“Nice property but not up to par with Ritz standards” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
Long Island, NY
“Nice property but not up to par with Ritz standards”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first stay at the Ritz Carlton, I thought the property was beautiful. The pool staff was excellent, along with the pool waiters. The Pool waiters work very hard, but they need a few more of them. Il Mulino is what I expected having dined at the one in NY. BLT steakhouse food was great. Our waitress was great, she went above and beyond. The hostess was very rude, and had a very bad attitude of which we addressed with the restaurant manager. The housekeeping of the rooms was excellent however, our room attendant would knock when we had the Do not disturb sign on and even walked in on us a few times after us yelling to go away. Wasn’t a big deal, but shouldn’t have happened.
My boyfriend has stayed at the Ritz Carlton numerous times, different properties. According to him, the service is not up to Par with Ritz standards. We were traveling with four other couples. We got to the hotel around 1pm, three couples did not have club level rooms and us and one other couple did have club level rooms. So we got escorted to the club level with the other couple. Our rooms weren’t ready. Our friends who had regular rooms encountered some issues at check in but got rooms. We waited half hour, our friends got their club level room and changed went out to pool. Our room wasn’t ready still. We waited a total of an hour plus. We finally checked in, after my boyfriend having to speak sternly with the club level representative and even spoke to a Manager. The Manager was very nice. Our keys didn’t work, we couldn’t get anywhere on the elevators. We addressed with club level again. One of our friends deem the Ritz as the “Land of No” for various reasons.
Our TV didn’t work the whole stay. Apparently they just upgraded the TVs to LG TVs and were having system issues. The movies are not of an upgraded system. The air conditioning was touch and go.

The Casino
I’m not sure if the Casino is privately owned or owned by Ritz which I hope for their sake isn’t. My boyfriend and two of the other guys that were in our group are big gamblers. The Casino is horrible. You have to watch the dealers at the craps and roulette tables seems in general the dealers don’t know what they are doing and could end up costing you money.
-My boyfriend requested that the blackjack maximum bet be increased. The answer was NO.
-They asked what the comp system was, they explained you needed an average bet of $100 and a minimum play of 4 hours per day. What they neglected to advise is that it is 10% of hyperthedical (not to pay). They didn’t have the average bet down correctly. They said my boyfriends average bet was $140 but he was betting max $500 bets. The pit boss, was called every time he was betting max bets. Why it wasn’t recorded correctly is beyond our minds. By the 4th day, my boyfriend figured out the algorithm and it’s designed for people to play by the rules, when you start not playing by the rules you start winning.
-The tables have card shufflers. We requested they not use the shuffler for at least one black jack table and they refused. The more money you loose, the bigger the comp you get bottom line.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1,842 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Hampton, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I will start by saying this is not my kind of destination. I stayed here as part of a business trip. I prefer smaller boutique hotels off the beaten path. However, there were redeeming qualities of this property.
Pros-
Very friendly and attentive staff. From finding you seats by the pool or on the beach, to drink service. Some of the best i have ever seen.
Very good food and drink. Although a little pricey, the quality was definately there. Great mojitos, pool side lunch menu, and breakfast.
Nice pool area
Very clean overall
Wifi everywhere

Cons-
Cheaper rooms have no balconey's.
Beach is very crowded (although the great staff will find you seats) I left the NY beach scene a long time ago.
A little too noisy pool and beach area for me.

Overall, not a bad location if this is you kind of location. Casino was reported as very good.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Since I am rating the hotel and not the beach in San Juan, the service at the Ritz was very good and the staff were very friendly. The food was also surprisingly good. But I would not go back to San Juan personally, as I was expecting more from the beach. We also went next door to El San Juan for drinks, gambling, Club Brava, dining, etc. and I preferred the Ritz.

Room Tip: We did not have a balcony, but I assume that would be an upgraded room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here while on a business trip. Overall my experience was great. While it is convenient to the airport, which I liked, I did not hear any aiport noise. The beach looked lovely, but I was not able to enjoy. The exercise facility was nice and had modern equipment. The staff was pleasant and proactively offered to assist me while I was walking/wondering around the facility,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cherry Hill, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I did not have great expectations, based on other reviews. We were using Marriott points and I've stayed at the Stellaris, which was just ok, the La Concha was unavailable and I didn't think the Courtyard would be anything special. I figured this was our best choice.

We were there March 20-25th. The customer service was so good, it was almost over the top. Everyone was sure to make us feel welcome and that we knew each person's name.The lobby, and grounds were beautiful. The room and bathroom was very nice and clean, but it was a "city view" which meant our window (that didn't open) faced condos across the alley way.

I guess it was the time of year, but it was way too crowded. You could barely walk around the pool that was filled with hundreds of screaming kids. The beach staff was good, but you had to get there early to get a decent spot. My boyfriend and I walked down to the Courtyard a couple of properties down and we were both surprised. It actually had a bigger pool area, with a nice big outdoor restaurant and bar. The beach area was bigger and less crowded too. We found ourselves walking to the beach bar at the Courtyard a couple of times. We also walked to the ESJ and Waterclub too. We just didn't feel the prices were justified here.

Room Tip: There are a rare few that have patios or balconies; do what you can to get one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
West Haven, Connecticut, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I was there because my hotel I booked was actually overbooked. I am glad it was the ritz was so nice and exceeded my expectations. Close to the hottest night spots. Relaxing pool and beach area. The customer service was outstanding. Friendly and pleasant staff

• Stayed July 2012
nowhere
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is close to the airport which is convenient but there are better places to stay. Not much beach area but lots of pool chairs. The place is expensive, not worth the cost. Staff is friendly, but a co-worker had jewelry stolen out of their room on a past visit. Meals are reasonable to expensive and alcohol is way too expensive. You can go down the street and buy a bottle of wine for less than the cost of a glass at the hotel. If you want to reserve a block of rooms, look at the contract carefully as they through throw in ridiculous fees, such as an $8 bellman fee, and you may not even use one. If you don't have a car, there are not many options nearby for eating without taking a taxi towards Old San Juan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!