental for 2 nights prior to our cruise. Last year, we stayed at the Ritz and found it to be a little too stodgy, so we tried this hotel instead. The hotel is very beautiful. Location is key (5 minutes from airport, 10 minutes from Old San Juan, 15 minutes from the cruise terminal.) The lobby is nice, the grounds are well-maintained, and the pool and beach access are amazing. I always take note at Caribbean hotels if the air conditioning is sufficient, and this hotel was comfortable and cool 24/7. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. I was in a handicapped room which ended up being okay because the bathroom was big, but the shower has no lip meaning the floor got soaking wet every time someone turned the water on. We were in room 1102, and the view of the ocean was spectacular. Maid service came to clean before we returned both days, but we didn't receive turndown service which was a little annoying when you're paying $450 a night. Now, here comes the bad part. We were traveling with another family under a separate reservation (we booked at the same time.) When we went to check-in, we were met by an extremely rude and unprofessional clerk named Charlotte. She never once welcomed us to the hotel, and she was very curt when we informed her that we had requested our rooms be on the same floor (her response was "well that's not guaranteed and unfortunately you're rooms are not on the same floor.") I had attempted to contact Nestor Colon via phone and email to request our rooms be on the same floor twice, and I never received a response (I had requested it originally when I made the reservation online.) Also, she said "well I can't just check both of your families in at the same time, sir." My wife's bag was lost by the airline and she was very upset. Charlotte insinuated to me that my wife "was crazy," and then I said "excuse me?" and she responded with "well all of us are crazy when someone makes us that way." Not sure what she meant by that... We were nothing but pleasant to her, and she was nothing but sour back to us. She "fixed the problem" about our rooms not being on the same floor by trying to put my family in a room with one king bed and "a sofa bed that is nice." She obviously didn't care that my kids are 18 and 16, and long gone are the days of sleeping on a sofa bed. At that point, I got short with her and requested she put us back in our original room. Charlotte was not very smart to speak Spanish to her colleague about my family and me, because I understand and speak Spanish fluently. I would appreciate if the management staff of the Intercontinental would retrain their front desk staff to not always assume that a guest cannot understand Spanish, it is the second language of the United States and many non-native people speak/understand it. Also, a simple "hello and welcome" would've been nice. When your guests are spending $450 a night, you probably should treat them more hospitably and with some respect. I understand that request are not guaranteed, Charlotte's attitude was the real issue. It's unfortunate I have a sour taste in my mouth about this hotel because of one person because the rest of the staff was very friendly. I am not sure if I will return.

Room Tip: Higher floor with ocean view
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
NJ USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Love, love, love the renovations done at the InterContinental! The lobby looks amazing, fresh, clean and spacious. The relocation of the bar and the inclusion of outside service and fire pitt make this a great space to relax and have a drink with friends. The property is clean and the staff attentive and friendly. Many thanks to Nestor who helped us with our dining choices and gave us insight to the area. The hotel location is ideal, minutes from the airport so you get to start you vacation minutes after you land!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool or ocean view. The pool area is amazing!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for choosing InterContinental San Juan for your recent stay in Puerto Rico. I am happy to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you liked our newly remodeled lobby bar. Thank you for recognizing Nestor, we are glad that he was able to assist you and provided you a superior service.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Street, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

While vacationing at the Caribe Hilton, two employees made our stay completely relaxing and gave us a sense of importance...I am sure there are others, but for us, Luis H., and Irving were gems. I hope to see them again when we come back to visit.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

So I booked a vacation a the Intercontinental PR for me and my girl (who is four years old and has disabilities/special needs) and then flipped out! Could I really go on vacation alone with my daughter? But I called the hotel in advance and they took such great care of us during our stay, they made us feel so very welcome and everyone (from the managers to the maids) went above and beyond for me and my sweetie pie.

She and I both had an amazing time and we were very sad to leave. Excellent place indeed.

Room Tip: Seaside view is great - try to get a room on one of the higher floors so the view isn't obstruct...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your great comments about our staff and our property. I am so happy to read about the wonderful stay that you and your daughter had with us. Comments as yours make us feel very proud of our team and motivate us to continue doing our best to create great hotels guests love.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you during your next stay in Puerto Rico!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great service very helpful always ready. amazing pool reasonable beach. Would not stay there for more than 3 days.One negative is the airport is very close you can hear the planes. Overall it's a great place. Can make trip to old San Juan for 20 taxi fare.

Stayed April 2015
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and our property. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed our service levels. I’ve already shared your experience with our team and we truly appreciate your positive feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was our first visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico and without any doubt we had a great time due to the excellent facilities and the hospitable and friendly Front Desk and Concierge employees. Check in was easy and the front desk staff was helpful. The valet staff and Concierge were very helpful in providing suggestions for dinner in Old San Juan. For our next vacations, definitely the InterContinental San Juan will be our first and unique option. Great hotel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
It is great to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us during your first visit to Puerto Rico. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope you will come back soon!

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!