“Absolutely Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$100 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
Wareham, MA
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a flawless 5 day stay at the Ritz. Our check-in was wonderful and we were able to upgrade our room to Club Level which is so worth the money if you have the opportunity to do so. We were celebrating our 10th Anniversary and they truly went out of their way to ensure our entire stay was memorable. Our room was a what they call a suite but truthfully, it was just that the room was much larger with a balcony and larger windows. The bathroom was beautiful with separate shower and tub, very large vanity and the toilet was in a separate room. Closet space wonderful with shelving. Furniture/bedding was very nice and did not show much wear, the carpets exceptionally clean along with the entire room. I did have the opportunity to look at some other basic rooms while being cleaned and they seemed to be in need of updating.

First, anyone who has any gripes about being treated negatively, then you must just in general not be a happy person. I can honestly say by day 2 my husband could not believe I did not have one complaint. The staff from the front desk down to the landscapers are nothing but friendly and courteous. The housekeepers on our floor sang while they worked and when I talked with them, they told me how much they loved their jobs. That also goes for all other employees that we met. How often do you meet staff who have nothing but positive comments about who they work for and how well they are treated.

Food, very expensive and extremely overpriced in my opinion. We had a wonderful Puerto Rican dinner at Mi Casita recommend by the bartender which was a short walk from the hotel. Dinner for 2, 2 drinks, $38.00. We did eat at Il Mulino New York, the atmosphere was wonderful but truthfully the food was just o.k. and not worth the $180.00 tab. Again when you are on Club Level you can have a continental breakfast, light lunch, nightly hors d' oeuvres and desserts. This also includes fruit, bottled water, juices, soda coffee and unlimited alcoholic beverages. We found we definitely got our monies worth and would do it again if able. It is also a wonderful place to relax when you want to get out of the hot sun or socialize at night with other guests.

The beach is nice but nothing special. We were told the beautiful beaches are on the other side of the island. The pool however is wonderful and the service is exceptional. We did not use the spa so I cannot comment on that. If you have the opportunity to meet up with one of the pool Iguana’s I promise you will entertained especially if it jumps in the pool while you are in it!

All in all, for a short 5 day stay we never wanted to leave the property. It was a great place to unwind and de-stress. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. And to the entire staff at the Ritz, thank you for making our 10th Anniversary one that we will never forget.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

1,831 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Piscataway, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I find it somewhat odd that the very things I enjoyed about this hotel, were mentioned in the last negative review. First, the staff is VERY friendly and helpful. That includes everyone at the front desk, by the pool and at the beach. My friend even left her iPhone on a couch in the lobby and the hotel staff called numbers in the phone to find us and return it. There is a casino in the club which is nice considering it is a resort and not Vegas. There is a also a great nightclub at the hotel. The pool was great and there is more than one and the beach was great also. Great fitness center

The rooms were cool and I thought the beds were actually very comfortable with great down comforters. The air worked well and I never heard it at all. The shower pressure was very good and the bathrooms were fine. There was also a lot of closet space.

The restaurants at the hotel are kind of pricey but we found ways around that as places like Palm (an expensive restaurant) had a happy hour from 4-7 with $3.50 appetizers. We ordered like 10 appetizers and were straight for dinner.

The only downside that I can think of was how hard it was to find a bell hop. It took them over 40 minutes to come when we called down stairs to check out and no one brought our stuff upstairs. That sucked. Also, our last night we were fortunate enough to be a few rooms down from a room full of fraternity members who stayed up until well after 4:00am expressing themselves in the hallway. I had to call security on them twice. Other than that, it was a great trip and I enjoyed this hotel. I would stay there again.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
los angeles, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

The good news is that the hotel is clean and the location is great -- right on the beach but still just a few minutes from the airport. The hotel lobby was elegantly appointed as well. The rooms were another story. If someone took me directly to the room and told me it was a Radisson, I would have completely believed them. It seems as though it's been a while since this hotel has been updated. Some of the beds seem to sag. I know this b/c I got stuck with a room w/ 2 doubles (which usually irritates the heck out of me), and one of the two beds sagged while the other was tolerable.
The thing that really irritated me though was the fact that I had a mosquito in my first room, and when I called to ask for help in killing it, the manager suggested that I just deal with it b/c Puerto Rico is an island and mosquitoes happen.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I have not been to the best hotels of the world, however this hotel is along the lines of a bad holiday inn. First, the good... Location is great and the pool/beach area is fantastic. That's it.

As to the bad, the food is mediocre, very cheap. The staff is obviously underpaid and do not resemble Ritz staff at other locations. I wonder if this hotel is just given the "Ritz" name. The bed was HORRIBLE. Very hard, to the point where I couldn't sleep on them. Also, I could hear the AC kicking on and off the entire night. The room itself was nothing special and the water pressure was horrific. The TV program that allows you to choose movies is horribly outdated too. At one point, I had a movie cutoff in the final 10 minutes. It was almost funny.

Room service was bad. Asked for an itemized receipt and never got one. The people who delivered the food seemed unhappy. Overall, just very unprofessional. The hotel is conected to a horrible, small, trashy casino (which should have given me the hint that this isn't a normal Ritz).

Luckily, I didn't pay for this trip... but if I did I would have been furious. Please choose another hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Just returned from staying 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan. It was a very nice stay. The hotel staff were very professional and polite. The pool and beach here are wonderful. Convenient to the airport. I read previous reviews about plane noise, but I did not experience any and we were at the pool daily. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Patterson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

We were a little hesitant about staying at this resort because after we had booked it we read some negative reviews on trip advisor. Well from the moment we stepped out of our taxi, the service was nothing short of phenomenal. Everyone from the front desk , the bartender, the pool staff and doormen, went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The rooms were very nice, cleaned everyday with turn down service at night. The hotel was peaceful, there were small children at the pool but there were areas that were quieter than others, so if you choose you could seperate yourself. We would definately come to this hotel again and have already recommended it to our friends.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

When I sent my son up to get money out of the safe, he accidently let $550 fall on
the floor. When I went up later to discover it missing, I informed security. Even though
they had record of a maid entering during the time it was on the floor. THEY DID NOTHING ! This isn't what I expected from from a hotel with it's reputation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!