“Adequate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental San Juan

You added InterContinental San Juan to your Saves list
InterContinental San Juan
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5961 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico (Formerly San Juan Grand Beach Resort and Casino)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Adequate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It is a good hotel located at Isla Verde. It is not the most luxurious but it is as expected to Intercontinental standards. There is a good variety dining options nearby, walking distance, making it a good choice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My girlfriends and I came here for a 40th birthday getaway and had the BEST time. The location on the beach is perfect, the pool and hot tub are amazing, and we were right in the middle of the Isla Verde "strip," and in particular right next to the El San Juan Hotel, which is the place to see and be seen on the weekend!

Three great staff members deserve special notice:

Irene, Front Desk Manager: She was super responsive when I found out Expedia had screwed up by indicating that this hotel had rollaway beds, which it doesn't. She moved me and my girlfriends to a room with a larger bed and foldout sofa (which was suprisingly comfortable). And, knowing it was our birthday weekend, she left us a bottle of wine and chocolates in the room with a birthday card! SUCH a nice touch, and one you don't see much anymore at big hotels!!!

Pedro, poolside waiter: Pedro is the BEST. He waited on us all afternoon, and made THE BEST MOJITOS (which, incidentally, are 2-for-1 all day!!!). He also gave us a great dinner recommendation in Condado -- Budatai -- which was an amazing restaurant with a great view. We even got a mojito-making lesson! We'll be making this an annual trip just to get great service again from Pedro!!!

Gabriel, Security Manager: Apparently I had a few too many mojitos before leaving the hotel, because I forgot my passport there! Gabriel not only found my passport, he called me the next morning and immediately had it FedExed back to me. My hero!!!

Super service, super location -- don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Intercontinental – San Juan

We needed a room just for the night so we could be close to the airport. This hotel is close to the airport ($10-$12 taxi plus $1 per bag added fee). Both our companies have a corp. discount so we thought we would try this hotel first. When we got there the lady at the front desk quoted us a rate of over $300/night. When I asked for the corp. discount she had to go ask her manger and came back with $50 off. This hotel is extremely nice and I have stayed at hotels that are between $200-$500 per night. What I did not like was when I checked Hotels.com 1 minute later the rate was $179/night. So I guess my advice to all of you reading this is, use hotels.com or some other site because apparently the intercontinental has no problem trying to screw people who need a room for the night. We left and went to across the street to the newly remodeled Hampton Inn and it was fabulous for $125/night. They were so nice and accommodating I would definitely recommend that hotel.

Room Tip: did not stay because we felt they tried to take advantage of us
Park Ridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just stayed here last week for a week-long vacation. Having never been to San Juan before, we were pleased with our choice of hotel. Had a little mix-up in the beginning, but it was handled well and figured out. The hotel is pretty, clean with an upscale feeling without the stuffy factor; would definitely recommend it. Also, it's super close to the airport. Lots of places to choose from in the hotel and in the area for food and drinks (must say that the food was very tasty everywhere!). Really enjoyed lounging by the pool and heading out to the beach every day. We really loved the spicy guava wings and 32 oz island drink from the Akua pool bar/cafe there. The employee that stood out to us was Pedro from Akua! Not only did he make good food/drink recommendations, but his service was exceptional. He greeted us and made sure we were taken care of every day we were there. Thanks Pedro!! Oh, if you're planning on working out.. you're in luck because there's a clean room with decent machines that overlooks the beach with palm trees (gorgeous view!). Overall, if you're looking for a good balance of fun and relaxation, I'd stay at this hotel and then walk over next door to ESJ for a party at night.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean view, not city and make sure to ask for a room not next to the stairs or elevator s...
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at Intercontinental San Juan prior to starting our (ill fated) Oceania cruise earlier this month. Our room had a ocean view overlooking the grounds as well as the ocean. It was spectacular. The room was very comfortable and the beach a delight to walk on. Nearby was a Ruth's Chris Steak house where we had a delicious dinner our first night. The next day the hotel concierge arranged a city tour for us which we enjoyed very much. In all the stay was quit delightful.

Room Tip: Ocean view on a high floor
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel for a week in December 2014. I visit San Juan at least once a year. Normally I stay at the hotel next door which is the El SanJuan hotel and Casino. I just decided to try something different this year. The intercontinental is a very nice hotel and the staff was great. I love the location because you can just walk out of the hotel and theres tons of cool places to eat if you don't want to spend a lot in the hotel. I always ate breakfast at the buffet in the hotel and then wondered outside for dinner. The best part for me was taking a very long walk every morning on the beach which was very well taken care of. If there was a down side it would be the pool was a little small (but still nice) and that the TV selection didn't allow you to rent movies. I wish this hotel all hotels would just add good WiFi as part of their package. I would stay here again but I like to try new places. I've also stayed down in Condado which is very nice.

Room Tip: I had a Ocean front room that had a great view and was very quite.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
San Juan, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Friends of our will be visiting the San Juan area in March and asked me to check out the Intercontinental which is just down the street from our condo. I inquired at the desk to view a "standard" room and was assisted by the front desk clerk and also Luis, the bellhop at the front door. He was most informative, honest, and complete. Their standard room is considered "city view" and the upgrade would be considered the "ocean view" both room were spectacular and either view were superb. The hotel is located on one of the best beaches in Puerto Rico in Isla Verde. The property is well maintained and I understand underwent a complete renovation a short time ago. All the help encountered were friendly, bilingual and courteous. A must for anyone who wants the best that Puerto Rico has to offer

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!