“Excellent - a Unique experience, all hotels should follow!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Real 40, 29400 Ronda, Spain   |
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ronda
Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“Excellent - a Unique experience, all hotels should follow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We stayed just one night in the Enfrente Arte Hotel and wished we could have stayed longer! The hotel has very friendly staff, a boutique and unique feel with loads of quirky items around which begins as you enter as half a fiat 500 is the reception desk. You;re then told that you can help yourself to the bar at any time for free. It's well stocked and there's beer an wine on tap. Then you go through to the gardens and sit in gorgeous sun enjoying your drink on one of the many terraces with great views. After that you dangle your feet into the Dr Fish Pond and have them nibbled before you decide to have a dip in the pool or go to the sauna.

The rooms were great, all imaginative and individual. If you stay a few days some guests recommended hiring "The Tower" - a separate building all to yourself with three floors and a balcony.

I really can't praise this place enough. Stay here - unless you're a boring type who likes clinical hotels - then this isn't your place!

Only suggestion to staff - get a jacuzzi It would add the icing on the cake!

Room Tip: Try going for the Tower
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I loved this hotel, it was so different, the staff were so friendly and helpful, all drinks were available to you at all times including alcohol, fantastic.Breakfast was really good as well.
The only complaint was that the bed was not comfortable, I felt like I was going to fall into the centre of it, not supportive enough.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I can honestly say I have never stayed anywhere quite like this - there are 6 large communal rooms (including the bar and a Wii room), which for only 12 guest rooms is amazing. Decor can I guess best be described as "shabby chic" - and certainly very funky.

There is a free bar - you simply help yourself to beer, wine, coffee, soft drinks, etc. This did encourage the guests to use the bar and to be sociable, which was great. Outdoor areas are also numerous, with lots of places to hang out and amazing views across the valley.

Where things started to go wrong were in the room itself - the bed was uncomfortable with sheets that had seen better days and pillows that offered very little support. The bed creaked loudly every time one of us moved, these things plus the noise from the corridor meant we had quite poor nights sleep while we were there.

Sheets (the worn ones!) were not changed in teh 5 days we were there, and also by the time we left the floor felt quite gritty underfoot suggesting to me that cleaning was not as thorough as it might be.

The other downside was the plumbing. Hot water was occasionally temperamental and toliets were reluctant to flush.

These things said, most of the visitors had either stayed before or were there based on personal recommendations, so they must be doing some things right.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three days over Christmas and found it a fun funky and romantic place to stay in ronda, some reviews have said they found it a little shabby or past is prime but we found the home made creativity of the place the perfect antidote to all the bland corporate hotels we seem to find more and more of the time we loved the Japanese fish pedicure especially after pounding the winding hilly streets of ronda, our room (10) was just lovely with wooden shutters, a four poster bed and a balcony overlooking the misty hills and terracotta rooftops. Bathroom great with lovely powerful shower and breakfast just as special where have you ever been fed quails eggs before! ? And to top it all free wine, beer and soft drinks, if your looking for rustic charm with a difference look no further.

• Stayed December 2010
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We had high expectations of this hotel after it was recommended by a family member but unfortunately it failed to deliver.

We were there for 3 nights and realised on our first that the air conditioning in our room was not working (essential during mid-august for a good nights sleep). We made the hotel staff aware of this problem and were told that it would be fixed the following day. That day we were told that it had been fixed, however, it still was not working. After speaking to the hotel staff numerous times, we were continuously told that it was being or had been fixed. That night it was apparent that it still had not been fixed, we were told there were no spare rooms and we would have to make do. I eventually persuaded them to give us a fan (which barely made any difference), at no point were we offered anything to help resolve the situation.

An advantage to this hotel is that you settle your bill at the end of your stay and we were able to negotiate a small discount.

As others have said the hotel is quirky and unique but unfortunately this was over-shadowed by sleepless nights and trying to sort out the air con problem! Breakfast was ok in the mornings, there is a continental selection and you can have eggs and bacon cooked to order.

On to some positives about ronda...
Ronda is a lovely place and we enjoyed exploring the town. There are lots of nice restaurants offering a variety of food. It's definitely worth having a walk down to the gorge to get spectacular views of the famous arches.

I recommend having a look around the bullring and also the Arabic baths (free on a Sunday).

• Stayed August 2010
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Details: 3 nights in a type A room and 1 night in a type A deluxe. ( "deluxe" has broad interpretation in Spain.) Room 6 @ 90euros and Room 7 @ 105 euros excluding tax of 8%.
Originally booked 4 nights in the deluxe room but found when we got there that the bed was a queen size - no king size and the twin bed room was just not suitable for us. So, we downgraded in size to the Type A room. This room was brighter though was missing the balcony that Room 7 had. Otherwise the fittings were the same.
There's plenty on Youtube and the Net on this place to look at. So, I won't bother with the decor. Suffice to say it is eclectic, curious and evokes the rock/pop art atmosphere of the 80s and the 90s. Lots of strong colours, lots of "funky" stuff.
So, why am I scratching my head wondering what we paid for. You know something's wrong when you're thinking that.
Strip out the art/funk and you're with guest comfort as the means to assess.
Pluses:
- location; in the old part of the town. Here I was thinking that Ronda was a quaint white village. Yep, one bit is that, but the rest is standard Spanish mid-rise with 30,000 people!
The hotel is about a 5 min. walk uphill into the main shopping centre and close to the original settlement of Ronda.
- staff: Victor and Anna very helpful, speak very good English and attentive in dealing with us and other guests. The owner should count himself lucky to have staff like these.
- breakfasts, especially if you like them hot. If you eat cereals, forget it; coco pops and corn flakes are a joke at this price. Breakfast is included in the tariff.
- internally, quiet hotel. Between room insulation was pretty good. we had a family with 3 young kids beside us and we heard nothing. Very unusual for Spain.
- outlook; the back of the hotel has some pleasant vistas over the surrounding valley.
- the amenities such as the sauna and pool.
Miinuses:
- both rooms faced the narrow, cobble stone street. No sound proofing on the windows so you will hear road traffic;
- poor ventilation in R. 6. Condensation was always on the windows.
- bed linen; this one is bizarre - on both rooms sheets too short for the beds - would not tuck under. Why? Who knows. Needs to be replaced with hotel standard linen.
- substandard pillows but this is pretty common in our experience, especially for this price.
- no luggage stands in either room but, oddly, 4 chairs in the deluxe room. Why? Who knows.
- de luxe room had no table light and combined with ridiculous blue lighting made it impossible to work at the desk.
- bathroom towels in both rooms of variable quality.
- poor room lighting in the de luxe room.
-shower heads are cheap and provide a substandard shower experience but the water was hot and quick.
- type A room bathroom was just too small for this price.
- marine grade carpet as flooring in the deluxe room was laughable. What was the owner thinking?
- the free bar with wine, beer. Never equate "free" with quality. In a country awash with cheap quality wine, the owner has chosen no-name brands which you end up tipping into the sink. I saw another guest dump her rose into the sink. Same with the coffee, a odd taste caused bu having ground coffee sitting in the grinder for days. A waste of a good, commercial grade coffee machine.
The hotel needs a good spruce up, and a spruce up done by professionals. Check out the paint job in 7 and you'll see what I mean.
There's just no point in pointlessly cutting corners in this industry. People aren't that dumb.
Like Ronda, the hotel appears to be living off its history. An air of complacency.

I wouldn't stay here again but then I probably wouldn't come to Ronda again.
If you like atmosphere in your hotels and are happy to pay a premium for it, then this is the place for you. You won't forget the place ever, and it will be a nice conversation filler for a while at least.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
EquipoHotel, Propietario at Hotel Enfrente Arte, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
After running 15 years hotel Enfrentearte and receiving around 100 reviews on tripadvisor, I felt the urge to reply some of your comments on my place.

I took the time to go through your other reviews of your trip through Spain and Italy in order to understand better who you are and what you were looking for. I found out that you have written a vast review on each place you stayed in and by reading them all, I got a pretty good view on what your concerns are during your hotel stay.

First of all you always analise the "silence factor" on each of the rooms you stayed in; you minitiously describe the noise of elevators, isolation of windows, thickness of walls, arrival time of other guests and much more....
I was personally missing a phantom showing up at 05:43 am in the hall way disturbing your sleep or surely molesting one of your profound analyzes on how to run a B&B as you like them to be.

Conclusion of this first point is that you like to have a complete sound proof room with no noise whatsoever to enjoy a well deserved sleep; maybe a recording studio could do the job as long as there are no artist nearby who could eventually disturb your "sound of silence".

Secondly I will compile all your other analyses on a hotel following your likes by stating I find it rather strange that someone who stays in about 10 hotels finds the need to go through each bed linen, towel,matress,luggage store, lightning,floor carpet and so much more while he is on holiday ...for God's sake

I can only wonder how it must be trying to enjoy yourself by constantly and obsessively being on the hunt for defaults,...
In my place you directly attack me several times on my professionalism and you use terms as "ridiculous" and " laughable" in a discriminative way.

Let me tell you that I don't consider myself as a professional hotel keeper, but after working for more then 20 years in the music and entertainment business, I do consider myself a a professional traveller having stayed worldwide in more then a thousand hotels from cheap B&B up to your typical 5 star Sheraton and let me tell you just one thing: When I travel, I go out to dine,to meet new people and old friends to have a drink with and preferable a dance,... I am not on the constant look out for being eventually disturbed by some noise of other guest having a good time and I surely don't find the time to analyse every night lamp or bed sheet, towel quality or window thickness,...simply because I mostly have a lot of fun and so much more other interesting things to do on my trips.

When I read in one of your endless reviews you liked the harp they were somewhere playing in the reception lobby I was finally completely convinced you went to the wrong place when staying at mine....

We have James Brown, smooth bossa nova and funky soul on our sound system and we profile ourselves since day one as different, eclectic and bohemian; so by making a reservation you should of known where you were checking in, especially being the Mr Sherlock Homes of the hotel industry.

So even if "one day" all our towels, linen and luggage space will be at your convenience ,it will still be a day impossible to find a "harp player" in my main lobby bar.

So where you the right man in the wrong place or the opposite? Who knows,...or better, who cares?

When you, once again, brutally despise the wine I freely serve by saying it is no label wine,I can tell you we serve Ribera del Duero and Rioja and have the more up-grated "reservas" at a nowhere else reasonable price at your disposal. So please, mr connoisseur, inform yourself just that little bit more by naming some of the most rewarded wine brands as no- label wine.
Something else would be the fact that you personally don't like our selection of wines,...fair enough; but that's why we have the other wines for sale in order to avoid any misunderstanding taste wise.

Our juices are from the Granini brand, fresh drinks from the Coca Cola brand etc, so if you once again state that I "fool" my clients by serving them no quality I think you honestly go one step too far...as I always have taken in consideration to serve first class labels just because everything is included in the hotel room price and comments like yours would undermine completely the basic idea of the hospitality we try to offer since 15 years.

I there for strongly advise you to open asap your own b&b enabling you to ventilate all your obsessions and recommendations and otherwise I would strongly and more then ever personally advise you to stay "way down under".

Last but not least I would like to invite you and all other interested readers to have a look on what "other" professionals had to say about our hotel.This is an extract of a survey through a top 20 ranking for European B&B by "The Times" in 2009 Enfrentearte ended up at spot nr 9 in Europe and was the first rated in Spain.

Acceptable is the fact that you use, as millions of others, the new media to freely opinion on the professionalism of others and to despise my personal tastes, so I take this opportunity to tell you I was charmed by the critic of those "other" professionals her above mentioned,...and yes, "Regrets,...I had a few, but then again, to few to mention",...sure Franky would have liked my place.

Filip Eyckmans
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

It's taken me a while to write this review, but that's no reflection on the place! We really loved staying here, the decor was very arty, funky and imaginative. The food was great, and free drinks a real bonus. We had a total of 2 rooms, and both were very nice and spacious. The location was pretty good too, although not right in the middle of town, it was within walking distance to the pretty town of Ronda. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Enfrente Arte? Share your experiences!