“We should have stayed in Florida” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
Gainesville, Florida
“We should have stayed in Florida”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The pool needs a major rennovation we should have stayed in florida or gone to another ritz- the pool is so dark and worn out looking that it looks like you are swimming in a dark lagoon vs a nice pool. The Italian restaurant is way overpriced and the kids club ridiculously priced. Would definitely book another island not here!!!! I will say the staff is far more attentive than at el conquistador though .

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1,839 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
San Bruno, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Signature beautiful Ritz Carlton property...with a casino! Woot woot! I recommend visiting the Club Lounge for the daily food presentations and alcohol...if we weren't at the casino, the beach or sightseeing in Old San Juan or El Yunque, we were definitely enjoying the comfort, privacy and luxury of the Club Lounge. The staff at the Club is soooo much fun and so helpful with anything and everything. The Club Lounge was definitely like the cherry on top during our stay there.

• Stayed June 2013
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We knew we made the right choice when our cab turned in to the parking area. The place is amazing inside and out. The massive pool area was beautiful and scenic. The beach felt private and was very relaxing. They really care about satisfying every guest of the resort. It was our first time to the island and we didn't want to leave the resort for the first 24 hours of our trip. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the best but definately not necessary. The worst room is better than most other resort...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

very nice hotel on the san juan end of puerto rico
when you hear ritz you deffinetly think luxurious this was nice
not much of a night life or restaurants so you have to leave the hotel
the beach and ocean there are beautiful and the staff is amazing
deffinetaly would go back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This property reminded me of another Marriott property that I love in Florida. It is right on the beach, the rooms are luxurious, and the amenities are plenty. Food and drinks are pretty expensive, but we especially enjoyed eating at one of the hotel's restaurants, Il Mulino. The wait staff was incredible and we very much felt pampered.
Even though you can see the airport from this hotel, it was very quiet and very comfortable. One downside is that there are not many nice restaurants within walking distance
Would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: We had a city view facing north, which is not the greatest view. I always ask for a room away from...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hainesport, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife & I were attending a wedding at The Ritz for very close friends of ours. We were also celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We arrived by limo and we're graciously greeted - the staff was just as we expected, PERFECT 10's... the front desk had 2 glasses of champagne waiting for us, since they knew we were celebrating ours 25th and they too were 10's.

We travel & stay at the best hotels in the world, however this was near the middle of the list surprisingly. Don't get me wrong, you won't disappointed because it is very nice, it's just that the rooms in our opinion are dated.

The CONS
#1 The hotel does not have a full back up generator, therefore when the power went out during cocktail hour the day of the wedding, the A/C had to be shut down in many parts of the hotel and the hall that we were gathered in became very uncomfortably warm - I didn't expect a company like this that caters to a higher end client, to be this unprepared. Especially because power outages like this happen on a frequent basis, due the geographic location. Shame on your guys!

#2 The pool area is very nice, but I thought we were at a Disney pool there were so many children and young teens. Not at all what we expected. Don't get me wrong, I love kids - we have 3 boys - but, we truly did not expect to floating in the pool and bumping into kids every 15 seconds and of course the noise level was that of a Disney location. If kids playing don't bother you at this price - then more power to you - you'll have a blast! We would rather float in peace & quiet and be among adults at The Ritz and reserve our time with kids for a more kid friendly atmosphere.

The PROS
#1 GREAT FOOD - don't even bother leaving the property, unless you travel to Old San Juan for some cite seeing or to a cock-fight with he locals.
We've eaten at il Mulino's in Vegas and it was exquisite dinning - the same goes for this location - 5 star all the way! Make reservations ahead of time - they get booked quickly.
BLT Steak - is a MUST for us carnivores. a GREAT Filet Mignon and very nice atmosphere - the waiters were very good.

#2 We did great at the casino $3,300.00
#3 the bar in the lobby was fun after the wedding

Like I said, you won't be totally disappointed if you are heading there for some particular event -- but I would not make it my destination for a vacation - there are so many other resorts for the same money or less that blow this place out of the water!

Room Tip: I would book the Executive Suite if you are looking to stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton San Juan Hotel for 4 nights in early June. It was a lovely stay and I would recommend the hotel. Here are some things to keep in mind:

There are very few restaurants, bars, etc. within walking distance of the hotel. In fact, I wouldn't recommend leaving the hotel grounds on foot. You should plan to eat all your meals at the hotel or expect to pay $40+ for a round-trip taxi ride into Old San Juan. The food at the hotel is good, albeit pricey, but there are really only so many days one can eat burgers, chicken fingers, and fish tacos for lunch.

If you are awarded an upgrade while checking in, don't take this at face value. I had prepaid for a ocean-front room with balcony via Travelocity. At check-in, I was given an "upgrade" to a pool-view suite. When I complained about this "upgrade" the front desk admitted that there were no ocean-front rooms available. The situation was rectified to my satisfaction but I couldn't help but feel that they had tried to trick me into accepting a room of lesser quality than the one I had ALREADY paid for.

The beach is lovely and service is great. If you prefer to sit in the shade, like I do, snag some chairs under the palm trees. I noticed that if the weather was too windy, the staff would not put up umbrellas.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!