“Lovely mid-week break” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ireland
“Lovely mid-week break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife, baby & I really enjoyed a 3 nights stay in this hotel. The weather was great, so the outdoor seating area and green area overlooking the estuary were fabulous. So, the really good:
- our rooms were great. Spacious, clean, great views.
- the staff were all very friendly and welcoming.
- the pool and gym facilities were excellent.
- the dry dock bar, outdoor decking and green area were lovely areas to relax.
- proximity to the Wexford heritage park and Wexford town were brilliant.
So the bad:
- the food. Really isn't very good. The main restaurant served up some dodgy food. It'd fill you up, but that's about it. The dry dock bar was ok.
So, if you're happy to stick with burgers or mainstream bar food in the hotel (or eat somewhere else), then this hotel is really great for families and couples.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Ray_Art,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to Ferrycarrig Hotel. We are truly delighted that you as a family enjoyed our facilities with friendly welcoming staff. We very much appreciate feedback be it positive or negative; this helps to assist us with reviewing and improving hotel services. As a direct consequence of your feedback we have met with our Food and Beverage team and outlined your concerns, naturally they are hugely disappointed that their department has fallen short on attention to detail to you our valued guest. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you to Ferrycarrig at some future date.

Kind Regards,
Jeanette O’Keeffe,
_____________________________________________________________________________
Ferrycarrig Hotel values genuine feedback from our guests which help us stay focused on delivering customer care. It forms part of our on-going review of standards and quality service in the Ferrycarrig Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Killeigh, Offaly, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at Ferrycarrig last April and had a lovely time, rooms very good standard, food in restaurant top class and bar food good too, staff very friendly and helpful. Will def visit again. nice place to relax.

Room Tip: Ask for room with lake view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Trish C,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of us here at Ferrycarrig. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Kind Regard,

Jeanette O’Keeffe
General Manager.

________________________________________________________________________________
Geneva, SWI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

As I was attending a recent concert in Wexford, I booked 3 rooms at the Ferrycarrig for myself and my husband, my parents and my sister. I booked way back earlier this year. The rate for the two deluxe rooms was Euro 140 per room per night with breakfast. The single room was Euro 75 per night also with breakfast.
Plenty of parking available particularly on the upper level car park, and a set down area is located just opposite the front door. The check in area was nice and definitely looked like it was revamped recently. Check in was pleasant and although check-in is not until 4pm, our rooms were available at 3.15. All rooms were located on reception level which is actually level 3. We all went to our rooms and naturally had a nose around each one to see if there were any differences in layout or size (which there wasn't). I have to say I was surprised as some of the reviews on TA had led me not to expect very much. Both my room and that of my parents were large with balconies overlooking the Slaney estuary. Not only did these rooms have large and extremely comfortable beds, but there was also a single bed in each room too. The room of my sister (the single) was actually a double room and it too had a balcony overlooking the Slaney.
The decor was not THAT bad - just perhaps a little unimaginative. Nothing looked shabby and it was spotlessly clean.
The room was equipped with phone, TV (could not find the remote), tea/coffee facilities, complimentary water, robes, iron and ironing board. Furniture included a table with 2 chairs and a sofa.
The bathroom, in fairness, definitely needs an update. While also very clean and equipped with hairdrier and simple toiletries, etc. it needs to be brought up to date. But that is purely a cosmetic comment I am making. What we required of a bathroom it provided.
We did not eat at the dry dock so we cannot comment on the food. I agree with some other reviewers who mention the wasps, and yes we found the same problem. Wasps all around you. But we just went inside instead. Luckily, the Dry Dock has an adults only area so if you are staying there without children, it is a nice haven to sit in and have a drink quietly. Otherwise the main area of the Dry Dock - particularly around teatime (5-7pm) - is just full of kids and buggies!
The guests during our stay were predominantly families and extended families. So, if peace and tranquility is what you are looking for, you may not be too happy. From what I observed these families seemed to be having a good time anyhow.
Breakfast was served each morning in Reeds Restaurant. You have to wait to be seated and since breakfast is served until 10.30am, if you arrive anytime after 9am, you may have to wait! Luckily, we didn't on the two mornings we took breakfast.
Breakfast was the usual self service - cereals, porridge, fruit salad, yogurts, muffins, croissants, brown bread, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and black and white pudding. Quality was perfectly fine. Tea and coffee and toast are served at the table. There is also a short à la carte breakfast menu of kippers, poached eggs, etc. if guests prefer. My sister on both mornings tried this option and again, was perfectly good.
All in all I believe that my stay at the Ferrycarrig was a pleasant one; there is nothing that would prevent me from returning. The bill for the stay was correct for what service and accommodation we received. Though, I would have to say, I don't think I would have been too happy to pay any more that what I did.
We did not avail of the on-site leisure club so cannot comment.
All staff encountered were very nice - particular mention of Siobhan in Reeds Restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
nhearne, Front Office Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear FiFiLipton,

Thank you for taking the time to supply us with some feedback from your recent stay at Ferrycarrig Hotel.

We are consistently reinvesting in the property on an annual basis. We have completed in January of this year our main Reception area, ballroom area and 10 bedrooms on our adult only floor. I would like to assure you that we have gone to great lengths with our Pest Control company to ensure that we have taken every possible measure in combating any seasonal insects.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ferrycarrig Hotel,

Regards

____________________________________________________________________________
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I got married here earlier in the year and thanks in small part to the efforts of the staff we had a perfect day. The condition of the hotel was faultless and the staff really went above and beyond - nothing was too much trouble, even helping smarten up buttonholes for the bridal party ahead of the start of the ceremony. The setup of the rooms was was impeccable, and arranged exactly as we requested.

The rooms are fantastic, and all face the river. Naturally we stayed in the bridal suite the night of the wedding, but I stayed in a regular room the preceding night, and it was clean and modern with a lovely view of the river Slaney.

The food was also superb. Having eaten in the restaurant to decide on our menu and been extremely impressed with the quality and presentation, I was sceptical that it would carry through when serving 100 guests. Every person I spoke to said the food was superb and that they'd thoroughly enjoyed their meal. Seconds (and thirds) were readily available for our hungrier guests, and the special work and effort that went into the desserts for the head table was particularly impressive.

I lost count of the number of people who, the following day, told us it was the best wedding they had ever attended, and the staff and venue in general deserve a big part of that credit. Fantastic hotel and one I have no hesitation recommending to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
nhearne, Front Office Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Tony F

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

We are genuinely delighted to read your review. We are very fortunate to have a team who will always try to go above & beyond. It is our absolute pleasure that you & your guests had a wonderful day and created some beautiful memories of this very special occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ferrycarrig Hotel and assure you of our personal attention at all times,

Kindest Regards

Front Office Manager.
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I were lucky enough to stay at Ferrycarrig for a night in August. My only regret is that we could not stay longer. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and nothing seemed to much bother. There is a lovely welcoming atmosphere to this place. Our room had a great view of the river and we were reluctant to head out. I am gluten intolerant and there was range of items I could eat. This is something that I have found lacking in other hotel menus in Ireland. The hamburger I had was one of the best I have ever had, it was one of those meals you keep thinking about afterwards. I know that hubbie is already sick of hearing about it. The breakfast was of a high standard and gluten free was not a problem. The homemade style jam and soaked dried fruit were my favourites there. I travel a lot through work and outside work and have stayed in a range of hotels. The Ferrycarrig is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. No sign of any flies or the wasps mentioned in other reviews and no problems with noise. The rooms did seem to have thick walls and I couldn't hear the music from the bar when I did head to bed. I didn't try the spa or pool so can't comment on these or the gym. You do need a car to head into Wexford as it is too far to walk.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view are awesome. I think we were in the higher rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel,

It was our great pleasure to welcome you Ferrycarrig Hotel and Wexford. We are delighted to read such high praise. We are very fortunate to have a great team.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our gluten intolerant options and you thoroughly enjoyed the 'Hamburger'. It means a great deal to us all to know that we managed to exceed your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay on your next visit.

Kind Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had an excellent stay here myself hubby and 2 daughters aged 3 and 7 , both loved the kids club and giggles the clown , food was excellent , staff couldn't do enough for us and great location we had 3 great days out of hotel at secret valley farm , wells castle and heritage park , would definitely stay here again plus view from room was out of this world , get room with balcony

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Mccab,

Thank you most kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. We are truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, there are many exciting attractions throughout Wexford for families and individuals to enjoy.

Thank you for recognising the hard work of our staff & wonderful location, it is great to hear such lovely feedback from our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon,

Kind Regards,

wicklow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a great hotel for a relaxing break. Rooms and facilities are top class. Bar food is very good. The only let down was the restaurant. We had pre-booked with reception on arrival, but the restaurant never recieved booking. The girl who greeted us done a very good job of sorting this. The food was nicely presented, but flavours and textures were a let down and portions were not great. The steak was a little tough, and when we bought it to servers attention her attitude left a lot to be desired. All in all we will be back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
nhearne, Front Office Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Far1916

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit.

I am very sorry that you encountered any inconvenience with your dinner reservation and during dinner service in Reeds Restaurant. We very much appreciate feedback be it positive or negative; this helps to assist us with reviewing and improving hotel services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ferrycarrig Hotel.

Regards

____________________________________________________________________________

Been to Ferrycarrig Hotel? Share your experiences!