“Watch your credit/debit cards!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental San Juan

IHG Booking.com
InterContinental San Juan
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5961 Isla Verde Avenue, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico (Formerly San Juan Grand Beach Resort and Casino)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
“Watch your credit/debit cards!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was our honeymoon trip :(

First I have to admit...the hotel was beautiful, the pool and the beach areas were amazing, we liked our rooms and the floor was very quiet (7th floor). So we didn't have to deal with slamming doors or people talking loudly even with the families/children that were there....Since it was our honeymoon they did send us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries which was very nice.

Now on to other things.

We booked our 2 rooms in advance in February and paid it in full that day. Thank god I checked my account 3 days before we left because there was another charge for yet another room (almost 2k). This was half of our spending money for the trip, after calling and trying to dispute the situation I was told that the accounting staff was not available on the weekends. As I logged into IHG directly I saw that there were actually 4 rooms booked, 1 of which got declined by my bank (thank goodness). After calling back on Monday they said that there wasn't much they could do and that they would reimburse me, it took 5 days to see that money, after half our trip was over. This all happened because one person accidentally entered the reservations again because I changed one room to a king size bed the same day I did the advance purchase. Once we arrived they then proceeded to tell us that there is a $100.00 incidental fee per night per room, which would have amounted to another $1200.00 on top of the $1600.00 that I hadn't received back. I was told as a courtesy they would only charge me $100.00 for both rooms, equaling $200.00 for the whole trip. They were going to review the account daily to make sure we weren't running up a room bill (understandable), well that didn't happen, they continued to charge the $200.00 (total for both rooms) per day, and every other day the charges for the previous day were released. I had to actually move all my money out of that account so that no more charges could be made against my card by Intercontinental. I am still waiting on 2 releases to be done and I left yesterday (4/15) They did allow us to check in early because the rooms were ready though, although that doesn't make up for much.

The second night we were there we made reservations at the Italian restaurant there at 7:30pm. We arrived on time, but apparently the staff doesn't care. The whole ordeal took over 3 hours. 25 minutes just to get some beverages, another 30 minutes for our appetizers, we kept asking the waitress to put something under the corner of the table because it kept rocking to one side, after yessing us to death she did nothing. We had a total of 5 different servers, the 3rd one is the person that finally delivered our drinks. The hostess (I think she was) spoke no English at all, and while I understand it's a Spanish speaking region, she said she didn't understand us when we asked for water. After another 40+ minutes we were served our entrees, the food was terrible! It was ice cold, over cooked and brought out by yet another one of their wait staff. We were going to say something but by the time someone showed up we were just ready to leave! It took another 20 minutes to get the check after asking 3 people. The restaurant was not busy at this time so it can't be blamed on that. There were about 6 more other tables full with an average of 2 to 4 people, you have a lot of time to observe while sitting around, it was a Wednesday night and pretty quiet at that time. Keep in mind this was a $300.00 dinner that was just a bad ordeal from start to finish, waste of money.

Now for the crazy part! My husband used his card 1 time at Ciao Mediterranean for lunch a $152.00 bucks, then his card was charged the following day for $825.00 for "air italia". Fraudulent charges are no way to end a vacation. So now we come to find out that the restaurant in question isn't even part of the Intercontinental Hotel. Great, we called the bank of course to dispute the charges, the restaurant hasn't done anything. And it will take at least 2 weeks to be resolved and hope to get that money back!

Although i heard that the alcoholic beverages were outrageous before we got there, so some of the prices weren't a shock. Then i ordered a glass of wine and it was $19.00 when the expensive restaurants only charged $40.00 for the bottle. The pool bar and the lobby bar outside had horrible service, the wait staff was never around to get you a refill and you had to search for someone to get your check. The casino staff was just miserable (not all of them though) to crack a smile once in a while could go a long way especially when your trip started and ended badly.

I know this review may not help anyone, this was my experience and all may not be the same. I had hoped for something in return due to all of the problems, maybe a free night or a complimentary dinner...but got nothing.

Good luck to others, hope your stay is more enjoyable.

Room Tip: 7th floor quiet Laguna room doesn't have the best view but who hangs out in their room all the...

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My fiancé and I vacationed here in Feb 2014. The hotel is beautiful, right on the beach, with lots of things to do. Great atmosphere for adults and/or children. There are several restaurant options depending on what you're in the mood for. Our favorite was Splash- the hotels outdoor/ poolside restaurant and bar. Although all of the staff was wonderful, this was largely thanks to PEDRO, one of the restaurants servers. He was so accommodating and friendly and really tried to make our vacation as best as it could be. And to top it off, we were never left with an empty drink! A real asset to the staff there. We can't wait to return for our next vacation!!

Room Tip: Ocean view is absolutely worth every penny!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. We are pleased that you find some of our staff to be outstanding. It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope you will come back and visit us soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed at the intercontinental with my husband and three month old and we are definitely going back! The hotel was very kid friendly, the staff on all levels were super helpful and very nice, and the outdoor pool area was beautiful! I really liked that it felt like a resort without being too large and overwhelming. Also, they have an awesome pool bar with great food and even better bartenders. We basically spent our three days there with the baby and bartenders Jaders and Pedro were awesome!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your great comments about our staff and our property. We are glad to read that you had a great experience with us and that you enjoyed our service levels. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
Burnsville, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Front desk- Nice staff
Bellman-Nice
Pool-Loved it Spa-Spent a'lot of money there was great staff also nice Fitness center-Nice
Beach area/Bar-Loved it
Rooms-The moister would leak on bed from ceiling if you keep your patio open. The bathrooms need updating was dirty w/ paint chipping
Bed-HORRIBLE me and my mothers first trip to San Juan and my mother had multiple Bed Bug Bites on her (they should check rooms better I will not come back)
Front desk manager women- She was rude and try to charge me for a dining bill that i never even had and when they realized it was a mistake they did not even apologize. (PURE RUDE)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The location, amenities, and view were just the icing on the cake of this hotel....the foundation and the cherry on top were the employees. I was blown away by the professionalism and the personal touches of all the employees we came into contact with. They were knowledgeable, helpful, interactive, and kind. We couldn't have asked for a better place to celebrate our vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean views appear to start at the 7th floor and go up. Our room was on the 7th and we were just at...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent visit and for taking the time to share your words of appreciation. There is no greater satisfaction, as customer service professionals, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. We all look forward to the privilege of serving you on a return trip to Puerto Rico.
Maywood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband and I recently came to the Intercontinental for a great 4 day getaway (without the kids yay!) and we had a great experience. The holt was beautiful and clean and the new renovations in the lobby and grounds were beautiful. The rooms were clean and upgraded, the bathrooms were tiny but I had read that in some reviews so I wasn't surprised. The staff was amazing, bending over backward for us whenever they could. The drinks were fun and the food was very good. I guess being from the NY area the prices didn't shock me much but I can see how some parts of the US might have some sticker shock. My ONLY gripe (not really a gripe but an important notation) was when booking we originally booked a "Laguna view" room- it's not a view of anything but the parking lot across the street from the hotel. That being said I don't blame the hotel because we booked through American Express and they probably weren't aware of the true description of the room. We upgraded to an ocean view- go for the upgrade it's not even worth thinking about!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for staying at the InterContinental San Juan and for taking the time to review your experience with us. We truly appreciate that you have shared your feedback with us and we are happy to read that your stay was to your entire satisfaction. As costumer service professionals it is very important to know what our guests think about us.

Thank you again for your great comments and ee look forward to welcoming you soon!
Lake Mary, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I have been to Puerto Rico many times- and this is the second time we stayed at the Intercontinental. The location is excellent- close to the airport and close to major roads if you have a car- which we did. Our room was on the 14th floor with an ocean view and as far as we were concerned, our room was perfect. We had a very comfortable king sized bed, a small fridge and a couch in our room. The bathroom was clean and had everything we needed, including complimentary toiletries. We loved being up high so we could sleep with our sliding door open and listen to the sound of the waves- The pool and beach area are very clean and relaxing. The chairs on the beach were a bit more comfortable as they have pads on them. Beach chairs are free, but a umbrella is $10 on the beach. There are a limited number of umbrellas at the pool, but there is shade under the trees around the pool. The staff, including the concierge were all very friendly and helpful. My only complaint is the fact that breakfast is very expensive for people who generally don't eat a big breakfast. The buffet is $27 dollars and the items ordered off the menu are also very expensive and not great. It would be nice if there was someplace at the hotel to eat a small and reasonably priced breakfast in a restaurant setting. There is a small deli that has coffee, fruit, bagels and some muffins- but it is not a restaurant. There are a couple of restaurants in the area in walking distance. Mi Casita is an excellent choice for Puerto Rican specialties, there is also a Chili's across from the El San Juan and a Mexican restaurant in the same area. If you are going to rent a car, be aware that the parking fees are high at this hotel as well as the others, but we wouldn't consider being without one. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: An ocean view room is very nice and try to get up high.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great comments! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the InterContinental San Juan and that our staff were able to provide the service levels you expected.

Regarding your comments about the breakfast please note that we conduct frequent price comparisons to ensure that we remain competitive. Your feedback to this respect has been shared with our food and beverage team so we can identify opportunity areas.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!