“Food was good and somewhat reasonably priced” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Asian, Seafood, Sandwiches
Cantwell, Alaska
“Food was good and somewhat reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've eaten here several times when visiting Chena Hot Springs. The food is good. We had a party of 7 and between us we tried calamari, hot wings, soups, salads, burgers, and the curry (both red and yellow). Everything was very good. Several mixed drinks were ordered as well and although light on the alcohol were very tasty.

We came at an early time (4:30pm) but with a party our size we had to wait at least 20 minutes. Staff was not overly friendly but was sufficient. The burgers, appetizers, salads, and soups were all reasonably priced. The entrees varied in price but were much more expensive than they would be elsewhere in Alaska. Since Chena grows their own vegetables this can be somewhat expected.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

47% Recommend
Methuen, Massachusetts
“Very homey, Very Alaska”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

After relaxing in the hot springs, with my husband and my daughter, we decided that we needed a bite to eat. My daughter is a college student at University of Alaska Fairbanks and she invited us to visit. We never would have ever found this place on our own. The restaurant was set up like a cabin; very homey, very cozy with moose and Indian decorations. There is a greenhouse on the premises which supplies the vegetables for the restaurant. The food was very fresh. My daughter and I ordered the chicken sandwich and both of us enjoyed it. When we were there, it was early evening, mid-July and the restaurant was not very crowded. Since we were leaving the state that evening, we did not have any alcohol so we can not comment on that.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Palisades, New York
“August 25th-27th”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

First let me start off by saying, don't come to Alaska at the end of August, it's the rainy season! But that didn't stop us from having the time of our lives!

Chena hot springs is something that has to be on your bucket list! The waters are absolutely amazing! What they do for your body is unreal! I'm from New York and we don't have much nature out there, so this whole trip was mind blowing.

Chena has its own road that you drive on for an hour to get to the resort. You are really stranded from civilization unless you want to drive an hour just to get on the main highway.

The rooms aren't modern but are just alright to get by. You really shouldnt spend enough time in the room to really complain about it. The beds were so comfy which was the best part about the rooms. All the water on the resort has sulfur in it which I am not used to and can't really get used to.

Going back to that whole stranded situation they really take advantage of you when it comes to prices. The food in the resturant is average nothing to die for but it was expensive. I had a turkey blt wrap it was like $12, but where else are you going to go to eat? There is the cafe that sells microwaveable sandwiches that are cheap but how many days can you eat those?

Besides that there are soooooo many things to do there! We went hiking every day, they have great great trails! We rented bikes one day and went mountain biking. The ice museum right here in the resort is really cool and it's a must see! Get the appletini it's definitely worth it! We toured the kennel, there must be 30 dogs there and they were so cute! There's canoes on beaver lake that actually has beavers! There's atv's and flight seeing tours which we unfortunately didn't do! And there's the auroiam, which is about a 15 min hike up hill but it has the most spectacular view to see the northern lights. The whole three days we were here we didn't see any lights because it rained the whole time which was a total bummer.

I am a huge wildlife fan and if you come to Alaska go to the Alaska zoo! I went and saw all Alaska wildlife there and I'm happy I did. I didn't see any wildlife the entire time I was there even when I went to Denali park. We saw some sheep but they were little dots miles away. And I saw the ducks at Chena and that was it. No moose or bears. Remember don't come in the end of August.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Amana, Iowa, United States
“don't eat here if you're not stayin' here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

After a lovely time in the Hot Springs we decided to go to the restaurant. At 8:30 pm we were told that there was a 45 minute wait and we were willing to do that. The host asked if we were 'staying with us'. We were not, but had spent $10 per person to use the Hot Springs. We were then told that it would be too late and the kitchen would be closed. Though clearly we would be seated by 9:15pm and the kitchen advertised as closing at 10 pm. The man that talked with us was extremely rude! We loved the Springs disliked the staff. We never tasted the food.

• Visited June 2012
Healy
“A Nice Suprise of Delicious Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Hats off to David the Restaurant Manager, who knows what guests truly want in a dining experience! He is very attentive. Our server was great as well. This is not a fine dining retaurant, mostly because of the decor. Our food was absolutely delicious! We started off with a nice bottle of white (very reasonably priced), the Scallop appetizer (we were delighted that the pesto was light as a dipping sauce), the Honey Mustard Walnut salad dressing was a real treat, the Lamb was cooked to perfection (tastey and tender) and the Yellow Curry Shrimp was out of this world; amazing flavour (not spicey, just right). We "had" to try the cheesecake of course, and this is the only thing we considered "AVERAGE". It was a bit too creamy for our liking. It tasted too whipped or something. But the overall dining experience was wonderful. The decor is simple and rustic - but we were not interested in that, just what the Chef was going to delight us with. It was a nice suprise of delicious food. Yummmm.m.m.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Chena Hot Springs Resort Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Chena Hot Springs Resort Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.