“Nice experience, might try another hotel next time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Ohio
“Nice experience, might try another hotel next time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

When you break down our vacation at the Ritz Carlton, Puerto Rico there really are no bad parts. The staff was very good, room were great, housekeeping staff was professional, food was very good. But, if you put it all back together, this Ritz could be located anywhere in the world. I mean that it doesn't feel like you are on a island in Caribbean. Very vanilla, but a good vanilla. It would be exceptional if there was a shuttle between hotel and Old San Juan, if there were any place in the hotel to buy a few little snacks for the beach, if the beach was cleaned up at night rather than hoping the tide will take the garbage back to sea. It would be great if the pool was larger. It would be great if the 30's somethings didn't hang out at the volleyball net 24/7 monopolizing the entire pool. Can you put a net on the beach and move those people.
Literally, if I closed my eyes, I could be drinking a glass of wine at the Ritz Carlton in Atlanta, Georgia and not know the difference. If this is the case, why not just put in a Marriott Courtyard. Not exceptional but very nice.
Take the bus outside of the Ritz for 75 cents, Old San Juan shuttle is free. Cabs are $21 just to get in the cab, so budget accordingly. Of course, if you have to ask...you can't afford it?

Room Tip: Hotel is U shaped and face pool. Your other choice is the airport. While in the room on the top flo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Hazlet, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed at the Ritz 8/18 - 8/23/13. Let me begin by saying the customer service at this hotel is incedible. We had 7 people in out party, and we all have nothing but praise. As one employee at the pool told us, "you are on vacation, you should do nothing". When we came down to the pool or beach and asked the attendent to set up for 7, they did it with a smile. Always enough chairs and umbrellas. Yes occasionally we heard planes taking off, but it last for a split second. Very do-able. The restaurants are expensive on the premises. We went out for every meal. I guess that was a bit annoying. We liked a restaurant right passed walgreens. It was called "Piu Bello". Perfect for breakfast and delicious gelato sundaes. The best restaurants were a cab ride away. That could become expensive as well. We found a yummy italian restaurant in condado "IL Postono". And the dishes are hugh. Even though chicken parmesean is not on the menu you can still ask for it. 1 portion is enough for 2 people. And its affordable.
As for the rooms, the bathroom is big and nicely done. The beds are comfortable, but the rooms are kind of small, if you have more than 2 peope in it. Only 1 dresser with 3 draws. I was given an upgrade for $50 a night for pool view, on the 1st floor. I originally agreed, but once i got in the room, and the landscaping was covering our view and could not see anything, i went to the front desk and told them i will stay in the room, but should not have pay an additional amount, for no view at all, and they credited the additional $$ back. Btw, you dont stay in the room too much anyway.
This is no ones fault, but during our stay, it had rained 50% of the time. And i am not talking about a 15 minute storm. It lasted about 3 hours. Booo! It was not too hot,
One tip that i can advise, is bring a small cooler with you, and you can buy drinks in walgreens, then fill your cooler with ice, and you can bring it with you to the pool or beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Blue Bell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My best friend and I went here for girls weekend. From check-in to check-out it we had a 5-star experience all the way! The hotel is beautiful. The pool and the beach are beautiful. The staff were wonderful. The pool and beach wait staff were attentive and friendly. We did see a group of people that looked like locals. Based on the reviews below we thought it was true that locals were allowed to hang out at the pool. We struck up a conversation with them and found out they were from New York city. At that point we realized that a few of the TA reviews are making wrong assumptions! We did walk down the street to the "other" hotel for night life. In our view, its better to walk to the party, and leave to return to a quiet hotel when we want the party to end. Also, we did not want to have to hang out with all the party people on the beach the next day! The Ritz was the oasis we were looking for. We would go back in a heart beat. One last thing, the food and drinks were good too!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

overall, this hotel is very nice. rooms are a good size, bathrooms are nice, shower is great. hotel is clean, nice buffet breakfast but i prefer to order alcarte because i don't care for breakfast. very nice pool, great breeze. direct access to the beach with nice white sand and clear water. nice gift shop - casino just so so - it's small and not many people in it. I found EVERYONE to be extremely helpful and professional. at the pool - they always helped you set up your chairs, great pool side bar and food service, everyone is extremely helpful in the lobby....asking if you need help with your luggage, greeting you at the door with a smile and a warm welcome.. one thing i did not care for the hotel - it needs to be updated and get rid of the ugly artwork, especially the pictures glued to the mirrors as you exit the elevators. they have a full size mirror as you exit the elevator, which is great, but its covered at eye level with an ugly picture (they need to come down). place is kind of stale looking. they need to renovate and up day to today's standards. all in all - great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was my first time staying at a Ritz and I expected to have a wonderful experience. The front desk staff was nice and we were able to check in earlier than the check in time which was great. However, the room was like any room I would find at a Holiday Inn or a similar discount hotel. Each day they didn't clean the rooms until very late in the day. When we went to go out to the pool, I realized that the beach restaurant and bar were closed for construction. The whole time we were there, you had all sorts of noise from the construction, which was not very enjoyable. For the price we paid to stay there, I expected much more. At the very least, there should have been some notification of the construction when booking. The restaurant food was ok, but the service was very slow at the restaurants. If your looking for a place to stay where there is alot to do and walk to, stay in Condado, La Concha is a great hotel. Our group ended up taking cabs there each night, as there was no night activities near the Ritz other than a few restaurants. Some of our friends stayed at La Concha, spent less money on the rooms, and were much happier with their experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had a chance to stay at The Ritz for five (5) night in early August. I was there for a conference and dragged my daughter along for the ride. it was everything you expect in a 5-star hotel. The staff was very attentive and the place was spotless. We had a pool view room with a nice balcony. I did get a chance to enjoy the semi-private beach and had no problem getting a chair and umbrella. Nice restaurants within walking distance. Also Walgreen next door for snacks.

A couple pet peeves - I didn't like the fact that they charge your card at check-in. No house phones in the conference room areas. Also the ice bucket in the room is too small!

Room Tip: Ask for room with pool view and balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

For our first vacation in PR, I did extensive research and finally decided on The Ritz. After seeing the recent complaints on here, I was definitely getting nervous. After staying 5 days at the Ritz Carlton, I honestly think people who write those reviews will never be happy. You're in Puerto Rico! There was NOTHING I saw from reading the negative reviews that proved true. Lighten up people!

Customer service was incredible. After an awful US Airways experience and a 12 hour delay, the woman who checked us in (Monica?) was so helpful. They even remembered we were celebrating my daughter's 10th birthday and had cupcakes in the room upon arrival! She loved it. Although she said we had a "city view" room, our room pretty much faced the ocean. That was a very nice added bonus. The rooms were impeccable, again I was looking for something off from reading some reviews, I found nothing. Everything was very clean with service twice a day (10 am and 5pm ish for turn down). Housekeeping even placed my daughter's stuffed animals nicely on the made bed:), put ice in the bucket, etc. Bravo!

The beach! Isla Verde was gorgeous. Yes it's near the airport but honestly the waves and the wind (it is windy it August) drown out the sound so that didn't bother us. We were focused on getting up early and were often the first people on the beach at 8am. The beach staff were all so sweet. They automatically set up your chairs wherever you asked with umbrella. Definitely tip the hardworking staff. They deserve it. There was also cold ice water with oranges or watermelon added for a fresh treat. And a bowl full of oranges. They also offered food and drink service on the beach. So nice to sit there and eat breakfast looking out at the ocean. The surf lessons offered there were also fantastic for kids. My daughter had a blast and rented a surfboard daily! I would recommend bringing board shorts and a wetsuit top, she did get pretty scratched up. But that didn't deter her! Other than that there are jetski rentals but not at the Ritz. Ten minutes down the beach at the party hotel. We stayed put with surfing.

Yes, all beaches in PR are public. Not sure why this is a problem. I saw no pack of wild dogs, no loud music, nothing jarring. In fact, it was quite quiet and not packed at all. Even with 600 guests staying! Could not tell. Everyone was so nice and I got recommendations on local food from beach staff. I was told to go to El Jiberito for authentic PR food. We took a cab to Old San Juan ($20?) and walked the cobblestone streets taking pictures until we found it. Lacking in customer service but the food was pretty good. Very fresh snapper and I'd recommend the yellow rice. I ordered churrasco but I'm pretty sure I got shredded beef. Lots of food. Enjoyed Casa Lola much better, wish I had found that restaurant sooner! Try both. Casa Lola was much nicer but Jiberito was also authentic. Old San Juan was nice. Wear walking shoes. My daughter fell because the streets are so broken. Also I probably wouldn't go again just us two after dark. Kind of vacant.

Back to the Ritz. The doormen were wonderful and Rafael and Bimael were so attentive and helpful and fun for my daughter. Thank you! The waitstaff and the gift shop (they will send out postcards for you), the coffee shop staff, everyone was so polite and helpful. No complaints. Best coffee was the iced white chocolate mocha, which I took out to the beach every morning.

Here is what I took away from dining. Every morning we wanted to get out to the ocean quickly. So I decided to get a buffet to go while our coffee was being made. Perfect option and more than enough food. Try the guava pancakes with sauce! And the potatoes with homemade ketchup options. Curry! Fantastic breakfast food and my daughter got an omlette daily. We packed it all up and headed to the beach. About $33 for breakfast.

We did order lunch on the beach once and my daughter loved the huge angus burger. I asked if they could make churrasco tacos and they did. Delicious. Servers were walking around asking for our order. Very nice.

Oh we also did the lobby lounge one night for a drink and a snack. They had live music (Saturday)! The wings were delicious (tamarind sauce!) And the short rib sliders were amazing! Craving more right now. Everything was hot and fresh. Other than those meals we didn't eat in the hotel because we wanted local food. Our stay was fabulous. You can even print boarding passes from the lobby. We did. And I liked the fact that the airport was close. Oh make sure you go outside at night in back to hear the Coqui frogs! My daughter loved that. And the lizards and iguanas. She tried to catch one. The weather was beautiful sunny and 85 daily. Rained for 5 minutes one day. The pool was huge. My daughter loved volleyball.

We will definitely be going back to the Ritz. A fantastic vacation perfect for families.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!