“Fabulous in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brown Horse Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winster
Brown Horse Inn
You added Brown Horse Inn to your Saves list
A5074, Winster LA23 3NR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Winster
Durham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Booked as a Wowcher deal, we'd have paid double and it wouldn't have been enough!! This really is a wonderful pub, restaurant and place to stay. Everything was absolutely spotless, attention to detail was second to none, staff were very friendly and helpful and after 2 nights in a shabby chic,immaculate and perfectly situated room, we felt chilled and relaxed and at the same time very reluctant to leave!! This place is a haven, just 3 miles out of Bowness in the beautiful countryside village of Winster. If it's a little r n r you need, this is the place you are going to get it. We'll definitely be back!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Brown Horse Inn is a lovely hotel which is a good distance from anywhere to be away from the hustle and bustle, while being close enough to Bowness to be able to visit the local attractions. Because I don't drive I had to get a cab to Bowness, but that only came to £8 and only took about 5 minutes.

The hotel is in a quiet area surrounded by fields and I found this to be idealic. The rooms are lovely, clean and well set out. The bed was very comfy too. The only complaints I have about the room are no water left for guests and there is no wifi in the room I was in. But they are only minor moans as I would happily stay here again.

The breakfast choice is great and tastes fantastic. The food at this hotel was of a high calibre and I can't complain about what I had and the choice that was on offer. It is not just your run of the mill food, but the kind of food I would get for my wife if I was wining and dining her.

Even with all of that above the praise does not stop there. I could not speak highly enough of the staff. They were always helpful, friendly and never rude. Good customer care is one of those things you expect to get and is not always rewarded by employers. I hope these do, as good customer care only adds to a stay and bad always takes away. these were excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Heswall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I can't recommend this place highly enough. Awesome atmosphere, really great food, excellent own brewed beers and very helpful/friendly staff. We stayed in the South Springfield cottage next to the pub/hotel and we loved it. The location is perfect and only a short drive into Bowness with great walks in all directions. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for a family lunch & really enjoyed it; quick service & great food - this is what modern pub food should be about - thank you. Planning to stay shortly hope that lives up to the lunch - I sure it will.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ROTHERHAM, ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here with my wife for Easter bank holiday...
I was worries when I booked this with it being a pub, that we would be above the pub and hear everything from downstairs, as I am aware that this is a very busy and popular country pub for all the right reasons..
On our arrival we were met by a lovely young chap who was very friendly and couldn't do enough for us..
We were shown to our room, which to our delight was actually to the side of the pub in a tastefully built extension..
Our room had its own access in or out via a little patio area to the front. This meant that you could return home at any hour and not have to go through the pub.
The room had large one way privacy glass, this was delightful as I could lay on the bed in our room (number 8) and look out over the rolling countryside without anyone being able to look in.. BIG thumbs up from me..
The room itself was decorated very tastefully in a Provence shabby chic look..
Care had be taken to ensure that everything complimented each other.. The bed, dressing area and bathroom were all of good sizes..
The room had tea and coffee facilities and a free view tv..
We had breakfast both days, help yourself to cereal and toast and then order for a hearty breakfast of your choice from the menu..
We have been to Windermere several times a year for the last 10 years. We always stay in Bowness or Windermere.. This place is a couple of miles outside of Windermere so off the beaten track a little.. However because of that you get the peace and tranquility of what you would want from the lakes..
I would highly recommend this place to any friend or family member..
We will be retuning again soon..
A lovely relaxing visit..

• Stayed April 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Can't comment on the food. I stopped here for a swift pint and was pleasantly surprised to see that they brew their own beer. The ale selection was excellent and the beer I had was really nice. The person who served me (might have been owner or manager) was knowledgeable about the beer and friendly. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Do sample the ales!