“Great service and good enough rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6961 Ave of the Governors, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
Gainesville, Florida
“Great service and good enough rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The location of this Ritz is very convenient to most things visitors will want to see and do while in San Juan. The beach is nothing super special but it is not super busy. At least it wasn't in the late afternoon. I stayed here with my husband who was in San Juan on business so we did not get to use the pool facilities during the day, but in the late afternoon/early evening it was very nice to sit by the pool with a drink and relax for a bit. The pool was never overly crowded and the area was well maintained. We also sat in the main lobby bar to relax and check emails and they provide a very nice complimentary snack tray in the late afternoon which was a nice touch.

The service is what stood out for me. Everyone was very warm and helpful, especially Chef Jeremy who cooked my eggs every morning and remembered exactly how I liked them each day. We ate the breakfast buffet each day and there were plenty of healthy and not so healthy options available. Regardless of your diet choice each morning, you would have plenty to choose from. They also provided my husband with soy milk upon request. We ate dinner at Steak our first night there having arrived after 8pm. We had no reservation and were just tired and starving and don't even eat red meat, but they accommodated us and had plenty of fish and seafood options for us. The food was actually very good although the service was a bit slow. Our waiter cleared our plates but never returned to offer us dessert until it had grown so late we were just wanting to head to bed.

The rooms are good enough with comfy beds and lots of pillows. The AC worked great and the shower had decent water pressure. The room was clean and the carpets unstained. However I feel we wasted money upgrading to a pool view. We were on the second floor and although we did have a nice view of the pool, it was a bit awkward to have our curtains open since we were close enough to the ground floor that we would have been on full display while dressing in the mornings and evenings. So if you do pay for a pool view make sure to request a high floor. I will say that the rooms were very quiet. We never heard anything from any other room, and I know those rooms were occupied. In room wifi was also included for free which is not common in most upscale hotels. Also, if you are looking for outlets to charge your devices while in your room, they are on the side of the desk facing the TV and mini bar and are not easy to see if you aren't looking for them. We moaned and complained about the lack of accessible outlets for the first two nights because I hadn't seen these outlets.

The hotel felt very secure and the doormen were big and burly enough to discourage anyone from trying to get past who might be criminally inclined. Overall I would say the service is what really stood out. Everyone was very friendly, helpful, and warm. This is not the nicest hotel or even the nicest Ritz I have ever stayed in, but it's definitely worth staying here if you are in San Juan.

Room Tip: If choosing a pool view, request a higher floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1,841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Middletown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a great time at this beautiful resort. Perfect place to take pictures, enjoy some surf, get some drinks, and enjoy life. The grounds of the resort were amazing, service was amazing and the beach/ocean temp was perfect. What a great time we had ... which was to be expected. Enjoy!

Room Tip: just make sure you book here!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Tequesta, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a very lovely stay for 3 nights at the Ritz. This was our first overnight trip in Puerto Rico after having visited via cruise ship on prior visits.

Our first impressions upon arrival was that the entrance was not as grand as we would have expected...in fact, my husband circled around thinking he must have missed the hotel entrance but no, that was it. Guess he was expecting some long, tree-lined, gated, dramatic entry...

Yes, the bellman/doormen were on their toes welcoming us warmly and when we entered the lobby, it did feel like "a Ritz". We were unable to enjoy what would have been an impressive view through the huge glass wall looking out toward the beach because it was rainy. Warm welcome at the desk after a few moments waiting. We were offered and presented with some Chardonnay which is always a nice touch.

We had a nice room on the 5th floor with a balcony & a slight ocean view...more of a pool/grassy area view though...room was fine, understated elegance. Bathroom quite standard...would have expected a separate shower at this level of hotel however but it was just a "normal" shower/tub combo. We had to ask for additional shampoo/conditioner as the housekeeper did not leave any on the 2nd day...then she left us about 6 bottles of each....(??) I liked the inroom coffee pot set up which was very conveniently laid out in the drawer. They were very generous leaving the water bottles in the room as well as with the ones in the lobby.

Things that make me say it was not perfect:

Bottom of pool stained/discolored
Pool shower areas always seemed dirty (yes with sand, but need to sweep @ Ritz!)
Gaping Hole in the roof of the covered patio/ballroom space...looked like it had been torn a while
Elevator brass scratched/discolored
Stingey with the toiletries
Dead plant in the elevator area on 5th floor...dead leaves sat on table entire stay
No answer when phoning for car valet

We actually had very cloudy & overcast weather & only made it to the pool for about 15 minutes before getting rained out....however service by the pool attendant was very good, albeit brief.

We walked the beach in the mornings....going to the right and it was nearly empty & very clean. There were a few surfers out each day in between the Ritz & Courtyard (which looked quite impressive BTW).

We had drinks at the pool/beach restaurant....eh, nothing special.....not polished...just didn't feel like a Ritz pool bar/restaurant....but the prices did!

We had drinks at the lobby bar & they had entertainment in there during the evenings which was kinda cheesy but we chalked it up to local preference. Service was good & bartender did a nice job.

We had dinner in BLT & it was pricey & decent but not as good as the dining downtown. We were tempted to go to IlMulino as we have been to the one in Miami area & LOVED it, but we wanted to try other places....looked like a lovely atmosphere.

Had zero luck in the casino but the service & atmosphere was fine but expected it to be more elegant.

We took taxi's both evenings we went to Old San Juan and it was a fixed rate of $21 each way. LOVED our meal at Marmalade & thought Dragonfly was just ok (food was very good; service iffy).

We were glad we had a car even though we took cabs at night....we explored on our own during the days, especially since weather was not great. If you take a left out of hotel, there is a nice drive along the shore line & there are bike trails & lots of open air markets with locals selling food cooked on open fires & lots of places to get a beer...

I realize my complaints are relatively minor but I feel at this level and price point, there is very little room for these types of issues. The hotel was fine but did not leave me anxious for a return visit.

Room Tip: A balcony really adds to the rooms' appeal.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Queens, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were there in December. The property is immaculate. The service is second to none. The rooms are very nice, comfortable and they are cleaned every morning and evening when there is turn down service. They leave you little chocolates on your night stand too!

The one complaint that I had was that there are too many palm trees by the pool. I am a sun lover and in my opinion there isn't enough sun areas by the pool. You have to keep changing chairs to stay in the sun. But-the beach is great. There is waiter/waitress service on the beach. They have plenty of chaises on the beach.

The fitness center and spa is great. I can't say that I have stayed in a hotel that had a better gym. They have a co-ed hot tub and sauna which you do not find in many places.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here in December of 2012 and had nothing bad to say about the property. I was greeted as soon as I pulled up, and everything was pretty much perfect the entire stay. The service was outstanding, the rooms were very well maintained and cleaned, the bar staff was great, pool was gorgeous, and fitness facility was outstanding. The hotel is close to the airport and on the beach, so very easy to get to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton from 12.30.12-1.4.13. The hotel is nice/clean and very close to the airport, but I never heard any planes etc... and we kept the door to the balcony open each night so we could hear the waves. The area around the hotel is seedy at best. The other hotels have some nice restaurants, but besides that is seems run down. 10 minute cab ride to Old San Juan which has great dining options - Dragonfly was our fav!

I travel a lot for work and pleasure and must be honest, I expect more from a Ritz Carlton. There were not a lot of servers at the pool so at times you would wait a good amount of time (when they did come, they were very friendly). We were there over a very busy weekend so I would have expected them to staff up. There were other small things... showers at beach entrance were always dirty, self-serve water was in a dinky cone cup, lunch at the pool was served with plastic silverware, chairs at the pool/beach are on top of each other... very crowded. For the first few days we were there, the a la carte breakfast place was closed each morning and the only option was the full buffet served in the meeting space which seemed dark and unfriendly. They did have complimentary coffee which was nice. I realize these are all small things, but I am use to being blown away at the Ritz/4 Seasons Hotels.

Our room was fabulous, we had a corner King/Oceanfront Room -- bed was to die for and the bathroom was grand. If you can get a balcony it is nice to have. I am platinum at Marriott and there was no Club Level or Welcome gift. Not a huge deal, but good to know.

We ate at BLT one night.... delicous and expensive, as expected. We had lunch at the pool twice and I was not impressed.

San Juan itself is not your typical island... its a nice beach in a city. I prefer the off the beaten path/more "island like" destinations. We went to the Rainforest one day (rented a car and did it on our own) which was a blast! We rented a car from Enterprise at the hotel - easy and reasonable.

All in all, it was a nice vacation... but I would not return to this hotel for the $$ they charge.

Room Tip: We had a balcony which was nice... did not seem to be many balcony rooms so ask for one in advance.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montgomery Village, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went there to celebrate our anniversary after not visiting the island for many years. Not bad. We had a great time. The food and service was great. The spa was under renovation, so we missed that. If you are looking for a good place to stay in San Juan, particularly Isla Verde, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!