“Perfect solo trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat

You added Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat to your Saves list
Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat
Jl Pantai Purnama 42 | Geographic coordinates are Latitude -8.61136 and Longitude 115.30518, Sukawati, Bali 80582, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Sukawati B&B and Inns
“Perfect solo trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Floating Leaf Eco Retreat from 14-19 June in my first solo trip to Bali.

It was my first solo trip abroad so naturally I was a little nervous. I touched base with the owners via email before my trip and immediatley heard back, I had my queries answered and was provided with extra useful information to prepare me for my trip.

I arranged an airport transfer and was greeted by two friendly staff members from the retreat awaiting my arrival.

Upon arrival at the retreat I was greeted by Mikaku and a team of staff. I was instantly made to feel part of the family, given a tour of the retreat and spoke with Mikaku about the activities I would like to do whilst I was there. At my request, Mikaku was able to organise a tour a day trip of cultural immersion day, a trip to the holy springs and traditional healer, a day out surfing and a trek up the volcano. Nothing was too much trouble to arrange.

The retreat itself is visually stunning whilst boasting vibrant colours and in a mostly open plan layout. The villas are very comfortable and have all the necessitates needed for a great stay. The retreat boasts recycled furniture and local artworks. There are some great spaces where you can just chill out, read a book and a enjoy the sunset.

The spa services were very affordable and the staff were fantastic. I had couple of treatments during my stay and always felt refreshed and relaxed after the treatments.

The food was always freshly prepared and absolutley delicious! They follow the real food concept which ensures that everything you eat is packed full of micronutrients and is good for you!

The retreat has the best yoga hall I've ever been in with incredible views of rice fields and the ocean. The yoga classes were great and one of my trip highlights.

I highly recommend the Floating Leaf Eco Retreat to experience a different and in my opionion a better side of Bali! I had a fantastic stay and cannot thank Mikaku, Putu and the rest of the team at FLER enough for taking such good care of me!

• Stayed June 2014
MikakuFloatingLeaf, Owner at Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Hello and Thank you
It was a true pleasure to host you at Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat. In our emails prior to your arrival you indicated you needed some healing and a sacred space to rejuvenate. We attempted to provide you with this to the best of our abilities and we are overjoyed that you found us to be what you needed.
We admire your adventurous spirit and it was a joy to help you on your quest. We covered a lot of group from deeply spiritual healing sessions, to epic surfing adventures; from yoga classes to just relaxing poolside with a tropical drink. We wish you all the best and hope you can come back and see us soon. Thank you for your kind words about us. The staff and I send you all our best.
Warmest regards,
Mikaku

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

After decades of travel, I finally found a place that offers everything that means the most to me when on vacation. Floating Leaf seems like it created just for me. I immediately felt right at home in the lush and friendly surroundings. Attention to every detail was apparent both in the architecture and decoration, as well as the service. The staff attended to every need and desire, sometimes even before I realized it myself.

The rooms are completely round and user friendly. Everything I needed was at my fingertips. All amenities are top of the line quality and they even provided a beautiful traditional robe and slippers.

For me, surfing is essential. The hotel is located near some of the best waves in the world. In fact, Keramas, where the world championships were held a few months ago, is just a few minutes away. Several uncrowded breaks are quite close. To make it even better, since my wife and kids don’t surf, there is plenty for them to do like spa treatments, cultural excursions, cooking classes, etc. While I get my surf fix. Everyone is happy.

We thought we we going to a resort and Floating Leaf is smaller than we anticipated. There are only six rooms but all the amenities of a resort (like a huge and amazing pool). This turned out to be a blessing as it was if we had our own private villa with a full staff. For the price, the experience can not be beat.

And all of this is done in a way that is kind to the environment, the local people and Bali tourism as a whole. Its amazing that a place can be so plush, comfortable, stylish and cool and still be eco-friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MikakuFloatingLeaf, Owner at Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for this kind review. I am so happy we were able to provide you with the paradise vacation you were searching for. The surf near us is fantastic as you found out. I enjoyed taking you to our favorite lesser known spots. The joy on your face as one of only 2 surfers on a world class break was priceless.
We are also thrilled that while you were having the surf adventure of your dreams, your family was happy and well taken care of playing in the pool and getting pampered in the spa.
We thank you for choosing Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat and we cant wait for your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Spending time at Floating Leaf with Mika and Putu (Michael and Maryam) was truly a life altering experience. I had traveled to Bali with them in 2012 and was looking forward to returning with some of my friends (and their friends.) The group was blown away by all that we were exposed to at Floating Leaf and in Bali.
The eco-retreat was beautiful, so much more than promised. Our rooms were comfortable and unique and provided us with everything we needed to feel at home. The common areas were great as well, with the floating lounge being the perfect place to sit with iPads/laptops and do emails, or to relax with a drink and talk with friends. The pool was always inviting us in for a cooling dip, to do some laps, or just to sit and visit.
And the yoga floor was spacious, beautiful and useful. We practiced yoga some days; did some ecstatic dance in the evening; and meditated there every morning. Some used it during the day just to have a quiet moment. There were also spaces throughout the resort to have intimate conversations with others or to find some solitude away from the group.
The food was beyond delicious and healthy to boot. The portions were just right and the presentation enticing. The staff took extra care to meet the special needs of the guests. We had a marvelous selection and were never served the same thing twice (unless by special request!) And the selection of drinks, non-alcoholic and otherwise were refreshing and yummy as well.
We had an interesting and diverse itinerary, full of cultural destinations, sacred ceremonies and healing experiences. We were enjoyed the incredible combination of Putu's being born and raised in Bali, and her understanding the Balinese language and culture, as well as Mika's knowledge of the stories, myths and art of Bali. As an artist/photographer himself, Mika has spent more than 20 years exploring Bali, learning to speak the language and understand the inner workings of this place people refer to as paradise.
As the group leader, I'm happy to say we all had a fabulous time and I will return to Floating Leaf and bring more people along to be treated like royalty by the fantastic staff and hosts.

Room Tip: All the rooms were unique in their own way and comfortable. Choose a first floor if you have a probl...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Mikaku, Owner at Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you so very much for your kind words, your business and your friendship. You should be commended for gathering such an amazing group of people to join you on your Bali adventure. We are still buzzing from your time here and it was truly special and meaningful for all involved. For someone to be able to gather such a caring, insightful and compassionate group, says a lot about the group leader. You were fantastic and we thank you for introducing us to so many people who will become life long friends. Please come back and see us when you can and we promise to make it even more special yet again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

This was much more than I ever hope for. We were experiencing Bali~the people, the culture, the food, the ceremony and healing. Putu and Mikaku are so kind and loving, making sure all our needs were met. They provided healthy delicious meals, arranged transportation for anywhere we wanted and made it possible for us to do many things because they took care of these details. It felt like coming home every day and so many special things happened. The staff is the best and the space is beautifully laid out and comfortable. And relaxing spa treatments! This is the way to experience beautiful Bali!

Room Tip: there are 6 rooms, and they're all wonderful
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
How lovely to hear this and we thank you so much for believing in us, putting your trust in us and coming all the way to Bali. It was so important to us to provide you and your group with a profound and meaningful experience. We are delighted it was a success and you feel it met (and surpassed) your expectations. It was a fantastic group full of interesting and compassionate people. The staff and I had just as good as a time as you did and we thank you for being so kind, caring and generous.
Come back soon!
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Coming from America it seems strange to find a beautiful, nurturing home from home across the world in Bali, Indonesia, but that is what Mikaku and Putu have intentionally created here.
The care and details observed in everything from preparing the land to preparing the daily meals for the guests is impressive.
Whether a single woman traveling alone as I am, or as part of a group every effort is provided to show you Bali your way. It is absolutely safe, and you are granted as much or as little help as you want. They found a bicycle for one guest to cycle off to the black sand beach nearby, but were equally happy to drive me to the Holy Temple to perform a cleansing ceremony 45 minutes away.
On my first morning I was surprised with the gift of a surfing lesson from my brother in England ! Mikaku was so happy to share how they had been e mailing secretly for some time to set this up!
I met several different travelers from all walks of life and different ages in my time here, they were all interesting people, open and sharing their own unique experiences here and in the world at large. Hopeful stuff !
Clearly, I cannot rate Floating Leaf highly enough as you could pay a lot more for a sterile experience at many resorts. But when I return to Bali I will come back to these people and their wonderful staff who I now feel lucky enough to consider my friends.

• Stayed May 2014
Mikaku, Owner at Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you for your kind feedback and your visit was a glorious one. It was very important for us to provide you with the safe, healthy and nurturing space you were looking for. We were lucky to get to know you a bit via email prior to your stay and it helped create the environment you were seeking. Even better is the fact that it seems to have been effective and helped to create a healing time for you. This is so important to our core mission and hearing from you that it was helpful brings us great joy. We were sad to see you go but we hope you return soon as there is so much more Bali has to offer you. All the best and I know what you gained at Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat will stay with you for a long time.
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The unique design of Floating Leaf provided us with a truly different way to experience our vacation. The round rooms, open air areas, delicious and healthy food and great service made it a trip that I will remember for a lifetime. I am glad we were able to be one of their first groups there because it obvious that they will become very popular and hard to book in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so very much. You are family now and we will always have space for you. Dont you worry about that. Your visit here was truly wonderful and myself and the staff are still buzzing from it. Your group brought so much love, positive energy and fun to Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat. We all thank you for that and we speak of you fondly every day. Much love from all of us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I love to travel and love adventure. The stay at Floating Leaf has been, bar none, one of the best travel experiences I have ever enjoyed. The resort itself is gorgeous, intimate, unique, and Mika and Putu and the staff of gentle kind and accommodating Balinese, made it most wonderful. Round rooms with views to the sea and rice fields, comfortable beds, indoor-outdoor private baths with great showers and room for all your things- then you step out to the pool with Diwa Sri watching over you, flowers everywhere, to the yoga studio on high, at sunrise. And a Balinese band goes down the road in an open truck playing the drums and chanting, as the sky illuminates over the mountains. Meditation followed by a breakfast such as you have never tasted and will want to try again and again. Spa treatments by skilled talented and loving people, well- trained by Beautiful Putu, whose former ownership of a spa in California shows in every service offered. She also is the genius behind the food and the excursion planner. Do not miss the water palace at TirtaGangaa nor the whitewater rafting on the Ayung river! With Michael as a tour guide- you learn so much about the culture, people, and the nooks and crannies of the land. We did a purification ceremony in a Balinese temple with few European/Americans about that was magnificent and very inspiring.
Bring a group or the person you love and be prepared to be pampered, cherished, and renewed.
Bali is a magical kingdom- come and be guests at the home of Michael and Putu and you will be blessed forever. Floating Leaf- in a word, Awesome!!!

Room Tip: Upstairs, with double sets of windows. But all rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Mikaku, Owner at Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
This is exceptionally high praise coming from you- Thank you ever so much. I know you have traveled the world and have had world class experiences. To know we are in the same class as some of them is immensely fulfilling. My heart is happy to know that you not only noticed some of the small elements and the village life happening around you, but you felt it and enjoyed experiencing it. This is why we chose our location here in a traditional village so that our guests can have these authentic moments and really come to understand Balinese life and culture. Thank you again for your kindness and you are always welcome to come back home to Floating Leaf.

Been to Bali Floating Leaf Eco-Retreat? Share your experiences!