“When a lounge offers more than GREAT drinks...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Hudson, Massachusetts
“When a lounge offers more than GREAT drinks...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ambiance plays an important role in how you experience a lounge as does service and attention to details, and we come to expect that from the Ritz family. But when you also have the pleasure of meeting a MASTER mixologist - I like to call him a mixology alchemist - magic happens, and you simply cant look at a drink the same way again. So the experience starts with Orlando and his magic potions, a couple of well prepared finger foods, ambiance and affordable luxury all around, and you are transported to another place and space.

As stuffy as Ritz can be, from the standpoint of suburbia USA, this particular Ritz has a human earthiness and soul which Orlando characterizes from the unpretentious corkiness of his demeanor, his drink shaking to an inner tune of a salsa on fire, his general passion for people and his craft and his attention to detail - be it a drink or a cappuccino.

The grounds are stunning and staff professional with a "welcome to our home" attitude.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 7 nights.The staff was terrific,always personable and very friendly,and very helpful.I would recommend this place to anyone.If I had it to do over again,I would travel at a different time an not go during Easter break,(60th birthday)just too many kids ,althought they were well behaved,the place was packed.The service was very good at the rest,the BLT food was good,however nothing exceptional.The Italian restaurant was very good,and fabulous service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I just returned today from a 5 day stay at the property. I should start by saying that I typically travel this "school week" and for the past few years have stayed at Breakers, Ritz Carlton Palm Beach, Boca Raton Resort, etc. so I'm used the prices, etc. I think people who complain about the cost of drinks/food are perhaps used to a different hotel level.

In terms of pros, the beach was nice, staff was absolutely lovely and friendly and accommodating and the rooms were totally updated as was the hotel (I didn't think it was rundown at all). The had complimentary water everywhere and the kids buffet breakfast was very reasonable. The pool was big which my 6 year old son liked and it was very kid friendly (I would NOT go here if you weren't travelling with kids). They had the easter bunny which was cute.

In terms of cons, the biggest ones were the food (it is very bland, no outdoor dinner casual dining choices and nothing carribean). I'm from NY so I don't need to go to Puerto Rico to go to Il Mulino and BLT Steak. We actually ate dinner out each night which is totally atypical for us. The other huge reason i wouldn't go back is that the majority of rooms don't have balconies. I knew this going into it but i didn't realize the material impact it would have on our stay. It didn't feel like I was anywhere tropical and I hated not being able to just sit outside.

The hotes was beyond packed but Easter Week is tough

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

stayed at the ritz for 5 days and money was well spent. we stayed at the 9th floor which was a the VIP floor. staff was extra accomodating. housekeeping comes around to check if you need anything as far as ice and anything constantly. the rooms were cleaned and linens where changed daily. the hotel itself was gorgeous. no lines during check in. to make everything short, the staff was very attentive to all ur needs.... everything is accessible and walking distance. i will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Poughquag, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family of 4 stayed 5 nights at this hotel. As a Ritz Carlton Visa Rewards member, we had enough points for a free stay. During the Easter week, the hotel was packed, and I did not get my automatic room upgrade, so even though our room was on the highest floor, it had a city view and the room was small, plus it only had a king bed. We had a free rollaway and the loveseat was a small sleeper sofa, so when we opened both beds up, there was very little room to walk around. The pool and the beach were very crowded, twice they ran out of towels and we had to wait an hour or two before they received new towels. The recliners by the pool were very close to each other, so we felt squeezed by other parties right next to us. Still, the pool was very nice to play and my kids had a great time. The first time we hit the beach, strangely, the waves were quite big (not a good swimming beach as people said), though the second visit, the water was much calmer. The hotel had a casino, and my wife played 3 card poker nearly every night. My son and I also got play tennis twice during our stay. We never could get good reservations at Il Mulino or BLT Steak, so twice we ate in the Lobby Lounge, which was okay, because they had a great sushi chef (the sushi was terrific). As usual, the staff was very friendly and attentive, from the parking valets and the doormen, and housekeeping were all very nice and helpful, though with so many people staying at the hotel, the place felt rushed and crowded. If the hotel was not as crowded, I probably would have given a 5 star rating, but with the small room, the lack of towels, and the general overcrowdiness, I only awarded 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
west point, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

16 year anniversary and birthday long weekend, decided to splurge... very sad that we spent SO MUCH MONEY for this. did not get the "ritz" experience we've had at other places like orlando, vegas and overseas. (btw: everything was closed for "good/holy friday", even casinos... our trip to bio bay was cancelled for weather and same goes with scuba trip... boo).

beach and pool area: there was rain early in the day and i understand that cleaning up towels and garbage is a huge job. however, people hog up spots at the pool and it was impossible to find seats. we finally sat on wet chairs with NO padding or towels because the guys kept saying, in a minute. people lay towels down and leave all day. it's ridiculous. got drinks and quesadillas, so WATERED down and expensive. plus the sauce spilled out and the quesadillas were soggy. bummer. kids were running everywhere, splashing me from the fountain. people with money are lazy and left their garbage everywhere.

spa experience: we booked for a couple's massage. that part was fabulous. however, we had higher expectations of the facilities. they were run down and NOT up to par at all. the women's facility was filthy. the 3 workers stood outside the locker rooms talking and not cleaning up the areas. there were used towels everywhere. i had to open up the drawers to look for a hairdryer and the showers had opened/used products in there. so upset. on top of that, the dry sauna was not hot, it took about 40 minutes to start sweating until we finally found the guy and asked him what was wrong with it. then, we tried to use the hot tub in the morning and it was scalding hot. we couldn't use it. the man tried to cool it off. we decided instead to come back a few hours later after swimming. it was still incredibly hot, like dangerously hot. as we were leaving, they asked how everything was and i said that i thought someone would get hurt using it... they ran in to check it out and we left. really bummed. $420 for a 50 minute couples spa, just fyi (and another thing: they offered us the massage oil smells, we chose lemongrass, then she said, it's 20.00 extra. so that's 40 bucks more. should have said, for 20 more you can have... and i would have said, no thank you, not the other way around...) (20% gratuity is included automatically)

did have breakfast buffet: 30 per person. coffees at coffee bar were around 10.

airplanes are flying over all day long, it's next to the airport. the location is iffy. to be honest, a lot of puerto rico is scary. we saw SO MANY police everywhere we went that was touristy. not sure why. one block off from this hotel and others down by the strip there is a lot of poverty. homeless people, graffiti and run down buildings and beggars on most corners. just be prepared. they've been hit by the economy pretty hard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Let's just start by saying this ... it's just okay.. nothing superb to even mention other than the things that you expect to be nice when you travel.

I work for Marriott Hotels which actually own Ritz Carlton. I travelled in the month of Feb. around the 28th. The weather was perfect, especially coming from the cold. When my husband and I arrived we were embraced with a beautiful lobby ( which is small ) and our desk clerk just basically checked us in. I didn't notice anything about the arrival experience that made me say they have customer service down pack. They did offer wine/champagne at check-in, however I think this is due to the magnitude of guest they have checking in and the lobby area is so small without any seating. They do this as a gesture just in case there is a wait for you to get checked in.

My room was okay but not worth 399 pls. tax & resort fee a night. I honeslty felt like I had to leave out of my hotel to enjoy myself and especially not the area. It's urban for the most part I wouldn't say violent or ghetto or the hood. It feels like you are probably walking around your local neighborhood at home. You will see a Dennys, Walgreens, TGI Fridays and etc. There is a nice resturant near by named " Made in Puerto Rico ". They have excellent sangria. As far as the hotel resturants I felt like they were over priced and booshey. I felt like certain people would just come downstairs trying to be fancy with no where to go lol. I paid a tip everyday honestly to have a beach chair made for me. I had no problem with this because the tenants at the beach are great and friendly, however I would think after staying for 6 days after the second day my face would have been known and the handout for the tip would stop ... but no I tipped 5 bucks each day for me and my husband to have a beach chair.

I stopped at the Renissance La Concha just to check it out ... and my jaw dropped ... It looks great and it had my dream destination written all over it.. it did seem a little upbeat for me, however the service was impeccable and I wasn't even staying there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!