TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Best restaurant in the region” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Viva Mexico Tia Lupita

Restaurante Viva Mexico Tia Lupita
Porfiro Diaz #92, San Juan Cosala 45900, Mexico (Formerly Restaurante Viva Mexico Tia Lupita)
01 38 776 11058
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican, Steakhouse, Seafood, Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“Best restaurant in the region”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This spot serves a clientele of loyal regulars, but welcomes everyone warmly. The chile en nogada is the specialty and recommended – as are the margaritas. It's well worth a trip to San Juan Cosala for lunch a Viva Mexico

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chapala, Mexico
“Outstanding Mexican food with a flair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great service, reasonably priced, a "feel good atmosphere". The owner also gives a lot back to the underprivileged in his community, so a restauranteur to support. The food is wonderful. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is quite out of the way for us, but we make an effort to go there anyway.

Visited February 2013
Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chiles in Nogada a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Real Mexico. Augustine makes it all happen in this small village 5 kl (+-) from Ajijic...worth the drive.

Visited January 2013
Ajijic, Mexico
“Great food and service...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have visited Viva Mexico twice, with similar outcomes... Agusto and the staff go way beyond the expected... as you drive to the restaurant one can't believe there is a good meal about to happen. Children asking to be allowed to watch the car, make you think it needs to be... NOT! Good safe area. Opening with Margaritas is a great idea, the grande could float a boat and there's about half a bottle of Blanco in it... Great wines are available... the Guacamole is simply the best we have had in Lakeside. I have had the Pollo with Walnut is awesome, so much so, I had it both times. We were five the first trip and three the second and all the meals were excellent. Also, Agusto is President of the kids soccer league, and works with the food bank... both worthy of some discussion as he passionately describes how much both are needed and how folks can help. The many pieces of artwork are consigned and worthy... The waiters are sometimes a little too attentive, but they are doing a great job. Fun place, great ambiance and food.Can be a little hard to find... it is not on the Carretara, just a block back, enter from the Carretara at the west end of Porfirio Diaz Pte... it is about 600 yards in, on the left...

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Jose, CA
“Always a Warm Welcome and AMAZING Chiles en Nogada!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I just returned from my second trip to Lake Chapala. We have Ex-Pat friends that we stay with, when we visit.

Our hosts brought us to Viva Mexico, last year. The owner, Augustin, came out to greet us and, as I was attempting to order my favorite dish (Chiles Relleno), he stopped me "No-No-No Señora, you want to try our Chiles en Nogada!" I argued briefly and Augustin continued to insist "No, you really must try the Chiles en Nogada! It is our specialty!"

Well, I'm no dummy. I ordered the Chiles en Nogada and had a "Meg Ryan Moment" (Think "When Harry Met Sally"). Oh My GAWD - what an AMAZING dish!

Ever since then, I have been craving that dish. I even went so far as to look-up recipes online, and I've procured the ingredients on 2-3 occasions, but I've not worked-up the nerve to try to recreate it myself (it looks like a LOT of work!).

Well, I returned to Lake Chapala (Solo, this time - it was a "Girls-Weekend!") and INSISTED that we go back, proclaiming "I am totally JONESIN' for Chiles en Nogada!" And so we made our way back. Unfortunately, we discovered (at 8:20pm) that the restaurant now closes at 8:00pm. Augustin recognized us and came out to apologize (How amazing is that?!).

We made our way back the next night and, again, he greeted us personally. I told him - in my broken Spanish - that I had looked-up the recipe for Chiles en Nogada and that it looked like "Mucho Trabajo!" And my host further explained (in her perfect Spanish!) that I had flown down from San Jose California *just* so I could dine at his restaurant again. He smiled and guided us to our table.

We started our meal with Grande Margaritas and an appetizer of Queso Fundido (with chorizo and mushrooms) - sublime! And I got my Chiles en Nogada; it was just as AMAZING as I remembered. In fact, we asked our waitress if they might share the recipe with us. She shook her head and told my host "No, it is a secret."

Well, damned if Augustin didn't come out to our table, pull-up a chair and TELL US how he makes his Chiles en Nogada - including his "Secret Ingredient!" No, he didn't share EXACT proportions (and he smiled and agreed that it is a LOT of work!), but he gave me enough of a starting point for experimentation! (Now - if I can only find his "Secret Ingredient" here in the states!).

Anyway, this is a restaurant that truly makes me feel like I am "Family." The food is authentic and delicious. The staff is very attentive and Augustin is simply amazing. I know that - whenever I visit the Lake Chapala area - I will ALWAYS return!

• Visited October 2012