“Very variable some excellent dishes some very poor offhand service!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Almocabar

Almocabar
Plaza Ruedo Alameda, 5 | Barrio de San Francisco, Ronda, 29400 Ronda, Spain
34 952 87 59 77
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 193 Restaurants in Ronda
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Very variable some excellent dishes some very poor offhand service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Came because of trip advisor and rough guide recommendations. There is a menu in English and Spanish waiters don't speak English my starter of big prawns ie langoustines with black salt 2 for 25 euros were superb my wife's artichokes with foie gras were awful overlooked and soggy, her partridge stew for main was excellent my lamb chops were ordinary. We had the chocolate cke with white chocolate for desert but they forgot the white chocolate and we had to send it back and ask for it. We asked for water 3times before it arrived with desert and as a piece de resistance the owner knocked over the next tables wine red over my wife's trousers and bag , not a word of apology! So choose well and you won't be disappointed , choose badly you will. Very inconsistent standard with offhand service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Off the charts lamb chops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I can't speak of anything but the lamb chops... If you are a lamb chop lover as my wife and I you will love this place! All we can say is that the six small chops with grilled veggies are to die for... We both ate them to the bone fat and all WOW! Having also experienced the number one place in Ronda just across the street, I rate this place better. It's a serious restaurant not an informal tapa bar. The wines are very good and the service is good as well.

I say ... Try it you'll like it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Martinez, California
“Inconsistent dinners but an overall really good dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

You walk though the bar area to get to the dining room in the back. There are perhaps a dozen tables in a really pretty room. They gave us a plate of olives and big hot French rolls with olive oil sprinkled with black salt flakes. The black salt was so unique and flavorful that I'm going to see if I can find it when we return home.

We didn’t order any appetizers as we had stopped at a bar earlier and had a some tapas. I had duck breast with a berry sauce and it was probably the best meal I had in Ronda – and probably the worst my husband had as his grouper was badly undercooked. He should have sent it back. We did have dessert – Mandarin Ice Cream and Lemon Sorbet with Vodka & Cava. The Lemon ‘drink’ came in a glass with a straw. Both were really refreshing and terrific. They then gave us a little glass with an almond liqueur similar to Amaretto. With the exception of the undercooked fish, was a really good dinner! Dinner with a cerveza & vino was €55.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“what????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just had dinner there and it almost ruined my impression of Ronda. The food was subpar and expensive! They charged for the bread and olives! I don't understand the great reviews! Stick to des locos just beyond the gates.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Gastra-Pub goes Spanish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Just like a British pub, here you are greeted with a bar. They have some traditional tapas, but continue on to the gorgeous dining room. Here, you will find a long menu of Andalusian specialties. But there’s more: a list of 6+ specials of the day. These are not listed in English and handwritten, so bring your Spanish dictionary. We were surrounded by Americans but I think there are lots of locals in the front area. Waiters were very attentive and animated. (it’s a small restaurant.)
We started with grilled squid with truffle sauce. This was tender medium size squid stuffed with their own tentacles and the truffle was not over-powering. I had lamb sweetbreads that were so light and delicate inside that I could have had two plates of them. My friend experienced something odd. He ordered veal and received what seemed to be a thin slab of steak (Flintstone size.) It was outstanding and our waiter did not speak much English, so we kept it anyway. Instead of ordering another plate of sweetbreads I had to help him finish it. So tender. We never figured out if that was the way veal was served or if there was a mistake.
Now a word about the gorgeous dining room. This was one of the few Spanish restaurants we ate in that had not been decorated by ‘chance’ and by the family. Of course, the alternative in Spain seems to be some dreadful modern tomb that adds nothing to the dining experience. Here we have a tasteful conscious design that embodies Spanish traditions in a coordinated effort. The colors of the Spanish tiles were carried throughout as well as twig panel accents. The bathroom is a Turkish bath. A success all around.
It is not in Ronda. It's in the next town; down the hill. Driving might be a good idea.It's a hike.

• Visited April 2013