This was our honeymoon trip :(
First I have to admit...the hotel was beautiful, the pool and the beach areas were amazing, we liked our rooms and the floor was very quiet (7th floor). So we didn't have to deal with slamming doors or people talking loudly even with the families/children that were there....Since it was our honeymoon they did send us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries which was very nice.
Now on to other things.
We booked our 2 rooms in advance in February and paid it in full that day. Thank god I checked my account 3 days before we left because there was another charge for yet another room (almost 2k). This was half of our spending money for the trip, after calling and trying to dispute the situation I was told that the accounting staff was not available on the weekends. As I logged into IHG directly I saw that there were actually 4 rooms booked, 1 of which got declined by my bank (thank goodness). After calling back on Monday they said that there wasn't much they could do and that they would reimburse me, it took 5 days to see that money, after half our trip was over. This all happened because one person accidentally entered the reservations again because I changed one room to a king size bed the same day I did the advance purchase. Once we arrived they then proceeded to tell us that there is a $100.00 incidental fee per night per room, which would have amounted to another $1200.00 on top of the $1600.00 that I hadn't received back. I was told as a courtesy they would only charge me $100.00 for both rooms, equaling $200.00 for the whole trip. They were going to review the account daily to make sure we weren't running up a room bill (understandable), well that didn't happen, they continued to charge the $200.00 (total for both rooms) per day, and every other day the charges for the previous day were released. I had to actually move all my money out of that account so that no more charges could be made against my card by Intercontinental. I am still waiting on 2 releases to be done and I left yesterday (4/15) They did allow us to check in early because the rooms were ready though, although that doesn't make up for much.
The second night we were there we made reservations at the Italian restaurant there at 7:30pm. We arrived on time, but apparently the staff doesn't care. The whole ordeal took over 3 hours. 25 minutes just to get some beverages, another 30 minutes for our appetizers, we kept asking the waitress to put something under the corner of the table because it kept rocking to one side, after yessing us to death she did nothing. We had a total of 5 different servers, the 3rd one is the person that finally delivered our drinks. The hostess (I think she was) spoke no English at all, and while I understand it's a Spanish speaking region, she said she didn't understand us when we asked for water. After another 40+ minutes we were served our entrees, the food was terrible! It was ice cold, over cooked and brought out by yet another one of their wait staff. We were going to say something but by the time someone showed up we were just ready to leave! It took another 20 minutes to get the check after asking 3 people. The restaurant was not busy at this time so it can't be blamed on that. There were about 6 more other tables full with an average of 2 to 4 people, you have a lot of time to observe while sitting around, it was a Wednesday night and pretty quiet at that time. Keep in mind this was a $300.00 dinner that was just a bad ordeal from start to finish, waste of money.
Now for the crazy part! My husband used his card 1 time at Ciao Mediterranean for lunch a $152.00 bucks, then his card was charged the following day for $825.00 for "air italia". Fraudulent charges are no way to end a vacation. So now we come to find out that the restaurant in question isn't even part of the Intercontinental Hotel. Great, we called the bank of course to dispute the charges, the restaurant hasn't done anything. And it will take at least 2 weeks to be resolved and hope to get that money back!
Although i heard that the alcoholic beverages were outrageous before we got there, so some of the prices weren't a shock. Then i ordered a glass of wine and it was $19.00 when the expensive restaurants only charged $40.00 for the bottle. The pool bar and the lobby bar outside had horrible service, the wait staff was never around to get you a refill and you had to search for someone to get your check. The casino staff was just miserable (not all of them though) to crack a smile once in a while could go a long way especially when your trip started and ended badly.
I know this review may not help anyone, this was my experience and all may not be the same. I had hoped for something in return due to all of the problems, maybe a free night or a complimentary dinner...but got nothing.
Good luck to others, hope your stay is more enjoyable.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental San Juan Resort And Casino
- Intercontinental San Juan Hotel Isla Verde
- Intercontinental San Juan Resort
- Intercontinental San Juan Hotel
- InterContinental San Juan Puerto Rico/Isla Verde
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The beachfront InterContinental San Juan is located on Isla Verde and is a great setting for both business and pleasure. With the best sparkling beach of the area, perfect weather, amazing restaurants, natural beauty, fun and adventure, sizzling nightlife and great shopping your stay will sure be a memorable one. San Juan International airport is just three miles away. Conducting business is a breeze and it's easy to balance with pleasure. During the day, your group can enjoy our flexible meeting spaces and executive breakout rooms. Our team of experts will orchestrate the finer points, while you sit back in pampered elegance. Old San Juan and the main financial and business districts are just 15 minutes away. Nature lovers will not want to miss El Yunque Rain Forest, The Rio Camuy Caves or the Bioluminescent Bay. Free children (under 16 years old) and free Wi-Fi are just a few of the perks. Do more than just visit an exotic place; immerse yourself in it. Stay at InterContinental San Juan and allow us to pamper you with our warm hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Amex, Agoda, Priceline, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your InterContinental San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.