“Outstanding performance..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
“Outstanding performance..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

All around enjoyable experience, quality and service you would expect from a Ritz Carlton. Taxi opened the door for us, we said hello to the bellman. I dont remember telling him our name, but as we walked in the manager was walking up to us greeting us by name, escorting us to the check in desk and offering us wine/champagne. Check in was fast and bags in room before we got there. Would definitely stay with them again.

Room Tip: Money talks!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

At check in I was handed a glass of champagne. My husband was handed a glass of papaya juice (he does not drink). Offering the choice was thoughtful.

The hotel is physically impressive. Very close to the airport but not so close that you will be disturbed by loud planes while lounging at the pool. Our room was lovely with all the immensities that one could possibly need. The pool was very accommodating and the beach inviting.

The staff, from the front door to the wait staff were friendly and willing to help at every turn. I had two small issues; First was the concierge. Our plan was to go horseback riding on the beach, on the Island of Vieques which I requested in our pre-arrival email. For reasons unknown, they were unable to fulfill this request. We made our own plans that turned out wonderfully. Our second issue was with housekeeping. Upon our return after the first cleaning I was appalled to find jewelry that I left on my bedside was gathered and piled in a ball off to the side. This doesn't sound like such a horrible situation however, I had placed one of the items, a delicate necklace, down purposefully because it tangles very easily. I am still working on untangling it (I know, it could have been worse :o). ALSO, our toiletries were piled on top of each other and gathered into the bathroom glasses (that we NEVER use. I don't care what hotel we are in). My eye medication was at the bottom of the same glass with my husbands personal nose hair trimmers...YUK! Certainly not the worst thing to happen but here was no reason to pile everything on top of each other like that. We are not messy people nor are we nit-pickers. This just seemed over the top.

Overall it was a lovely stay and I would absolutely be back

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a six night stay at this hotel and we had a very relaxing time. Here's what I can tell you about the Ritz in San Juan. It is a five minute ride from the airport which is so nice I have to say. No, you won't hear any airplanes at night while you sleep it's very quiet. During the day we saw more helicopters than planes. The room itself is your basic hotel room. Walk in to the room, bathroom is on the right closet on the left walk a few steps more and there is the TV on the mini bar console to the left and a bed to the right with two end tables and next to the mini bar console is a desk and chair. We opted for ocean front with a king size bed. The ocean front was nice, but during our stay the wind was so extreme that we really couldn't sit out there, the view was good though. All rooms have been renovated recently, however they didn't update the carpet (at least I can't imagine that they did) - in our room the carpet was worn and stained. The bathroom has a granite countertop, a lighted magnifying mirror, and a big framed mirror. The toilet is in it's own little room with a slatted door to separate it from the main bathroom and then there is a basic tub/shower. Room service was very good - every day the room was cleaned and every night turn down service which I loved - I love coming into a neat room where the bed looks so comfy and welcoming. And the bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows from which to choose to accommodate your comfort level. We got complimentary water daily which was nice. One day we took a bottle of Fiji water out of the refrigerator and it was never replaced - so I don't think they paid too much attention to that. Basically, the room is your standard room. I did find that when the rooms are cleaned the door to the room is left open which I understand, but this allowed mosquitos to get into the room - the first night there we had 4 mosquitos in the room, and then after that we only saw one other. Not a huge deal, but bring your 'OFF' or bug repellant of choice, because there are mosquitos. Although friends of ours staying in Rio del Mar claimed that they never saw a mosquito or any insect for that matter. I wish that was the case in my experience. Overall the hotel was nice. The restaurants in the hotel are quite good and extremely expensive. I don't think we've ever paid so much for breakfast. BLT is a steak house and it was very good and the italian place Il Mulino (I think) was excellent. Just be prepared to pay a lot of money at all restaurants in the hotel. We didn't use the spa or the fitness center, but we walked by the fitness center, and it looked pretty nice. There are tennis courts as well which looked nice too. At the beach, which is a pretty nice beach, there are boogie board rentals and surfing lessons you can take. They also have jet ski and kayak rentals too. The waves when we were there were pretty decent. They have pool and beach staff that will set you up wherever you want and after 11:30 they have service for anything you would like from the bar. They have water stations as well so that you can get water for yourself any time. The pool attracted the kids (of course) and it looked really nice. I never swam in it, just sat by it and observed all the people. Gets crowded quickly and people set themselves up early but don't worry, the pool staff will find you a spot to your liking. It's a pretty low key hotel which is what we wanted - there is a small casino in the hotel if you like to gamble (which we don't) but even that was low key. And if you're curious how to dress...we saw people dressed way up to people who wore polo shirts and shorts. As long as you dress nicely, I don't think it matters. I wore jean capris with a nice top and dress sandals most nights and my husband wore either jeans or khaki's (sp?) with a short sleeve button up and sandals - I think he wore shorts out to dinner only once and that was to Old San Juan. Bottom line: We would definitely stay at this hotel again. The staff were very nice, the rooms were quiet and comfortable, and the location was great. It's great for business, couples, families, friends and if you're traveling solo - we saw an example of all during our stay, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. We definitely did! Hope you do too!

Portland Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This place offers the high end service once would expect from this named hotel. The lower end rooms are not spacious, the breakfast good, the dinner in Mares OK , very kid friendly. Beaches are OK. The internet coverage in the rooms by the beach end was spotty,

Room Tip: Go for a room that is closer to the elevators in the main wing (not the sides) the elevators are in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Melville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hotel is a 5 minute ride from the airport. Check in was smooth. Staff very professional and gracious. I give the front desk/Concierge and A. They were top notch. The room was a bit disapointing. Rooms are on the small side. If you don't have a balcony the windows don"t open (most rooms have no balcony). The furnishings were on the old side, the dresser was a joke (too small and you thought the drawer was going to fall onto you each time you opened it. Bathroom was ok as was the closet. The lighting in the bathrooms was poor. In both rooms the women complained that they had trouble putting on make up due to the lighting (and that was with a make up mirror). Overall the room was fair.
The pool was very crowed (presidents week). Plenty of staff at the pool to help you get set up. The wait service at the pool was VERY slow. If you ordered a drink it would take 15- 25 minutes to get it. It was strange, there were many servers, but it was the slowest service you could possibly get. The pool was in need of upkeep as well. For our entire trip there was a light bulb hanging off the steps that you use to go into the pool. There were tiles in disrepair around the pool area (some which were dangerous). The Hot tub was not hot, barely warm and filthy. It was more like a luke warm bath.
I would highly recommend a cabana if you go at a busy time. They are $250 and hard to get, but makes the day much more pleasant. However, even there the service was somewhat slow.
The beach was nice, clean, plenty of service and the beach that the hotel is on is wonderful.

They had pitchers of lemon water and oranges all around the pool area. That was a nice touch.
We ate at Mares for breakfast. The hostesses were very kind and welcoming. The staff was friendly and warm, but the service was on the slow side and not attentive. The food was good.
We also ate at BLT and enjoyed it. A very pretty restaurant, food was good and the service was fine. We all loved the bread. It was worthwhile to go just for the bread.
The lobby was well appointed and the Casino was very convenient.
We would return to the Ritz Carlton San Juan, but would be open to staying elsewhere. They did not blow us away by any means.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a hotel to stay at when you are "passing through" Puerto Rico. It is a beautiful property, and the staff is excellent... but the location is not so great.

We have stayed here every year for the past 8 years... usually for a couple of days. It is close to the airport, so if you are flying in late, or leaving early, it is in a great location. BLT and IL Molino are two great restaurants and the pool scene is fun. The beach is beautiful, and makes for a great stroll or dip in the ocean.

However, I do not recommend wandering off the property on the streets. Traffic is horrible and everything seems kind of run down.

Back to the hotel. The rooms are comfortable, it has a great spa and work out center and great restaurants on the property.

Overall, I love staying here when it is only a couple of days and when I need to be close to the airport.

Room Tip: Stay in a high room with either a pool or ocean view. Do not pick a city view as you will be very d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This San Juan property is beautiful, and the cresent beach is worth the stay. Our experience with the staff was that they were very anxious to please and make our stay a great one. We were greeted at check-in with an offer of champagne and the front desk was able to give us a room upgrade due to our Marriott Rewards status.
This is not, however, a dazzling movie set type of hotel. It does show its age in some ways (hallway carpet should be replaced) and the concrete lions at the pool are the worse for wear. The windows do not open and this can matter since the humidity is high. There is no heat in the hotel (at all).
What is very special is the lush and perfectly kept grounds which are full of birds and tree frogs (who sing at night). Also, the room service food is several notches above the average.
Note: There is a policy to allow guests to "stake out" their pool-side chairs well in advance. By 7:00 a.m. large groups have taken all of the chairs closest to the pool, much to the surprise of many other guests. You are not allowed to sit in one of these reserved chairs even if the guests use them many hours later. This was not appreciated by several couples who were insulted when they were offered an alternative near a fountain where birds gather to bathe. This is something that management really might reconsider since it precludes guests who do not know this policy from being able to enjoy the pool area.
I would certainly go back for the beach. To the guests who complain about the cost, all I can say is that there are no illusions about the price and that if you require exclusive accomodations it will cost far more but is available not far away from this Ritz.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#3 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 1,089 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!