“Nice hotel, but there are better beaches...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
Houston, Texas
“Nice hotel, but there are better beaches...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Since I am rating the hotel and not the beach in San Juan, the service at the Ritz was very good and the staff were very friendly. The food was also surprisingly good. But I would not go back to San Juan personally, as I was expecting more from the beach. We also went next door to El San Juan for drinks, gambling, Club Brava, dining, etc. and I preferred the Ritz.

Room Tip: We did not have a balcony, but I assume that would be an upgraded room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

1,844 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here while on a business trip. Overall my experience was great. While it is convenient to the airport, which I liked, I did not hear any aiport noise. The beach looked lovely, but I was not able to enjoy. The exercise facility was nice and had modern equipment. The staff was pleasant and proactively offered to assist me while I was walking/wondering around the facility,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cherry Hill, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I did not have great expectations, based on other reviews. We were using Marriott points and I've stayed at the Stellaris, which was just ok, the La Concha was unavailable and I didn't think the Courtyard would be anything special. I figured this was our best choice.

We were there March 20-25th. The customer service was so good, it was almost over the top. Everyone was sure to make us feel welcome and that we knew each person's name.The lobby, and grounds were beautiful. The room and bathroom was very nice and clean, but it was a "city view" which meant our window (that didn't open) faced condos across the alley way.

I guess it was the time of year, but it was way too crowded. You could barely walk around the pool that was filled with hundreds of screaming kids. The beach staff was good, but you had to get there early to get a decent spot. My boyfriend and I walked down to the Courtyard a couple of properties down and we were both surprised. It actually had a bigger pool area, with a nice big outdoor restaurant and bar. The beach area was bigger and less crowded too. We found ourselves walking to the beach bar at the Courtyard a couple of times. We also walked to the ESJ and Waterclub too. We just didn't feel the prices were justified here.

Room Tip: There are a rare few that have patios or balconies; do what you can to get one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
West Haven, Connecticut, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I was there because my hotel I booked was actually overbooked. I am glad it was the ritz was so nice and exceeded my expectations. Close to the hottest night spots. Relaxing pool and beach area. The customer service was outstanding. Friendly and pleasant staff

• Stayed July 2012
nowhere
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is close to the airport which is convenient but there are better places to stay. Not much beach area but lots of pool chairs. The place is expensive, not worth the cost. Staff is friendly, but a co-worker had jewelry stolen out of their room on a past visit. Meals are reasonable to expensive and alcohol is way too expensive. You can go down the street and buy a bottle of wine for less than the cost of a glass at the hotel. If you want to reserve a block of rooms, look at the contract carefully as they through throw in ridiculous fees, such as an $8 bellman fee, and you may not even use one. If you don't have a car, there are not many options nearby for eating without taking a taxi towards Old San Juan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is a very nice hotel in a lovely setting. Unfortunately we were there for Easter when it was probably more than 100 percent full (I.e.lots of families with small children). Good as it is, it is not designed to deal with that sort of crowding. Finding a place by the pool was impossible. One could not walk to the beach without tripping over bodies. Getting a decent time reservation at their restaurants was next to impossible.
I guess my advice is "avoid it during peak periods." We ended up moving next door to the CourtYard facility which was a bit better designed to deal with crowds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco/Orange County
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but felt that a couple of things are worth mentioning:

-Hotel is very close to the airport: our room faced the ocean, but I am pretty sure the city view rooms faced the airport
-Located in a conjested area of condos and other hotels- this is not a remote location
-Very busy: pool, bars, lobby, club lounge were often full. If you like peace and quiet and open spaces, this is not the place for you.
-Younger crowd: saw several bachelorette and wedding groups along with grouos of young couples
-Lacks details- pool cocktails are mostly mixes (no fresh fruit or original cocktails), items not restocked at club lounge (out of milk for coffee machine, out of juice, out of fresh fruit during breakfast, out of champagne in evening), overflowing trashcans in public bathrooms
-Staff was nice, but very slow and not perceptive

Positives:
-hotel was clean and well maintained, good bathroom amenities, club lounge was excellent, good ocean views,

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!