“Mostly good. Food needs work. ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental San Juan

Save Saved
You added InterContinental San Juan to your Saves list
InterContinental San Juan
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5961 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico (Formerly San Juan Grand Beach Resort and Casino)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Mesa
“Mostly good. Food needs work. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Hotel service is amazing. Ranks as well as any other lux place I've visited.

Room is overall nice, but the bathrooms need to be updated a little. Overall very nice.

Pool is beautiful and the beach is a very, very short walk. Beautiful.

Food is not very good. I got room service and breakfast. Left most of the food on the plate both times.

I would highly recommend this hotel. Just eat someplace else.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Auburn, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Great stay- relaxing pool and beach. We enjoyed the breezes on the beach and shade at the pool.
Casino was nice - but we were not winners:(
Food was ok- there are so many excellent rest in San juan.
If you need local inforMation talk to the bell staff they are great. Beaches, food, things to do and see in old San Juan

• Stayed October 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Went to San Juan for a get away and chose the Intercontinental Hotel. I love the location and the view of the ocean although it took a move to get to a room with no issues. Ray was very courteous and helpful. Ms. Iriada at the towel palapa was a joy and willing to go out of her way for anything I needed. The hotel is older but had some recent updates which are very nice. The evening housekeeper, Isela, was at my room in just minutes to correct a sheet mishap from the earlier shift! Stay away from the casino!

• Stayed October 2014
White Plains, New York, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I am remiss to say that I recently returned to the Intercontinental San Juan, Isla Verde after convincing my girlfriends that we should stay there only AFTER booking another hotel. Well, I’m sorry to say that the standard that I had become used to has simply fallen into disrepair. I won’t be back, with or without friends.
Some years ago my husband and I were cruising and made a weekend trip before the cruise and stayed at the Intercontinental and fell in love with the property, the host/hostess, the concierge and the staff in general. They made us feel welcomed and comfortable. Upon our return a few years later we were met with much of the same courtesy, welcome and overall warmth that we’d known.
On this trip, without my husband however….
My college roommate and I decided to vacay in San Juan. GREAT says me, I know the perfect place!
Our room was at the end near the service elevator in room 1232. My suggestion – don’t do the 32 line of rooms because you hear that OLD rickety elevator all night long! The bathroom was moldy and both of us have allergies to mold. The bathroom door barely closed and its handle was nearly falling from the door itself. There is rust in the ceiling where screws have been attached and it’s spreading. We had to request the bathrobes that they claim are in every room AND there were no slippers. I called on the second day and asked “are there no blow dryers in the room?” “Yes, she claimed proudly, we have them in every room!” Uh, no, ya don’t.
Because we were splitting this bill, I requested a summary of what was spent to that point. We had CAR charges, plus tax, plus their municipality tax to park the car. At that point the added car was more than $80.00. a dios mio! NO!! Then, upon the last day (when they slip that invoice under your door) once again car charges AND the invoice had someone else’s name on it. WHAT?? Off I go to the front desk and explain that I did not have a car. Are you sure? She asked. Um, yeah. Let me pull up your reservation…you’re Mrs. X, right? Um, no, I’m Mrs. Y. Well your reservation in under “X” – I still don’t have a car. It worked out but what if I hadn’t checked? Details, people, details. And HOW ABOUT AN APOLOGY?? WHERE’S THAT??
Okay, on to the good stuff…
Pool area – great. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas. Just ask if you don’t see any available. The beach staff was simply amazing. Please tip them. The beach restaurant is where the staff is most attentive, prompt, funny, engaging and polite. The funniest and sweetest people are at the towel kiosk.
The Italian restaurant (I think only at night) is extremely tasty food and great service as well. It’s a bit pricey but well worth it because you get a good portion of creative, tasty food. I had a shrimp, chorizo black rice risotto creation – OMG! Delish.
If you’ve read any of my other reviews, you’ll recognize my honesty and fairness. I believe in humanity, good food, a good clean place to lay my head and the warmth & courtesy of the staff. I do believe in karma. It’s unfortunate that this particular Intercontinental has allowed for its standards to slip, in that regard, in comparison to a lot of the others. Adios. No mas.

Room Tip: Avoid the last room on the right facing the ocean. The service elevator is old and loud. This hote...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Intercontinental in San Juan for a night, returning about a week later (after our cruise) for a further 2 nights.

Here are the things that you need to know if you are thinking about booking at this hotel:-

THE PROS

1. Location. If you want a hotel where you can literally step from the grounds and onto a perfect, white, sandy beach then don't look any further. It was such a luxury to have such a stunning strip of coastline on the doorstep (quite literally) and we made full use of it.

If the beach (and free chair/umbrellas) doesn't take your fancy then there is a large but busy pool area within the hotel walls.

2. If you have an ocean view room, the views! We paid $60 to upgrade our room for the first night (due to a travel agent messing up our booking) but the amazing view made it totally worth it. I have to add that during our second stay, we stayed in a land facing room and perhaps enjoyed this even more. The airport was just over the way and we loved seeing the planes coming in to land (which you could hear, but it didn't disturb my sleep).

3. On the whole, the staff (although see the section below re the bars). The bell boys get a special mention for being incredibly helpful and friendly.

THE CONS

4. This is a large hotel and during both of our stays, 1 out of the 3 lifts was out of action. With 16 floors and 30 + rooms on each, this created big issues (especially for those higher up). On one occasion, we waited 20 minutes for a lift down (with luggage).

5. The bar next to the beach was fantastic and the staff were very attentive (and the food very good). However, we sadly had a very different experience with the pool side bar and the bar by reception. The pool side bar had 4 members of staff working on most occasions but they never seemed able to keep up with what was going on. We usually had to wait well over 10 minutes plus for pretty rubbish/rude service and then a disappointing and overpriced cocktail. A lot of the other residents that we had spoken to were also dissatisfied and we heard people cancelling simple food orders that had been outstanding for 50 minutes.

The bar by reception. We only drank there once after ordering 2 glasses of prosecco. The lady that served us didn't smile once, was also quite rude and kept us waiting for no reason at all. When the bottle she had didn't quite fill 2 glasses, she thought nothing of topping 1 up with (much cheaper) cava.

We realised that there were a few restaurants and indeed neighbouring hotels with good drink deals on so took our business elsewhere in the end.

Despite the experience with the bars, we, on the whole and despite the niggles detailed above, loved our time at this hotel. Would I go back? Yes, I would. I just need to save up for another trip to the Caribbean!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I stayed here for my birthday trip and it was great. There was birthday cake awaiting us in the room-yummy. The hotel was is very nice and was wonderful even though the elevators were a little slow(1 was down). Our room nice, clean and the view was great. The pool area is wonderful and it's open 24 hrs! The beach was nice, lounge chairs are readily available. The staff was very friendly -Odeleys at the front desk was especially nice as well as William. There are lots of restaurants in the area- there is a nice convenient store/bar across the street that was really nice to watch sports games with light food and good happy hour. It's a short ride to Old San Juan or to the malls-$20 -you can rent a car for $30 a day down the street from hotel if you feel adventurous - be careful outside of San Juan after dark. Great hotel- I would definitely vacation there again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Ended up at the Intercontinental for no specific reason, and I was pleasantly surprised. Rooms were comfortable,(Try to be up high and facing the ocean)Views were incredible. Hotel staff was friendly at every venue. My preference was the lower bar at the beach area. The food prepared there was great!. Cant remember the name of it, but I had a Grilled skirt steak that was rolled, Stuffed with Mofongo,and topped with a Garlic shrimp, Need I say more:-).Drinks were also very good, and the staff was extremely friendly. Pool area at hotel is also very nice. Very close to the Airport 5 Minutes. OH yeah,... The Beach was great at the IC. lots of chairs and very clean. Almost any activity you could think of was within walking distance also i.e.....Jet Ski's,Canoes,Boat rental etc...Also If you like to Dance, the "El San Juan" Directly next door ,has the most incredible live Merengue/Salsa bands, playing in their lobby stage area nightly. Not to be missed.I was only there for 2 days, but I would definitely return. Happy Travels!!!

Room Tip: Up high and facing the ocean
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!