“On the cusp” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ferrycarrig
Edmonton, Canada
“On the cusp”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a nice hotel, and could be truly great, but...
The hotel itself was quite nice, the room was nice enough. There was a very nice deck out to the river from our room that we could sit on & enjoy the lovely view. The service was a bit lacking. Our first breakfast, our tea/coffee didn't arrive until after we had been to the buffet twice. At dinner, two of our four meals came so late that the meals were finished before the rest arrived- took 55 minutes for the entrees to arrive. Dessert did not arrive for one of us, and we had to ask for it, because the waiter did not notice. We ate 5 meals at their different restaurants, and from observation, I'd say the problem is that they have too many servers working the same table. You order with one person, but someone else drops it off, and someone else takes away the plates... and so no one notices when only half your meal has arrived, because they have no idea what you ordered. The staff seemed a bit run off their feet at dinner, and they were back working the morning shift again, so maybe they are somewhat understaffed.

My biggest beef with this hotel was their somewhat schizophrenic attitude towards children. There is a sign at the pub restaurant that says something like "Parents: Help us to control your children." A sign in the hallway about noise, and a sign at the breakfast buffet that says that children are to remain seated at all times. My ten year old was really not interested in having us pick out her food, so we broke that rule. Children were not allowed in the pool after about 6pm, and not allowed in the hot tub at all. There was also a write up in the book in the hotel room about their policies on children. My kids are older now, so none of this was a problem (except for the pool restrictions) but I just felt on edge and unwelcome as the parent of children. I've been to a lot of very nice hotels, and no one wants crazy, out-of-control children at them, but I don't think I've ever see this sort of rude signage about it. But then, on the other hand, the hotel has a kid's club, and a climber outside- so they must want children there? It seemed incongruent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Reader12,

Thank you for taking the time to supply us with some feedback from your recent stay at Ferrycarrig Hotel. We genuinely appreciate and respect your comments, as it is primarily through feedback that we can continue to exceed the expectations of our valuable customers.

It is unfortunate that your recent stay at Ferrycarrig did not meet your expectations and for this I sincerely apologise. We pride ourselves on providing customers’ with excellent facilities, services and renowned dining. I have addressed the issues highlighted in your review with the restaurant please be assured that your experience was an exception, and not what our customers have come to expect from our hotel.
We are a family friendly hotel accommodating numerous children throughout the year. To help prevent unnecessary accidents we do ask parents to help us ensure their children do not run around the bar and restaurant. We appreciate not all children do this. With due care for both guests, and employees who may be carrying trays with hot food /drinks or glasses, our aim is to ensure the safety of all people be it children/adults and staff alike, incorporating health and safety best practice. The signage on the bedroom corridor reading “out of respect for other guests, we would ask to keep noise to a minimum on the corridor” is not aimed at children but is referring to all guests retiring to their rooms late at night.

Again, my sincere thanks for taking the time in reviewing Ferrycarrig and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming back to Ferrycarrig in the near future.

Kind Regard,

_____________________________________________________________________________

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Wicklow, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

From the moment we arrived at reception and the friendly receptionist this was an enjoyable experience.Our room was upgraded and looking out on the Slaney Estuary plus the great food and staff who enjoy their work made this visit memorable for us.We look forward to going back again.We tried for new year's but sadly booked out!

Room Tip: a room looking out on the river
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear sean g,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on our hotel and share your experience with others. I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. It is great to read that you received excellent value while staying in our deluxe room with a balcony and stunning views of the Slaney Estuary, which I am sure added to your overall experience along with the superb facilities on offer throughout the hotel. I have passed your comments on to the team who will be delighted that they were able to help make your break a memorable one.
I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming back to Ferrycarrig in the near future

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a very nice few days in this hotel, the staff were very helpful and friendly. We had great food in both the bar and the restaurant. The best part about this hotel has to be the location.. On the banks of The Slaney river,it was stunning and helped by the lovely October sunshine. We will definately be back

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear dubmulders,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in relation to your recent visit to Ferrycarrig. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the fantastic views and friendly, helpful service you’re received during your stay. We are fortunate to have such a wonderful location set on the banks of the Slaney Esturary with the hotel offering this view throughout the building. We are also delighted you enjoyed the food both our restaurant and bar.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming back to Ferrycarrig in the near future.

Kind regards,
General Manager.
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just returned from a 2 night break in The Ferrycarrig and I was very impressed by it.The hotel is in a beautiful setting on the river Slaney and I would recommend trying to get one of the rooms with the balcony overlooking it.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and went out of there way to keep to ensure that we were looked after.
The only thing I expect from my hotel room is that it is clean and comfortable and I have to say that The Ferrycarrig Hotel ticked both these boxes.
Only reason I'm not given this a rating of 5 is that I was disappointed with the bar food we had on the Friday night and ended up going into Wexford Town on Saturday to eat.

Room Tip: Try get a room with a balcony over the river, we were charged an extra Eur 40.00 for this so althoug...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear mark d,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment in relation to your recent stay at Ferrycarrig. We are truly delighted you enjoyed your time with us. Our location is magnificent with that wonderful view of the Slaney Estuary - a well designed property to give all aspects of the hotel this amazing view. It is great to read that you received excellent value while staying in our deluxe room with a balcony which I am sure added to your overall experience along with the superb facilities on offer throughout the hotel. I am delighted you found the staff to be very friendly, helpful and they went out of their way to ensure that you were looked after. However, I truly regret that you did not enjoy the barfood on Friday night and would welcome the opportunity to speak to you direct so that I can gain a better understanding of the circumstances that lead to your review. Please feel free to give me a call at your convenience.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Ferrycarrig in the near future.

Jeanette O'Keeffe,
Genreal Manager

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Recently we had a family reunion and stayed at The Ferrycarrig. We had a great time and enjoyed our night at the hotel even though it was very busy with a wedding. Our small family group initially felt crowded out as we were sitting in the lobby area but the wedding party moved on and the crowd control by the hotel was well managed and didn't interrupt our group.

The setting of the hotel is lovely and the views over the river are stunning. We ate in the hotel bar and food was straight forward but very good. My husband had the local fish and chips which he loved.

The location of the hotel was ideal for our family coming from Dublin Airport as it was a straight run down the N11. Parts of the hotel look like they could do with a face lift, our bedroom was standard but clean and comfortable, just a few small things let them down - next time I will bring my own shampoo and hairdryer as the hotel offering is B&B standard not 4 star. Staff in the hotel are a real asset and were very friendly and efficient. The breakfast next morning was excellent and just what was needed after a late night, we will definitely be back and would recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear octavia j,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We are truly delighted that you and your family enjoyed the Family Reunion. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff as being a real asset to the hotel to which I will convey this to the team at our next team briefing. As a team, we are all highly committed to providing superior friendly quality service to all our guests. Following your comments, we have investigated the possibility of upgrading our hairdryers to which will be considered in our next phase of renovations.

Look forward to your next return visit to Ferrycarrg Hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed here recently. This hotel is in a wonderful location, and the views from the bar & restaurant really take some beating. It’s a shame that there is almost an air of neglect about the place, with a lot of the features and fittings in need of an update / refurbishment. First off, our room. It was located on the lower ground floor. We were staying in a room that was located past the laundry, hr offices & a corridor filled with trolleys, cleaning products etc. We did feel a bit like reject residents, banished to the gloomy depths of this hotel. Our room ended up being OK. Nothing outstanding, but a good size, clean & with a decent sized bathroom. No frills or fuss, but we were not expecting bells and whistles! We had our lunch in their bar, which was very good. It is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon, with good food, a buzzy atmosphere, and of course, the wonderful views. Dinner that evening was a disaster. The food was dreadful. We sent back two dishes, and they were very good about comping us for one of the meals. We had been looking forward to the advertised "Flaming Friday" and had been told by the barman that it was indeed going ahead - only to be told once we arrived to the restaurant that it did not take place during the Summer? It was the end of September! I have to say we did have a pleasant stay, and breakfast was really good - the sunshine in their dinning room added to the experience. All in all, it was good, not great.

Room Tip: Ask not to be sent to a room down past their laundry!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
nhearne, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Verdell2010,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Ferrycarrig. We genuinely appreciated and respect your comments, as it is primarily through feedback that we can continue to exceed the expectation of our valuable customers.
It is very disappointing that your dining experience was not up to our highest possible standard. We all work extremely hard to ensure our guests expectations are not only reached but exceeded. I am saddened that we failed on this occasion.
I would be delighted to hear from you directly so that we may gain a better understanding of the circumstances leading to your review. Please be assured that we are committed to providing the very best of customer service and care, it is with this focus on excellence that we retain a high level of repeat guest.

Kind Regard,

_____________________________________________________________________________
Ferrycarrig Hotel values genuine feedback from our guests which help us stay focused on delivering customer care. It forms part of our on-going review of standards and quality service in the Ferrycarrig Hotel.;
Tipperary, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for a night recently. Arrived at 2.50pm to be told rooms would not be available until 4 and was offered complementary tea or coffee, I was annoyed at this as our intention was to use the spa early but its hard to open bags in reception to get out swimming gear. We went to the bar for coffee and I had to return to the car as I didn't know the reg number, when I returned to reception I could hear the receptionist telling the porter how rude we were and how we had thrown our bags on the ground in reception and stormed off. This was totally untrue and I took great exception to the receptionists attitude. She then told me that she would have our room in 10 mins and that she would ring my mobile. Guess what, this didn't happen and we had to wait until 4. On the landing going to our room I met a charming cleaning lady and I just asked her how long the room had been ready and she told me since about 1pm.There were a number of families who had also arrived before 4 and they were all made wait, they were also annoyed as their intention had been to use the pool area with the kids as well. I think this hotel has a policy of not letting people have their rooms until 4pm which seems strange to me. The receptionist also claimed that we were advised of this when booking, we were not. In short the attitude of the receprionist was unplesent and rude.
The room was excellent, the bar was great and we loved the adult only area, the lounge girl was plesent and chatty and very good at her job, I did get her name but have forgotten it. The food in the restaurant was excellent but 4 or 5 different waiters served us. Who do you tip?
The pool was fab but I did not like the idea of young kids(girls) in the gents changing room especially as there was a private area for them in the locker room.
Breakfast was excellent and overall the experience was a good one but the receptionists attitude after a 3 hour drive was not appreciated or deserved.
I have worked in the hotel business and rooms not available to guests until 4pm to me is unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferrycarrig
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
#3 of 6 in Wexford
4.0 of 5 stars 1,182 reviews
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Ferrycarrig Hotel? Share your experiences!