“Great Property w/a wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Clearwater, FL
“Great Property w/a wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I just completed a five night stay at this wonderful property. Some of the reviews we read prior to the trip made us a bit apprehensive about our booking, but upon arrival, we knew the reviews were either inaccurate or downright bogus. As an example, some of the reviews stated that the noise by the nearby airport created disturbances inside the rooms and on the grounds. Although the airport is 5-8 minutes away via taxi, we never once heard one airplane inside the room and only distant noise once or twice while outside the hotel. We here far more airplane noise in our home in Clearwater, FL.
The staff was wonderful. Abby greeted us like royalty as soon as we entered the property. Diana in the lobby restaurant area provided us the warmest customer service that we have ever received any restaurant or hotel/resort ever. A young man named Rafael stopped me by the pool one day and asked how everything was going. After I explained that my wife was in the spa, he offered to walk me around the entire facility. He beamed with pride as he showed me around this marvelous property.
The facility is immaculate in all regards, and the room service is over the top. We noticed that we had been asking for extra coffee and cream, and very soon extra coffee/cream began appearing w/o having to ask.
While leaving the spa one day, one of the staff stated, "Oh my, it's raining, and you don't have an umbrella, here, take this one and leave it at the front desk when you're through!"
We dined at BLT Steak and Il Mullino's. of the two, we preferred Il Mullino's as the service was the best we have ever experienced at any restaurant. We had at least four different servers asking us how everything was, and the breads offered were to die for.
The only thing we didn't like about this facility was the sand on the beach. We are used to golden or white sand, and in some cases volcanic black sand. This sand was a brownish color and it didn't do the hotel justice. The pool, however, is wonderful wish fine service to match. One day, as an example, it began raining, and I spotted a lady struggling to open a large Ritz beach tableside umbrella. It wasn't ten seconds and two staff walked briskly over and opened her umbrella. Staff would ask if I needed extra towels or an orange or something to drink.
In short, we loved this resort and cannot help but wonder why anyone could leave a negative review.
Thank you for a memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I travel to Puerto Rico quarterly on business.
I usually stay in the Condado area at the La Concha. I like the location of La Concha which has many great restaurants. Recently, conditions at LaConch have declined so I decided to try the Ritz in Isla Verde. The experience was top notch!
Check is was quick, with a nice champagne cocktail as I arrived. They also have water bottles by the desk. The rooms are much nicer than other properties in PR, well maintained and clean. There are not many rooms with balconies, which is a minus, but I was lucky to secure one. I had dinner both nights on property...Il Mulino is great for Italian and there is a nice steak place as well, BLT Steak. Prices in both restaurants are high, but worth it because I saved on taxi fare. The downside to the Ritz is location, with not many restaurant choices in the area.
My conclusion i would rather stay at the Ritz, even though I do like the Condado area better...In my opinion, the professionalism of the Ritz and their nicer rooms are worth it.
I did not use the pool or beach area, but they look very nice!
My one Big complaint about the Ritz chain is that they don,t honor the Marriott Platinum upgrade or lounge access policy. Maybe one day Marriott will make a change in this policy .

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Juno Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had an excellent time during our one night stay at the Ritz in San Juan / Isla Verde. The price we paid per night was about the same as the Marriot in San Juan. The service and attention we received was excellent. We upgraded to club level and we took advantage of it. They reactivated our club level access cards even after we had checked out so that we could take advantage of the appetizers and open bar until we left for our cruise that evening. If you are going to drink during your stay and you don't mind the short trip to the 9th floor, club level is the way to go. We had a minor mishap leaving the hotel when one of the bellman did not get all of our luggage into the cab, but the Ritz did pay for the return cab ride. Though this Ritz might not compare to the Ritz in Palm Beach or Naples, for the price it is an excellent deal.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club Level if you are going to drink.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

As stated by others, the wait time to check in was terrible. They eased the pain with champagne. Our room was not ready so they offered to treat us to a snack - very nice since we had not eaten. Our treat was billed to our room. Some of the plugs in the room did not work. We had Easter brunch at the hotel. It was $70 something per adult and then they charged for coffee. The hotel is nice, but it's not as nice as one expects of a Ritz.

Room Tip: There were places nearby by for breakfast. The guys working at the front door were very helpful.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

The Ritz Carlton-San Juan was wonderfully relaxing. Isla Verde is a fairly small area, but there are some great restaurants within I walking distance (very safe) and a $21 Taxi ride to Old San Juan or $17 to Condado where there is great shopping and night life. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was pricey on the resort grounds but worth every penny! We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

• Stayed June 2013
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First and foremost the service is excellent from the moment you arrive to the time you leave. I do not like resort fees being added to your bill when you check out at the rate of approximately $44.00/day. Get ready for taxi shock which means you will pay from 10-45 dollars anytime you take a taxi anywhere. This is based on zones. Old San Juan with its two very old forts is great and can be covered by walking or free trolley. Food away from the resort is from 1 to 5 dollars higher per meal than here in Florida. Bacardi factory is fun but with a $35 trip out and a $45 return I was glad it was free. We opted for the $12 ride to the pier and paid 50 cent each to ride the ferry over to Old San Juan and the a $21 ride to the Ritz. The ride back and forth to the airport with tip is also $21.
As I said at the first the service is excellent, everyone is very friendly and always ask if you need any assistance. The beach, pool, spa and fitness areas are great. We were able to get a small refrigerator for our room and could have gotten a microwave if available. Finally the three teenage girls that were with us were in town and called the resort about a taxi and the gentleman that answered said don't get in one and he would send one to pick them up. Maybe the $44/day fee is worth safe and happy teenagers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!