“Great value hotel, bad restaurant experience” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Sierra Hidalga
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ctra San Pedro A 397 Km 2, 29400 Ronda, Spain   |
Ranked #31 of 33 hotels in Ronda
Gemsaloola
“Great value hotel, bad restaurant experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a good value hotel just outside Ronda, it isn't in walking distance so you really need a car if you're staying here, the views from the front of the hotel aren't particularly scenic but I would think that most travellers will only be using the hotel as a base to explore the surrounding areas.

The rooms are clean and cleaned daily, the bathroom is good - overall its a good basic place to stay.

We only really met one member of the hotel staff, a really nice lady, who was young-ish with light brown hair, very helpful and pleasant, she didn't speak much English but that was a problem.

The hotel has an onsite restaurant which is really well attended by locals, and when I say really well, it's packed for breakfast and then early evening. We ate there twice, the first time it was quite busy and we ordered the paella as a main and Spanish omelette to start - no complaints, it was really nice. The lady from the front desk was on duty and really looked after us.

A few nights later we went back to the restaurant really looking forward to our meal as we had such a good experience a few nights ago. The room wasn't as busy, there was a few locals at the bar, we asked if it was ok to order food and the waiter said yes and fetched us some drinks and a menu. I ordered soup - I could just see into the kitchen from where I was sitting and saw it being warmed up in the microwave and heard it ping - there's nothing wrong with that and the soup was ok, my boyfriend order the Spanish omelette again and said it was unbelievably salty. We thought nothing more of it although we saw 'chef' come out of the kitchen and smiled at him, he gave us a forced smile and we saw him pull a face after! The mains came, I ordered the 'cod fillet' it was a piece of cod, smothered in sauce with a fried egg, no problem! I tasted the sauce and it was unbelievably salty, the fish was disgusting, soggy and absolutely stank, I've had better fillets from a freezer bag from Iceland and I mean that! I have NEVER had to leave a full plate of food before and I've eaten in some dodgy places on my travels - I don't think I've ever even left half due to it being inedible!

I complained in the nicest possible way and tried to explain why I couldn't eat it. We then become the main talking point (in Spanish) at the bar and had more horrid looks from the chef. We were charged full price - 20 euros for the cod, we felt so uncomfortable as the entire bar was watching I paid and left - not to return.

I'm not a moaner usually and I was so upset by the whole thing that I didn't want to go in again, so we didn't. We've put it down to the fact that the restaurant was empty and the chef couldn't be bothered. I have to say that I really do think the people that use the bar and restaurant and the staff prefer Spanish guests, it appears to be a very local place for local people and I think it may be hit and miss depending on the day/mood of the chef and who is on duty.

There's plenty of friendly places to eat in Ronda!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view request to stay at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here on our self organised fly-drive tour of Andalucia. We had a hire car to drive between cities and booked hotels with free parking out of the city centre, where we could leave the car and go in using public transport.

For Ronda, we had to take the car in as there doesn't seem to be public transport. But it wasn't a problem as the hotel is just outside the town and we found somewhere to park in a side street of the old town. Doing this meant that we had a long and thoroughly enjoyable walk to the main area and the bridge - Ronda is enchanting.

The hotel is very clean and (I should imagine) fairly recently refurbished. Free wi-fi is fast, rooms are very comfortable and quiet. Breakfast is from 9am which we thought was a bit late, but the staff offered to prepare something earlier for us if we preferred.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel is a 5-10 min drive from the centre of Ronda, so a car is essential. If driving up from the south the hotel is very easy to find, its right on the roadside and the sign is big enough to be spotted. The staff were very friendly and helpful and when I called up to say that we would arrive late, it was not a problem. The staff were very forgiving of our lack of Spanish and were really accommodating. We were given a big room with a view of the hills from the balcony and enjoyed the nice star-filled sky at night. The building site across the road didn't really affect us because during the day we were sightseeing in Ronda. Breakfast (5 Euro) of toast and local meat spreads was very good. Parking in front of the hotel and WiFi (in room) were free.

I would certainly consider going back, the staff were excellent and (provided you have a car) its nice to be out in the countryside.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011 via mobile

Lovely hotel, though a little way out it is only a 5 min drive into town and parking is pretty easy. The staff at this family owned hotel were so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Usually I try to board room in town but the places in Ronda were either booked out or too expensive. So we stayed about 2 km outside town. The hotel is new, the room a bit smaller than you normal hotel rooms. The bath impeccable and the breakfast that we bought seperately was regional and delicous. Many locals gathered here in the morning which I thought was a good sign.
Going downtown is no problem by car. We found a spot to park without problems, then we walked around and had great tapas on the market square.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

The hotel was very hard to find, and no English-speaking staff at the hotel made it very difficult to find and make ourselves understood, even though we actually speak some Spanish. There was heavy construction work nearby, making a visit to the pool impossible with all the noise.
At breakfast, we asked if they had some cheese and not only marmelade, and we got some kind of local cheese served. By check-out we ended up having to pay €13 (!!!!) for 5 slices of cheese, which we thought was included. Response from receptionist: "you should have asked for the price. I always ask for prices, even for coffee". Well, when you have breakfast included maybe someone should let ut us know that this included only toast with butter and jam???
The hotel is located outside of Ronda, and it is not within walking distance. The pool was also very dirty, and had probably not been cleaned since last year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Sutton. Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Though you do need a car if you stay at this hotel, I reckon not having a car in Andalucia would mean you would miss out on most of the fantastic rugged high altitude scenery there is to see. Stay away from the bucket & spade brigade & there are some lovely, quiet beaches to be found (Torre Guidiaro) on the way out towards Gibraltar is a good one. Advised by others that Gib itself is a bit disappointing so we gave it a miss in favour of the mountains. Parking in Ronda can be a bit tight but the old town is lovely. Natural Parks are empty of people but keep your eyes peeled for eagles soaring on the thermals.
It's a good value & well maintained hotel. They are currently building a new local hospital opposite the hotel but as the rooms & pool are out to the rear of the Hidalga, this was not a problem. We enjoyed our five days there & wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sierra Hidalga? Share your experiences!