“Another great time in San Juan!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Long Island, New York
“Another great time in San Juan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

We have been going to the Ritz since it opened 12 years ago. Yes it always takes some time at check-in before your room is ready; we bring a carry on with a change of clothes and use the spa to change clothes. This is the best resort in San Juan, others do not come close. We tried a few and were disappointed. We always stay on the club floor and it feels like home when we arrive. The club staff is always there to take care of your needs. We have breakfast and lunch on the club and usually grab a cocktail before heading out for dinner. Many people eat all meals and desserts on the club as well. We ate at IL Mulino twice this year and the service and quality of food is fantastic. We had Valentine’s dinner there and it was awesome. Ruth’s Chris steakhouse is nearby at the intercontinental and Morton’s is a short taxi ride at the Hilton. There are many excellent restaurants in Old San Juan as well. We usually spend one afternoon shopping (Coach, Polo, Guess, Burberry and many more). I would rather use the beach instead and just relax. San Juan has a feeling of being in a city with a tropical feel; you have to know this before going. Many people are disappointed about all the buildings, the airport etc. We like looking at the planes taking off while you are swimming in the ocean, others complain about the noise. The resort has a city feel as well, many of the rooms do not have balconies. The rooms are very clean (never had a bad experience) and the cleaning staff is great. Call them when you check-in a let them know what time you want your room cleaned and turned down, they will accommodate all requests. Keep an open mind as well, many guests think that just because they are staying at a Ritz Carlton that they should be treated like royalty. Be prepared to spend money, nothing good is cheap. If paying $20 for a burger is not your thing, then don’t come here!

My recommendations: If you can stay on the Club level (Worth it!) and take advantage of all it has to offer, it will save your money in the long run. Tip the Club staff; they go beyond the normal level of service. Have dinner at Il Mulino. The quality and service are great. The Ritz does make you feel special and that is what vacations are all about. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

This is your basic Ritz, a nice hotel, service is spotty. We only had three nights away from our kids and paid top dollar for ocean front club level -- 659 dollars a night. Check in was bumpy -- at 2:45 pm we waited in line downstairs for fifteen minutes then were whisked up to club level where we waited another twenty minutes to be told by a rather surly woman that our room was not ready and "we have till four come back at four" It went on and an until I requested the front desk manager who found us a room immediately. Rest of stay was uneventful, until we got our bill and discovered we were being charged $92.26 PER DAY for a "resort fee". The room tax was only 89 dollars a day. I have stayed in Ritz hotels all over the world and sometimes they charge you 25 bucks a day for a "resort fee" but $92.26? Apparently they add fifteen percent to your bill to tip the bellman and pool guys (who we tip anyway). The front desk manager on duty did not return our call. My husband had to go down and fight with them for an hour to resolve the issue. It was a nightmare. Not a good way to end a romantic trip. I am in the process of writing to the corporate headquarters and the hotel GM to express my indignation. As a result of this experience I will probably not ever stay in another Ritz again --- there are other choices in the high end luxury market that do not try to tack exorbitant fees onto the bills of loyal guests who are already paying top dollar. BE WARNED BEFORE YOU BOOK!!

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton SJ on long girls weekend in March of 2008 and dropped by again in June of 2008 with family on a layover to St. Thomas.

To begin with, we had a fairly big snafu on the part of management, but it was dealt with with such grace and generosity that it has become the standard of what I expect when a mistake is made on the part of a hotel. What could have ruined a nice weekend, was totally saved by the actions and honest apology of the hotel manager.

We had a great time at the pool, which has excellent service, even though it is pretty busy. We ate lunch at the resort each day, which was very good and the drinks were as well. We were always on the go at night and I wish we had been able to have dinner there at least one night (although if you are in PR I think Dragonfly is so delicious) as I enjoy the BLT restaurants here in NY.

The rooms were spacious and well appointed -- they were the standard RC set up, which is always nice. I actually think the resort overall is quite beautiful and the Casino was a lot of fun -- when it was slow they taught us how to play craps (which I have no talent for!).

I rented a car, which I wouldn't do again. It is really easy to get around via cab. Overall, it was an excellent stay and I hope to return.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed for a week here and were not impressed! The location is great being close to the airport and the RItz has a VERY nice beach. There are a lot of restaurants, shops, and attractions within walking distance or a short cab ride as well. That is about the end of the compliments. Almost all of the rooms have no outside access. No windows that open, no balcony, just a box and not a very big box. We called the front desk about getting a balcony and they would upgrade us for ONLY $150/night more than the $400 / night we were already spending..... rediculous! One of our first days, we sat on the beach paying $14/ drink and watched our waiter serve free drinks all day to his "sweetie" who happened to be a local. My wife confirmed this by striking up a conversation with her at the end of the day. Infuriated, my wife complained to the manager and was told it was a "misunderstanding". After that, we went and bought our own beverages outside the hotel and packed a cooler. It was not worth the money when you know they cater to the locals unfairly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights and had a wonderful time. The service was excellent. We do not like overbearing service, so this was perfect. The housekeeping service was great. The room was always clean, but we never saw the housekeeping staff. The pool was beautiful, but a little chilly. The beach was great! No rocks, shells, just soft sand. It is a small hotel, so if you are looking for a sprawling resort (aka Mexico), this is not the place for you. The food and drinks are expensive, but you are on vacation! We walked to several places to eat and really enjoyed them: Metropol, Platos and Pui Bella. We took a cab to Old San Juan and highly recommend it.

texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

This Ritz is not your normal Ritz. We called it the "I am Sorry Ritz". I do not know how many times we were told after a mistake how sorry they were. It took forever to get a room even at 5:00 PM and nobody in the lobby on a Sunday. I was promised a 150.00 credit and never got it for waiting til 6:30 PM for a room. The beach is full of sand fleas so that is a bummer. The hotel is clean and thats about all I can say. I was hungry all day long. At night they only have a limited number of seats at the two restaurants so you must call a day or so ahead. I ate in my room two nights out of six. The menus at the hotel restaurants are very limited. The pool is nice but no music, bummer. No people in the hotel knew any thing about the hotel. In six days at the pool I was asked about a drink a sum total of 7 times, but they were real sorry. The gift shop is totally a waste. A couple of bags of chips and a couple cookies. No cokes or liquid drinks of any kind. I bought most of my pepsis at the bar, but be careful the maids will throw away any food or drinks in the rooms. They did it to me twice. The casino is the one bright spot it is very nice. In summation I do not think this is a normal Ritz Carlton. If it is they do not deserve the prices they charge. I got better service in Vegas and in Aruba at 3 star hotels.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I stayed at the Ritz in San Juan with a large group that was on the island to view a college basketball tournament. I know this hotel is quite expensive, but hard for me to give exact details as my pricing was part of a larger package that included things outside of hotel (dinners,transportation,tours) so it is hard to give an exact detail on price.

Hotel is very close to airport, which is a good and bad thing. It is in a bit of a noisy area, planes going overhead, and also outside the hotel at the street. The neighborhood around the hotel is not really a touristy area per se, but there are a lot of options for food and drink in walking distance. While the area around hotel was not luxury, I still think it was pretty safe and many people, both guests and residents walking around, even at night. Several restuarants around, including fast food joints, as well as small strip malls, with drug stores like Walgreens - purchase snacks or other items outside hotel gift shop.

The hotel was very nice. Lobby was nice, including a seating area with a small bar. Several nice, but expensive hotels in the hotel. We ate at the breakfast buffet several times, and ate at the il Mulino restaurant in hotel. The food at il Mulino is very good, they have several locations around the world, including NYC. The casino was a nice size, with a decent crowd and choice of games. Pool was very nice, beach was nothing special.

Service was so so. Getting drinks at pool took a while and the cost was siginifcant. Pool attendents set up chairs, umbrella and towels for you, but expected a tip. Chairs were nice and padded, but were often wet due to rain or people sitting on with wet clothes. I found this annoying, even when extra towels were placed on chairs they eventually soaked through.

Food is expensive. Had a cheeseburger by the pool for lunch one day and I believe it cost something like $18. It was a regular burger, not kobe or angus beef, and the service by pool side restuarant was not great. After that day, we realized to eat out away from the hotel, for much more reasonable and better quality food for lunch.

Our group also had an issue with the hospitality suite we were assigned. Even though we brought our own food and snacks for the group (as we were told), the Ritz charged crazy fees for ice, glasses and cleanup that made it almost not worth using.

Overall it was a good trip, but I think you could get a better deal at a comparable hotel. You obviously pay for the Ritz name. If money is no issue, this maybe the place to stay.

• Stayed November 2008

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!